4 Years Today - Living in Adelaide

Boxertony

4 years today my family and I arrived in Adelaide, with 5,000 pounds no jobs, no car, no furniture, and a rental home for one month. 4 years later and now I live in large three bedroom home with a large swimming pool in the garden and only ten minutes walk to our local beach (Henley Beach). I have a lush new bright red convertible, so many amazing friends, who are more like my Aussie family. I enjoy a great social life, I play golf with the lads every Sunday and have sun tan for 7 months of the year. Been to Sydney, Gold Coast and also Bali. Nathan my Son has given us a gorgeous cute Grandson called Harlow-Blu Millar Smith and now lives in the Gold Coast. Shannon my daughter is settled with a good job, nice car and partying at the weekends. My daughter Charlotte is growing up fast and turning into one gorgeous lady and becoming more intelligent from school every day. My precious wife (Jane) is a Nurse at Calvary North Adelaide Hospital and the rock of this family, she is genuine, she cares for us all and she provides for us in all ways. My mother has visited us twice and Jane's cousin has been once and coming again this year. My family and I are looking forward to attending my sister's wedding in Burnley, Lancashire in June 2014 and most of all seeing my Dad. I followed my dream and all my dreams have come true. Australia has embraced me and I will becoming a Citizen of Australia.

We have had some hard times, I have been laid off from 5 jobs and my 6th job (which I am now physically unable to perform), caused me a back injury, disc bulges and sciatica and I have had two epidurals so far. I have had surgery on both shoulders and Jane has been diagnosed with a potential serious health problem. Three years ago I was constant fighting with my two oldest children because they wanted to go back to the UK, but I just about managed for them both to agree to stay in Australia for another year till we gained permanent residency. Two years in and they loved living in Australia. I am currently recovering from back injury and not earned any money since September 2013. I am constantly looking for work.

But I still believe that I am living the Aussie dream.................

Guest holliepop

Congratulations- an inspiring and uplifting post! We leave for Adelaide in 10 days so this post is just what I needed to read in the run up to the start of our new adventure- thanks!

holliepop

Hollie don't worry, just keep in mind that it is Australia and things are done differently and try not to compare it to England, (especially the cost of things) people are a lot more laidback and definitely don't compare the prices of stuff, its a lot more expensive. Regarding jobs you may have to take a step backwards to get a job, please don't come with high hopes and expect to gain a brill job straight away. Weather is amazing - gorgeous beaches and homes. Keep in touch and you can round to ours once you have arrived and have swim in our pool. Live the Aussie dream gal and you might as well bring Rich lol. Does Rich play golf, because a lot of us lads play golf on Sundays.

Enjoy the trip of a lifetime

Tony

Guest holliepop

hey, no he doesn't play golf unfortunately. I'm coming to Oz with realistic expectations and know what I am in for as I have a sister who lives in Wyn Vale & I have been over a couple of times. I'm not coming because I don't like England, I'm coming because I love Australia! Will hold you to a dip in your pool and we will bring the beers :) cheers

• 2 weeks later...