Semaphore Info

Guest Shelle

Hi all,

We are moving to Australia in a few weeks. Can anyone give me some info on what it is like to live in Semaphore? Are there many jobs around this region? Any advice is much appreciated :)

Not to be negative however its an area we had dismissed preferring Unley and surrounding areas.

Semaphore came across a little like many UK coastal towns, full of character and charm however just a little run down.

S....don't shoot me down, only my opinion and im frequently wrong!

Guest John Alderson

Semaphore is a nice beach suburb, and has developed over the last couple of years into a more cosmopolitan feel, but has greater potential. Train lines link to the city, and a 30 min drive. Jobs depend on your skill sets. But plenty of opportunities within 20 min drive.

Work depends on what you do and (obviously) if you strike lucky with a vacancy occuring in that area while you're looking. Port Adelaide and a lot of industrial areas around Gepps Cross are close by, and it's easy into the city from Semaphore. We don't go there as often as we did when we first arrived as we're now up in the hills (at first, we rented about 20 mins away and used to go there every couple of weeks) but it's our favourite beach, and we could certainly live there.

img264.jpg

I really like Semaphore. It is nearer the industrial areas around Port Adelaide so I can see why some people don't like it, but it has a lot to offer. It is an honest working class area without too many pretensions. There are some interesting shops (a bit different from the chain stores you get in the malls), plenty of restaurants, cafes, ice cream parlours, an independent cinema ($8 tickets - cheap and cheerful). There is lots of room at the seafront, wide open grass spaces, a water slide and small amusement area, the jetty to walk along and fish from, lots of playgrounds for the kiddies, a skate park, bbqs etc, even a miniature steam train that does rides in the summer months. The beach is popular with kite surfers. Plus there is the old palais (now a pub/venue). It does have a old-fashioned seaside charm but that gives it character (which is hard to come by in Australia). There are always plenty of events throughout the year, street fairs, new years eve fireworks etc, and over the summer there is a permanent fun fair with rides (dodgems etc). There are some beautiful old houses in Semaphore, but they are highly sought after, especially if they have been modernised. We go there quite often, just to go for a walk along the seafront and get an icecream - it is always lively at the weekends. The train to the city goes through Ethelton/Glanville, nearby to Semaphore - it apparently used to go right along Semaphore Road to the beach (OH has photos of last train) - that is why the road is so wide.

img251.jpg

img250.jpg

Edited by Anne B

I love Semaphore. I don't find it rough around the edges - some of the nearby suburbs are a little rough but nothing terrible. I think it has charm and character - lots of gorgeous old homes. Gorgeous beaches and lots of quirky non-chain shops, restaurants and cafes as in the above post. It's an easy train ride into the city. To me it feels like a proper 'high street'.

Guest Guest12727

We also like Semaphore and it is the beach we often go to, one of the closest from where we live (about 25mins drive). It is an area I would consider living. I have a friend who lives there, she has just sold her house (gorgeous converted church) and has bought in the same area, but slightly further from the main beach region. It does get pretty busy there in the summer holiday season, but this keeps it lively. She rides her bike to work in The City which shows how close it is and the train is a good service too. My understanding is that the best areas are on the peninsula side, between the sea and the Port river.

We lived in Semaphore for 3 years, just moved away a month ago. I found it chock full of goods and services and it's a mixed residential area, some properties are lovely, some are run down. It has a faded yet proud history and a charm about it. Not a pretentious suburb like some other beach areas, and you do run into some bogans, but give me a bogan over a jumped-up bogan any day! If one prefers diversity and a more authentic Aussie beachside living experience, then Semaphore is it.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am liking the sound of this area, not too far from the city and plenty to do :) I work in IT and my other half does chippy shuttering so hopefully we will have a good chance of getting a job even if it means traveling into the city.

Guest matt n mel

I really like Semaphore. I lived further up the coast in North Haven for the first year I lived here, and it's only ten mins to Semaphore from there, or an hour or so for a beach walk, so I use to visit every week. I love the café called Whipped, does great coffee and amazing breakfasts. The independent cinema that someone mentioned is quirky and full of charm (and cheap!) Loads of places to eat, in the evening but it's very quiet in winter months- almost can be like a ghost town at night. The other good thing about Semaphore is it's proximity to West Lakes Westfield shopping centre (less than 10 min drive)- good for shopping without having to go all the way into the city (not that it's that far, but you hit traffic and it can be half an hr or so)