Arriving April 2014

Bal67

Hi Bal67 & Pommiepattons

Not long now ! Good luck with all your goodbyes x x

If you go onto SA Immigration website there is all the information that you will need to settle into your new life in Adelaide.

As you are a state nominated migrant it is condition of your visa that you register your arrival and complete five short surveys during your first two years in South Australia. We have just completed our 2nd survey at 6 month's. When you arrive if you do not receive your invitation perhaps cause you have changed your email address etc to register or complete a survey you just need to email DMITREImmigrationSARegistrations@sa.gov.au. with your details. It also tells you how to register for the information sessions that I mentioned in another post, the information is in the "once you've arrived" tab.

Jo

Edited by evojoan

All the usual things.

Get bank sorted (easy as if you've already opened an Aus account online before you leave as you just go in to activate and collect cards etc)

Medical insurance or medicare (do this on a Saturday morning at a Centrelink as its much quieter and hardly any waiting around as Centrelink side of things is closed on Saturdays. Check your local ones opening times though to be safe).

Check out schools if you've kids. Phone to arrange a look round etc. Check zones as if zoned will only take if on a long term lease or bought in the zone.

If you need a car, arrange a hire one for a few days or get busy and find one to buy asap. Read up on the ins and outs of running a car, rego and so on.

If you are changing your DL over, do so asap as it will count a big chunk toward your 100 points (ID). Centres all over, just check which one is local to you.

Hi guys

We are planning our big move for the middle of April and I wanted a list of what things we need to do upon arrival on a 489 visa!!

Many thanks

Bal :arghh:

The move is so stressful, so much to do in so little time!!

Things to do asap:

- Bank (NAB were great with us)

- Get SA Driving licence (needed for ID lots)

- Apply online for TFN (tax file number)

- Register with Medicare

- Register with centrelink

Things to do asap:

- Bank (NAB were great with us)

- Get SA Driving licence (needed for ID lots)

- Apply online for TFN (tax file number)

- Register with Medicare

- Register with centrelink

Hi Gus,

Are these things I can do from the UK, or shall I wait until I get to Adelaide?

Bal

Hi, one other thing we have on our list is Ambulance Cover. I am keeping an eye on this thread as I am sure there are many things we have forgot!

I hope this helps.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply and please do keep me posted, too much going on for me at the moment with work, home etc etc!!!!

Really appreciate your help.

Bal

xx

Edited by Bal67

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Bal :wink:

The most important thing when you arrive that noone seems to have mentioned.......stop, take a deep breath, have a sleep to ward off too much jet lag......

then......give yourself two whole days with no need to organise anything, there is nothing that won't wait.....go for a walk around whereever you are staying, go buy a paper and sit in a coffee shop and people watch, buy the kids a spider, eat fish and chips at the beach, build sandcastles, visit a reserve and hunt for koalas, use a free bbq that can be found evey where, discover the local play parks, buy a bottle (or2!) of local wine and some local cheese and sit in the garden once kids are in bed and enjoy!

Everything else will be there in 2 days still, and you will be in a whole lot better place to get going with it all.......remember, ENJOY

Hi Bal :wink:

The most important thing when you arrive that noone seems to have mentioned.......stop, take a deep breath, have a sleep to ward off too much jet lag......

then......give yourself two whole days with no need to organise anything, there is nothing that won't wait.....go for a walk around whereever you are staying, go buy a paper and sit in a coffee shop and people watch, buy the kids a spider, eat fish and chips at the beach, build sandcastles, visit a reserve and hunt for koalas, use a free bbq that can be found evey where, discover the local play parks, buy a bottle (or2!) of local wine and some local cheese and sit in the garden once kids are in bed and enjoy!

Everything else will be there in 2 days still, and you will be in a whole lot better place to get going with it all.......remember, ENJOY

Do you know what Claire, that's the nicest thing anyone has told me to do for a while and you know what that's exactly what I am going to do!!!

Thanks Hun, will you be around to join me for a cuppa?

Bal xx