Welcome to Adelaide....

scooterdan

Well after nearly 2 years of paper work and stress we finally landed in Adelaide on 30th April 2008....and what lovely typical English weather greeted us!!! Cant have it all can you!

Flights:

We flew with Singapore Air from Heathrow, via a 6 hour stop in Singapore and onto Adelaide. The first leg was 12 hours....and we slept through most of it so cant really say alot. Food was really nice....kept offering snacks and drinks while we were awake. Singapore airport is something else, its huge but somehow never crowded. We went into the Transit lounge and had showers and refreshments.....so nice after all that flying!! We used the free wifi and free PC's all with no trouble. We were heading to the gardens but they were closed for improvements. So much shopping is available too.....shoppers paradise!!! Our second leg flight was also fine....slept for a bit of it...then watched the available films.... and played some games. The flight was was busier than the first leg but still had loads of drinks offered! Getting through customs and immigration was trouble free... and here we are.

Meet and Greet:

We were met by Dennis and Rene from the meet and greet service, who were great and friendly when we arrived. Nice to see a smiley face....while we probably looked terrible. They gave us so much info and leaflets, will have reading for months!! We went shopping to local Foodland and got the basics.....they even packed the bags for us!! We have their numbers and have had to promise to get in touch if we need anything!!! A highyl reccomended service!

Accom:

Dennis and Rene took us to our accomodation in Marino, took about 25min..quicker than i thought i would take! It is a small place but great for us 2 for 3 months. We have free broadband....so as you can tell...we are already connected. We have a sea view out of our front window...so that is real nice to wake up to!!! We have this flat for 3 months....will start looking around areas soon to get a good idea!

First Impression:

Our first impression is that Adelaide is quieter than we are used to....we walked from Marino to Brighton yesterday and saw about 3 people!! The place is spotlessly clean from what we have seen so far...!!! We went to Marion Mall to get sim cards...which was painfree. Used the local buses which were also clean...and the driver explained exactly how the system worked!! We are going to the city today....so will have a look around there later.

So far so good!

By the way....if anyone is interested our numbers are:

Dan : 0450527160

Steph : 0450527158

Will post more soon!

Dan and Steph

Guest Guest75

Welcome to Adelaide!!!

Glad things went OK.

I know Dennis and Rene - lovely folk:D

Sorry about the weather,it has cooled off a bit.

Enjoy your trip to the city :D:D

Excellent stuff Dan & steph, you know i only lived up the road from you(stone/staffs) & we are on the very edge of starting the process to move to Adelaide with our 2 children, your info was excellent, didn't know about the meet & greet service, great reading about your story there & what you have found, sounds great, keep us informed will you how it goes, all the best mates, Paul.

Guest Roo1

Welcome to Adelaide and Marino! I'm living not too far from you guys, I'll PM you with my number and we can meet for a coffee.

Judi x

Guest jen&ian

hI Dan & Steph,

So you've made it at last, soz about the weather, but give us a break it's not bad for nearly winter! Hope everthing continues to go well.

Jen:cute:

Guys,

Glad all going well so far and your first impressions are good. Like you say the airport at Singapore blows your mind and Adelaide is great. Give it a few days and it will get even better as it does grow on you!

Hope the trip inot the "big smoke" goes well,the buses are great to use, just wait till you try the O'Bahn (spelling??) thats spooky one minute your driving along the road and the next the driver is reading the papre as it belts up a concrete road!:wideeyed:

Saved you numbers on our phone. Keep in touch and keep us informed

Guest mOZzy

great that you got over in one piece - seems like you are well looked after!!!!

and good choice of picking a base with internet - i trained you well :biglaugh:

i want all the updates on a regular basis now!!!!

good luck with things to come and don't get too stressed :D

Guest katsmajic

hiya, were newbies too, been here 2 weeks today, and loving it, weve found life to be chilled - despite us having a manic whirlwind sorting things out - everyone has been so friendly and helpful - its great!

hope you settle in quickly xxx

Guest stephb

hi guys

welcome to adelaide! i can only just get away with saying that, having arrived a mere 2 days before you! hope youre doing well so far. im feeling slightly mad, but theres a very supportive network of people about which is lovely.

my number if you want to give me a shout... 0433 463221

karen from here has invited me out with a few folks tonight. ive no idea where yet but if you get this in time and fancy joining us call me and ill try and find out where i am!!!

steph

Hey all,

Thanks for all the welcomes and Pm's....appreciated so much and have written all down and will get round to everyone soon....!

Have been to city today and its great...for a supposedly small city, i can easily get lost!! So many shops, malls and little areas to find!! Very clean too.....although i do spot there is wee bit of vandalism probs some places!!

Have applied for TFN online....took bout 10mins each. Have identified ourselfs in Westpac....easy peasy...just gotta wait for cards now. Found out exactly where to go for SA driving licences too!!

Speak to you all soon!

Dan and Steph

Guest Django

Glad your finding you feet. I know where to come when I need to find everything. By the time we get get there you'll both be experts. Have fun settling in.

Pete

Guest The Pottertons

Hi Guys, So pleased for you that you are finally there. Sounds so beautiful! You both seem so positive and really inspirational! Great to hear singapore airport has so many facilities-a shower halfway- Fantastic!!!!!! Good luck with exploring your new home and hope to see you both over there!:) Yvonne x

Guest twiggi

Hi there

Hope you're settling in okay. Just read the post, we arrived end of Feb this year and are currently renting at Glenelg, not too far from where you are. Once you get settled in, let us know if you fancy meeting up for a vino or two:)

Sara (26) and Iain (30)