Do you think that this is true from your experiences?

This is a very topical news item posted earlier today.

I find some of the findings surprising...

[h=1]Australians are racist and unfriendly, say migrants[/h]

• 7 hours ago March 24, 2014 11:25AM

883327-8be1ab56-b2cb-11e3-9592-fced9bc5820e.jpg

Many migrants love Australia’s lifestyle, but not attitudes. Source: AP

MIGRANTS say they like life in Australia even though many have experienced racism and believe we’re not the “caring, friendly and hospitable” people we like to think we are.

More than a third of recent arrivals have been discriminated against because of their skin colour, ethnicity or religion, a comprehensive survey backed by the Federal Government shows.

And while almost two thirds of migrants said they liked their new lives Down Under, barely any nominated Australians as the reason for their happiness.

The “Mapping Social Cohesion” report, authored by Monash University’s Professor Andrew Markus for the Scanlon Foundation, revealed that racism remains a problem in Australia.

Migrants who arrived in Australia between 2000 and 2010 nominated racism and discrimination as one of the things they least liked their new home, along with the cost of living and tax rates.

More than 41 per cent of migrants from non-English speaking backgrounds said they experienced discrimination in the last year and many said they feared walked alone at night or becoming a victim of crime.

Asked what they did like about Australia, only 3 per cent of migrants nominated having caring, friendly and hospitable neighbours as their first choice.

That was remarkably different from a similar survey 15 years ago, which showed that friendly Aussies were the most appealing part about moving Down Under.

And only 31 per cent of recent arrivals thought Australians could be trusted, while 51 per cent said “you can’t be too careful”.

Even migrants from New Zealand weren’t overly enthusiastic - only 1 per cent said our friendly nature was the thing they liked the most about Australia, while 18 per cent said they least liked the racism and discrimination they experienced here and 39 per cent were worried about becoming a victim of crime.

Professor Markus told 3AW radio that migrants from non-English speaking backgrounds were most likely to be affected.

“It’s particularly people from Asia, India, China – a range of countries from Asia where there is high levels of reported discrimination,” he said.

Asked what they liked most about Australia, 24 per cent of migrants nominated the Australian lifestyle as their first choice, 18 per cent said the standard and cost of living here, 12 per cent said human rights and freedoms, and 9 per cent liked the weather.

tom.minear@news.com.au

I agree - unfriendly - not at all. Generally I find Australians warm, welcoming, hospitable, friendly and open.

Racist - sadly yes, I find a lot of Aussies racist. Or perhaps just more openly racist than my experiences in the UK. Some comments made by people my age (late 20s) are things I wouldn't be shocked to hear people my parents age or older say, but never from people my age. Casual racism seems to be accepted more here, which makes me very sad.

Guest Guest12727

Unfortunately there are many uneducated and ignorant people around and this isn't helped by the role model set by Government.

I remember the outcry in the Adelaide Hills when they were bringing the asylum seekers there - blatant racism which was constantly reported by the media. Now that they are talking of closing the centre, many in the hills are rallying against this, saying they want the people to stay as there has been great enrichment to the community - sadly the media are nowhere to be heard on this story!

I agree with some of the comments made such as "you can never be to careful". There does seem to be a higher degree of racism here and there are a small minority of very selfish and self minded people here,but you would get that which ever country you live in.We do have a few VERY GOOD Auzzie friends and they are just awesome to be with and we have a lot of fun etc.We have done things here, as a family, that we would never of even thought about doing back in u.k. In general,I think us poms are more hardy and forgiving!!!We have had some frustrating times when there didn't really need to be and a lot of "What the hell just happened there?"times

Otherwise,Living the dream!

Questions many on here need to ask themselves before saying Aussies are racist.

Why did you leave UK - many say because of the number of immigrants in the UK!

Why ask for pommy workmen when needing a job done round the house?

At my local football club, the most racist comments I have heard came from an old UK pensioner! I have since hardly spoken to him as I won't give any racist the time of day if I can help it.

We arrived here 7 years ago.

To be honest, I didn't expect the locals to be so friendly and accepting. My children had very broad "foreign" accents and I expected them to have issues (bullying) at school....which didn't materialise. Most of their friends are local born and bred Aussies, down to earth, "say it as they see it" people.

I expected it to be more difficult to be accepted into "their world". The truth is that I still feel amazed by how well they accept integration of outsiders.

I expected that in every disagreement with "a local", I would be told in no uncertain terms where I should go back to....It hasn't happened.

There are always exceptions but I have been overwhelmed by their friendliness and willingness to help.

I meet many people all over the world, from the US, UK, South Africa etc. I think that it often takes time to uncover a persons true racial viewpoint and many people are willing to reveal how they feel and think when they have a commonality with you. I think that many Aussies are very direct (blunt!) and don't hide what they think.

Just a thought!

Tamara

Guest Guest12727

At my local football club, the most racist comments I have heard came from an old UK pensioner! I have since hardly spoken to him as I won't give any racist the time of day if I can help it.

I have a similar scenario. I had often heard the lady who runs a nearby post-office / newsagency being rude about people. One day when I was browsing a driver came in with a delivery for her. He was of Indian decent. She spoke to him quite rudely, then when he left she was extremely rude about him in a racist way to a customer she had been chatting with. I promptly left the store, made a complaint to Australia Post, and have not returned to buy anything from there again - that was about 5 years ago. We have two other post offices nearby where the staff are perfectly normal and I am happy to give them my business.

While I know some people are racist, it doesn't mean it is broadly condoned.

Interesting email from my son's school today, highlighting the activities they are doing over tthis couple of weeks around Harmony Day, National Day of Action Against Bullying and Violence and Close the Gap. There are 15 different activities listed spanning all year levels, R-12. I think most Aussies have an inclusive attitude and this is certainly the message we are trying to portray to our children.

Guest Guest12727
Racism doesn't only come by the way of insults. Discrimination also comes when someone doesn't hire you because you don't have "local experience".

It must be very frustrating and I am surprised that your profession, ICT security, needs local experience. Perhaps ask the next interviewer who tells you this what they mean exactly. Are there some courses you can do that might help you stand out?

Guest ColinOz
It must be very frustrating and I am surprised that your profession, ICT security, needs local experience. Perhaps ask the next interviewer who tells you this what they mean exactly. Are there some courses you can do that might help you stand out?

I'm afraid everybody in this forum knows what they mean about that :swoon:...., but to be more specific, most of the people that tell me that are recruiters.

The funny thing is that I have a geologist friend who gets the same answer, I don't know a lot about geology but don't think that Australia is made of different materials that you're not able to study or learn in other parts of this planet :wacko:

I think the geology thing is very relevant, like farming. Fundamentally they are the same, but in fact completely different.

Back to your profession, you must be seeing the wrong recruiters. It's the first time I have ever heard of IT people needing local experience. It must be said that recruiters here are pretty awful. They don't find you jobs, you have to register with them, and then tell them what jobs you want to be put forward to.