When is adelaide home

Guest deepbluesea

Guest deepbluesea

When is Adelaide home and when do we know it's the place we want to grow old in and end our day's .. ??

It's a massive journey to ful-fil our dream's and tick a box but do we want to go back to the UK ?? or do we hack it here and say the holiday is over

Just asking as I miss the UK at the moment have had some really good times here but is it time to say you've ticked the box and move one

has anyone got anything they can help us on here

thank you for taking the time to read this ...... :)

I don't think there is any definitive answer. Just what works for the individual.

I've never thought of this as being like holiday mode and having to hack it once that shine wears off. That's a strange thought to me migrating. I consider it home here but then I go with home not being so much a place as a state of mind. I'm with my family, we are all happy and enjoying life. Sure we have the not so good days or moments, but that isn't because we migrated, it's just life and it happened to us in the UK too.

We came here with a nothing has to be forever, we keep an open mind. I never had Australia or Adelaide built up in my head as being my dream so perhaps that has worked in my favour? It's a first world country and yes there are differences but it's not such a great leap of change that I feel lost or that I can't find my place here.

I think living overseas elsewhere for quite a few years has helped me immensely. I did this when I was single and before marriage and children. I was able to experience a few different countries and called them all home, embraced them and realised that the UK wasn't the only country that I could be happy in.

When all is said and done, some people find their place here, feel content and stay, others don't. That it takes a trip to the other side of the world to bring about the realisation they prefer the UK, ouch at the expense to find that out and all that but fair play as they wanted to give it a go and did so.

And who knows, those here for 20 years may still wake up one morning and want to go 'home'. It can hit at any time. Others know it from early on and never really settle. Some never give themselves a chance to.

Edited by snifter

My OH is from Adelaide and all his family are here so this is really his home. However he didn't feel settled until we moved in to our own home, 18 months after arriving here from the UK. He hated renting and the fact that that the house wasn't ours and we couldn't do anything with it and it's only now that we are in our own house that he feels like he is home. Me on the other hand, as long as I can unpack my stuff and organise my things I'm home anywhere, so I felt at home as soon as my suitcases where unpacked. That's not to say I think we will stay forever. Who knows what we will want to do in 2, 5, 10 or 20 years time.

Guest deepbluesea

Thank you so much for this means allot it really dose ....I just miss the silliest of things like my BEST FRIENDS and my neighbours we can pop in and out too just silly little things..I don't miss the hustle and bustle of life just miss good company I feel comfortable with you can meet the most welcoming ppl over here but you miss your besties and family I prey we can make those besties one day and we can call them our family too jot us a line if you are in the same boat as us :wubclub:

Guest Guest75

I'd say never in most respects.

It's an individual thing though.

I miss some aspects of the UK and always will ( The Yorkshire Dales, fantastic old pubs)

BUT - I feeling "settled" here if that makes sense?

Here I feel "settled" but I will always just be on the "outside" against the locals - but this is one of the very few countries to wholeheartedly accept immigrants as long as they "put in"

I have been here 14 years next month so have a fair view of it now.

This lovely country still has lots of surprises and lovely moments to enjoy ,even silly things - that is the good payback for not having the feeling of home - perhaps because I am an optimist.

You just have to find the positives.

I'm actually in a bad stage of missing my roots in the UK (really trying to avoid saying "home"), as Mrs Tyke and Not so Little Tyke are having a month's trip back to the UK. It's a yearly thing but I'm not going this year due to cost and commitments here. Normally the trip back helps me "Top up"

But - find the positives!

Today we are just about to set off for a run out to Mannum on the Murray River and hopefully get a trip out on the old paddlesteamer - just lovely.

All I can do is give our personal view .... we have only been here 4 months but have known from the first month we are happy to call this home. the key is going with your gut instinct as to where home is - as Snifter said it's a state of mind and back in the UK we have the best set of friends ever but we saw them once a week when back there, we still skype/text/call all the time so dont feel we're missing them but look at our life here.....we spend more time as a couple doing amazing things and enjoying the adventure together, in the UK we'd spend less time together as there was always "lads night" or "girlie night out" whereas here most things are couple-based in the circles we mix.

As for missing best friends and neighbours, I have made some great mates here who I will stay in tuch with for life - neighbours might take a bit longer as we're not settled in our current rental - lovely house and people but one side we have an 84 year old woman and t'other a grumpy old 90 'odd year old bloke but we're moving out in 2 months so will work on good neighbours now we know where we want to live!

Edited by TonyD

Best friends take a long time to get.... Ive known mine for 20+ years and dont think i will ever have the same here, family will be missed all the time too especially nephews and nieces who grow so fast.... Not a day goes by without thinking about all the above as well as the english seasons, our house back home and even the job i loved and gave up! I have had 4 months of not working, no possessions an mising my boy (Dylan the cocker spaniel) however all is now falling into place, household stuff here, boys here and starting work tomorrow! Perhaps the holiday is over but a new adventure starts! Would i go home? No not yet but i would never say never! As the saying goes carpe diem! Enjoy the new experiences and if you feel the need to go home then at least you have given it a try.... Life is never easy all the time..... No matter where in the world you are but only you can decide.. BE HAPPY X

When is Adelaide home and when do we know it's the place we want to grow old in and end our day's ..

What makes you think that happens?

If there's one thing I have learnt through emigrating, it's that I don't know what the future might hold!

You can't replace friends made from when you were at school, or uni, or from baby-circles etc. We have some really good friends made when our kids were at primary / high school or from places we've worked etc etc, but I still miss those 'old' friends. Not in a gut-gnawing way lol, but as though a part of my personal history is missing.

We've seen people come and go. Some loved it, but left. Some never found the life they'd pictured, and left. And some I only know from reading PiO, people who were here 20+ years, then found they wanted to return to the UK.

Do what makes you happy (as long as you don't hurt anyone!) and if that's ticking a box before moving on to the next adventure, why not?

I think lots of us will understand where you're coming from and I wish you all the best for the future.

:wubclub: LC

When is Adelaide home and when do we know it's the place we want to grow old in and end our day's .. ??

It's a massive journey to ful-fil our dream's and tick a box but do we want to go back to the UK ?? or do we hack it here and say the holiday is over

Just asking as I miss the UK at the moment have had some really good times here but is it time to say you've ticked the box and move one

Hi deep blue sea, how long have you been here? It takes time I think everyone has pangs for the uk now and again it's an inevitable element of migration, a natural thing, it sounds like you are missing some relationships from the uk, think these can happen over here it does not happen overnight though, whereabouts down south are you? Have you brought family over with you? happy to meet for a coffee if you ever want a Chat :)

Edited by Blossom
Fixing quote

Guest Claire-n-tel
I'm another who as soon as I unpack I'm home, wherever country or town I'm in.

Yep us too Blossom......Been "home" in quite a few different countries now!

Weird thing though, no matter where we are if we are going to the uk to visit we often refer to "going home" but once we are in the uk we talk about when we "go home" ie return to the place we have just arrived from!.....I guess our home is where the other of us is!

We don't think you really reach a point where it's called home, we have a house here and we think of that as our home, as for Adelaide defo where we will spend our days the city rocks and we are passionate about this place like no other. I think it helps aswell if you can find good friends this Definetly helps you feel settled, and feel like you have a future here if you not only love the place but the people you have here too.

Edited by JimandBarbinAus

Well, I went to the UK for a holiday in 1997 during the cricket test series between Australia and England, and found myself disappointed when England won the 2nd test. That was my epiphany. I don't expect that to happen to too many people, but good luck with making your decision.

Well, I went to the UK for a holiday in 1997 during the cricket test series between Australia and England, and found myself disappointed when England won the 2nd test. That was my epiphany. I don't expect that to happen to too many people, but good luck with making your decision.

From memory,as I went to that game, it rained a lot and was a draw.