Adeaide flooding

paulrickett

Hi Guys, to all those across there, could you tell me if Adelaide has an issue with flooding, it is something you have to think about as you would think twice about moving to a flood risk area in this country, I have found in past news there was a flood in 2005, how bad was it? did it only affect certain areas? how often do you get flooding? if at all? any advice would be most helpful, thanks, paul.

Guest jill wright

I was just thinking the same that drama scared my little boy to death!!! I had to reassure him we'd be fine cos we live on the top of a hill only way I could get him to bed. Don't think Adelaide would flood if anything they're short of water aren't they????

Jill

Guest jill wright

Yes I know its a serious issue just seemed funny with 'The flood' two part drama starting last night just a bit of Bank holiday humour you know!! Don't think flooding is an issue in Adelaide if anything they seem pretty short of water .

Jill

yes i did see the end of the programme & London being washed away, but it wasn't the reason I asked the question, they may short of water & it may not rain a lot, but you are next to the sea, its something that has to be looked into & any one over there that could shed any light on this matter would be most appreciated

Guest Libby1971

Hi

I have lived here for just over a year so someone else who has been here longer may be able to give more information but from what I have seen, there is little risk of Adelaide being flooded.

SA is the driest state in Aus. The pond on the reserve near our house dried up this summer - the ducks left and everything. There aren't really the storms here that you can find in the UK or rather I should say the winters are not as ferocious. Plus Adelaide is actually rather hilly or so I think. Not as bad as Brisbane but not as flat as I had expected.

Again, someone who has been here longer may be able to advise you better...

Libby

Hi Paul, some areas of Adelaide are considered to be more of a risk than others. The last flood in suburban Adelaide happened because the weir that keeps the sea out of the Patawalonga river was not opened and all the rain from the hills that had flowed down banked up behind the weir gates and flooded that area. There have been other small floods where the small creeks that run through the Eastern suburbs have burst their banks, again due to heavy run off from the hills, but these are very small creeks and no one would get washed away by the force.

The plains around Glenelg and the flat western suburbs are the ones that have been identified as a possible risk for the100 year flood that is expected sometime. Other than that if you live anywhere else you should be fine, especially if it is towards the hills. Lots of little creeks cross Adelaide and there have been alot of work covering these over if near roads etc and improving drainage. There are also lots of creeks that have been made into large storm water drains to accomodate and move the water out to the beach quickly.

Guest Nick11
I think there is more chance of a Coventry City winning the FA Cup than Adelaide being flooded.

Jo

I'll better that.

More chance of Derby winning a match!!!!

Seriously there needs to be rain to flood - and that's something there's precious little of it at the moment.

Guest Libby1971

Nick, look out the window!!!!:biglaugh:

It has been raining most of the day...not flood proportions I grant you but still...

Libby

As far as I am aware the last time they had significant rain in the River Murray was in the 1950's and that only flooded the flood plain. I do seem to hear on the radio most days that a water main has burst somewhere, and sometimes causing localised flooding, but this seems to be quickly sorted out. Should say that the Water mains are under very high pressure, and perhaps this is the reason for so many bursts.

We own a house in Lechlade, which is about 1/2 mile from the River Thames. In the storms last year, Lechlade itself was cut off by the water, and a number of homes in the surrounding areas were flooded out, but our house and the area around remained dry & unflooded. I had checked out the website to make sure the area was okay before I bought the house though, so just as well to ask the question.

Hi there

I remember when we sorted out our home insurance they were very insistent that we had enough cover in case of flood damage - we laughed saying driest state, etc to be told that some of the flooding issues arise because of the ground being so hard that the water is unable to penetrate therefore flooding is a possibility. That's our experience of Adelaide, but after seeing the flooding and the devastation that were left following the flooding last summer (in our home town of Doncaster too) and in the rest of the UK all I can say is - I hope not!:wideeyed:

Guest Nick11
Nick, look out the window!!!!:biglaugh:

It has been raining most of the day...not flood proportions I grant you but still...

Libby

Not where I've been working today sweetie - no rain at all.

Although my garden is looking a nicer shade of green this week

Nick

x