What is the best way to send a present back to the UK?

Guest Adamh14

Guest Adamh14

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Australia in March and I was wondering if I could pick your brains for some advice. I want to send a present back to my Dad in the UK for Father’s Day but am unsure as the best way to do this. How does everyone else send presents back to the UK? I have looked at postage and it is really expensive. Father’s Day is also on the 15th June and so I am running out of time if I do decide to go that route.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Adz

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

I've given up sending stuff back most of the time. I tend to shop online now and use Amazon, Bunches etc to deliver stuff directly to the recipients in the UK

Hi, I had the same dilemma.

I kept a bank account in the UK and used it for presents. I have found a helpful florist who take s orders over the phone and then delivers to female friends and relatives. Then other companies I have just googled like Laithwaites wine who do a good box of 6 bottles of lovely wine for the men. I find "not on the high street" also good for personalised gifts. Hope this helps. I think gifts are a great way to let loved ones far away know you are thinking about them.

Normally I just make sure I buy way in advance and post by surface mail. If I remember rightly it's about half the price of airmail. It can take months though (although I've had less than a week too, must have been put in the airmail bag). You haven't left yourself with enough time for that though.

I'd go for buying online.

Marks and Spencer online have 20% off Fathers day gifts for a few days.

I posted a small birthday gift nearly 4 weeks ago, airmail, charged just over $20 postage and it has still not arrived!!

I am just going to give up sending, but I will really miss choosing the gifts here.

I always use Debenhams,Amazon,M&S etc,found them to be very reliable.Postage,sometimes hit and miss and also now if you send something from abroad over the value of i think 15 british pounds duty is payable,so not worth it.There are so many different websites to choose from these days.

Sue

Im the same gave up sending stuff back via the post (too expensive) I order stuff online from UK Amazon or a local florist etc and pay by card etc or bank transfer its just soooooo much easier, also I don't bother with UK fathers/ mothers day, easier just to do it when they have an Australian one then you don't forget it and they get 2 mothers/ fathers days xx its a shame things have got so expensive with the post, even after posting off my xmas cards last xmas I am gonna have to rethink things at nearly $3 a card its ridiculous.... :wideeyed:

and they told me its gonna go up even more next time, cause no one is posting stuff now.

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Australia in March and I was wondering if I could pick your brains for some advice. I want to send a present back to my Dad in the UK for Father’s Day but am unsure as the best way to do this. How does everyone else send presents back to the UK? I have looked at postage and it is really expensive. Father’s Day is also on the 15th June and so I am running out of time if I do decide to go that route.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Adz

I've learnt the hard way.. I posted a bracelet to my niece for her birthday and because the value was over £40, she had to pay £18 customs charge before the post office would release the parcel.. It was only worth about £50!!!

I order all my gifts directly from uk sites now & get them posted directly to my family. Amazon are always good.. Boots, m&s etc..

. I also kept a uk account for payments to keep it simple.