mixed up

Guest skel

Guest skel

Hi all. Lived in adelaide for 8 months missed uk so went back .got work im adelaide things was ok but just missed uk. Now been back two years brought house and things ok. But i think about being back there everyday thought i would be ok back here but now feel in limbo. I still keep intouch with friends there .i hear work is getting hard to get there but i would still go back. Any work for a tiler. Cheers all

Hi Skel,

It's a really common issue. Making such a big move is full of emotions and many people do return for a whole range of different reasons. There will always be things that you miss about every place.

We have moved a couple of times and there are things that we miss from each place that we lived in.

Many Brits do "ping pong" backwards and forwards as the things that make them leave are often strong enough to hold them there once they return, and family situations do change.

Maybe someone will comment on the ease of getting tiling work? I know that housing and renovations have picked up from where the situation was 18 months ago.

Maybe analyse the reasons for leaving and perhaps have another trip here before taking the big plunge again.

Hope that it all works out.

Tilers have recently been in the news...

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/06/07/bricklayers-tilers-chefs-added-skilled-migration-program

You say you missed the UK which is the reason you returned. If you came back to Adelaide, what has changed, are you still going to miss the UK?

Hi jessica. I think if i went back to Adelaide i know what to expect.i would have been ok in time.i feel here in the uk like i did there.made spme good friends there .will have to see if thimgs there pick up and give it another go .cheers Neil

Hey Skel,

We moved back from Perth 6 years ago in August but are looking to go back to Adelaide (Boomerang Brits!) hopefully in the next 18 months/ 2 years depending on visa being approved etc. We left Oz the first time as I became pregnant just before we left the UK and I found it really difficult to settle/ make friends outside of our neighbours and dog walking gang in Perth all of whom where a lot older than us so I felt like I had adopted new parents!! We still keep in touch with them and their life always seems great however, it wasn't the right life for us at the time.

Reasons for giving this another go is that we feel our situation (my pregnancy and the birth of our son) overtook the experience and I felt really isolated as a new mum in a foreign country with no family. Fast forward 6 years and another kid we are hoping this time we are going with our eyes open, we know the pitfalls - it's not all BBQ's and beaches and you still have to work your arse off as you would in the UK but we think that our kids would benefit from this move for the rest of their life.

I didn't think for the first 12/ 18 months of coming back to the UK that I would ever think about moving back but as time has gone on my decisions from 2008 have come back to haunt me and I started to have regrets about not sticking it out - 12 months is hardly giving it a go (that is how long we stayed last time). My old boss told me that the UK would kick my arse if I came back and he was right - it's took us the last 6 years to get back on track and here we are looking to throw it all away again.

Nothing changes in the UK and I think it is this familiarity which is often what expats miss along with the obvious family and friends.

All's I can say is life is an adventure do what makes you happy and don't be afraid to make mistakes/ change your mind as at least you can say you tried and don't have any regrets - I could of just said that at the beginning rather than giving you my life story!!