Adelaide vs Brisbane

srg73

Adelaide vs Brisbane.

I have been looking through job sites and for me Brisbane seems to have a lot more opportunities for me although our hearts are set on Adelaide. We have not been to Brisbane although do have friends there and have others who are well advanced in their move.

I appreciate the obvious ie climate, location etc but what about lifestyle, facilities and the general feel of Brisbane vs Adelaide?

Thanks. S

Guest Guest12727

I doubt there is a huge difference in terms of day to day living. The cities are a similar size. You need to like humid heat and getting up early. They all seem to start work at an early hour.

Just like Adelaide, there are some lovely areas near the City to live, but these are pricey. More affordable housing will come with a longer commute.

Brisbane has a great city beach (man-made on the river), but they need this as there are no beaches in Brisbane. For the beach you need to go to Gold Coast, but there is a good road and rail connection. This is a great misconception, that people have. Adelaide has great beaches you can live at 15mins from the CBD,not Brisbane.

Queensland itself has a huge number of attractions, both natural and man made so has a lot of tourists. Of course it you live there, you can pick the off-season to attend, so you can go at less busy times, when the rest of Australia isn't on holidays and heading there. A lot of Australians retire to Queensland.

Personally I have no desire to live in Brisbane, too humid for me, and well... it is full of Queenslanders!!

Seriously, take a look at their current politics and also historically. It tells you something. Queenslanders are doing it pretty tough, with huge cuts to public services and lots of redundancies in the care sectors. They are propped up by tourism and mining, so on paper it looks good, not sure that people in other sectors will agree though.

If you haven't known living in Adelaide to compare, and you have a job, you will probably love it.

Living in Brisbane (well, near) and worked in Adelaide, then I would say that Brisbane, in my opinion has the edge on most fronts, though I can't say bad of either place. Where I live we have beaches, though no way as good as Adelaide's or the likes of the Gold & Sunshine coasts, a 20min drive from Brisbane CBD will put you on a beach, and a 30min drive will put you on some decent ones. I have no problem with the humidity in SEQ and I work outside, Brisbane does not get the heat waves that Adelaide suffers, though I worked in the last Adelaide one (laying asphalt too) and had no real problem with that either.

Given your profession then I doubt you would be based in either CBD, more like myself you would be commuting here there and everywhere, but given the size of Brisbane and the greater Southeast Queensland suburbia (and northern NSW) then as you have mentioned the opportunities for employment would be better than Adelaide.

By the way if you come to Queensland, then it's compulsory that you become a QUEENSLANDER, and proud to be so.:smile:

Good luck with everything.

I thought the floods got rid of the city beach. Was it rebuilt?

Re the humidity, I remember finding it far hotter and more uncomfortable at 35 in Brisbane than 43 in Adelaide.

Yes it was rebuilt, along with many other things both public and private.

As mentioned earlier the temp and/or humidity are not problematic for me and were not from day one, my wife hates both. Nothing I can do to change it so I just accept what it is and act accordingly, put up or shut up, can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen are terms what come to mind. (not directed at you Adelaide now, just general terminology)

Thanks for your replies. Heat, not an issue, survived 55c when in India during a heat wave (when India gets a heat wave then you know your in for trouble) and survived Singapore humidity although that was a little uncomfortable simply due to sweating.

The feedback from friends is the Brisbane is very clean, quite touristy therefore can become busy at peak holiday times (not as busy as Gold Coast though) but has a young and busy feel to it which is quite different to the sleepy small city feel that Adelaide gives. I'm just conscious why we are making the move, adventure and quality of life so I don't want to end up in a sunny version of London (nothing against London) working stupid hours and not having time to step back and enjoy my surroundings.

S

We don't really notice the tourists and we do go into the city and the Coasts, tourists are generally centralized on the Gold coast so you can avoid them quite easily if needed, there are plenty of other Gold coast area's to see, and the Sunny coast too. One of the big downers for me in Qld is the early dark nights (no daylight saving - yet) so most (not all) of your enjoyment of surroundings will need to be on weekends, which does mean most other locals are doing the same, but again you get to know the quieter area's.

good luck with whatever your choice.

Guest Guest12727
Thanks for your replies. Heat, not an issue, survived 55c when in India during a heat wave (when India gets a heat wave then you know your in for trouble) and survived Singapore humidity although that was a little uncomfortable simply due to sweating.

The feedback from friends is the Brisbane is very clean, quite touristy therefore can become busy at peak holiday times (not as busy as Gold Coast though) but has a young and busy feel to it which is quite different to the sleepy small city feel that Adelaide gives. I'm just conscious why we are making the move, adventure and quality of life so I don't want to end up in a sunny version of London (nothing against London) working stupid hours and not having time to step back and enjoy my surroundings.

S

You definitely won't find any comparison with Brisbane and London. Brisbane will be much easier living. Adelaide is not as sleepy as you may think. It is sprawling, and many people on this forum live a long way out, so their experience is quite different from some-one who lives closer to the city. There is a lot to do in Adelaide.

Singapore is always 24degrees celsius and humid. This is completely different fro Brisbane 37 and humid. We were there in such wether and it was almost unbearable. Tried to find a beach and was directed to a grey place with a walled ocean swimming pool. No golden sand at all. This was unusual weather though, normally it is in lower 30s.

You can always move again if you think you have made the wrong decision. Despite appearances, Queensland isn't a different country from the rest of Australia. You don't have to migrate again!! :tongue:

By the way if you come to Queensland, then it's compulsory that you become a QUEENSLANDER, and proud to be so.:smile:good luck with everything.

Can't be that proud to become a Queenslander seeming that the mighty blues are looking for a series whitewash tomorrow! :jiggy::biggrin:

By the way if you come to Queensland, then it's compulsory that you become a QUEENSLANDER, and proud to be so.:smile:good luck with everything.

Can't be that proud to become a Queenslander seeming that the mighty blues are looking for a series whitewash tomorrow! :jiggy::biggrin:

Not only proud.............magnanimous too. So at least we now know you can count up to 1, you will struggle with 2:biggrin:

I really like that part of Qld - although my favourite places are up in FNQ. Unfortunately I'm asthmatic, and a trigger for me is humidity, so I do suffer when up there. Normally it's controlled and I don't need an inhaler (apart from using one preventatively before going for a run) but up there I need to use one morning and night and I still wheeze. If it wasn't for this, we'd certainly consider moving up there. Instead, we visit tactically at the times of year when the humidity isn't so high.

Property wise, I find Brisbane itself overpriced, but not too far out there are some great affordable places. The look and feel of the place is younger than Adelaide, but it's no London (nowhere in Australia is like London for me; whether it's the worst or best of London that's being compared to.) I've not lived up that way, so only see things through a tourist's eyes, but there's plenty to do in the city and lots of places within an hour or so.