mixed race couple planning move to adelaide area

Guest tintre

Guest tintre

i have been reading a number of things regarding working and living in adelaide (not just here i might add) and many positive. I am a nurse and husband trained overseas nurse but working in security out of personal choice and not looking at returning to nursing. Currently awaiting 489 grant.

We are currently living in Leicester a multicultural city in the UK, and love the feeling and living with different cultures. Moving to Australia and hoping by the end of the year. Yes moving for the same reasons as many a change in lifestyle,you know the cliche live to work rather than work to live, which unfortunately is how the UK is in my opinion!

Trying gage and obtain people opinions on areas to live, now we are mixed race myself white British born and husband muslim Pakistani. Looking to integrate into the Australian way of life and culture whilst also integrating with other cultures to. Now i have stated our nationality backgrounds as many countries can have segregated communities within a city and do not wish to be segregated but merged in all,as well as to not feel isolated due to name or color of skin!

Firstly please dont think i am talking about racism or culture in a negative way just wanting to be prepared and research areas wisely, as we do not wish to feel isolated because of this. Even in Leicester being the city of many nationalities we have experienced it but also well travelled so aware that it is everywhere.

So where is a great area to settle for us not more than 30 min outside of city with good transport links for working opportunities for my partner and myself being in healthcare profession.

Thankyou in advance for your opinions

Yes moving for the same reasons as many a change in lifestyle,you know the cliche live to work rather than work to live, which unfortunately is how the UK is in my opinion!

The 'work to live/live to work' situation probably means different things to different people, but I'm not convinced that someone needs to move to the other end of the world in order to strike the right balance. Sure, there are plenty in the UK caught in long hours lack-of-time-with-the-family situations, but not everyone is; the same in Australia.

I can see how making wholesale changes to a person's life can help them 'set their stall out' so that they get a better quality of life (whatever that is – again that's a hard thing to nail down), but that could equally happen by a lifestyle change or relocation to somewhere else in the UK rather than moving abroad.

Australians work some of the longest hours in the developed world (the average full-time worker here puts in more hours than the equivalent worker in the UK), and it has higher household debt per capita than the UK (in fact higher than any of the G7 countries), so the debt levels carried by the public mean that for many people they have to work all the hours they can get. Many of those who don't work full-time would work more hours if the opportunity allowed (undesired under employment in Australia is amongst the highest in the OECD).

There are lots of reasons for migrating, and we each come here with ambitions for how we want to live and a clean slate to help achieve that, but based on the bigger picture there are plenty of other places I'd look first if 'working to live' was my priority.

So where is a great area to settle for us not more than 30 min outside of city with good transport links for working opportunities for my partner and myself being in healthcare profession.

30 mins travel time to the CBD covers a lot of near-city suburbs, but it excludes a great many popular suburbs, especially if that 30 mins happens in typical heavy traffic hours. imho you can forget any of the old '20 minute city' nonsense; that hasn't been the case for a long time! If it has to be within 30 mins, places like North Adelaide (might be too close to CBD but very nice), Prospect, Burnside (and its surrounding suburbs and those in the foothills) and western suburbs would be a good starting point.

Guest tintre

Ty for reply, unfortunately we do not wish to relocate in the uk have lived many areas and enjoyed the lifestyle to. However working more hours is personal choice and im sure there is difficulty over there to with employment etc. We are fully prepared for that and do not have rose tinted glasses on thinking we are going to live the dream! But of course the lifestyle is different and thats what we want to change. Your right in saying its hard to pin down what is a better quality of life, it is individual. The phrase is used more as tongue in cheek of course we would not move the otherside of the world just for that. Im sure many people have many different reasons so our choice is as it is...or do you have other suggestions based on your experience!

ty for advice regarding travel difference and areas will have a look into those suggested

Ty for reply, unfortunately we do not wish to relocate in the uk have lived many areas and enjoyed the lifestyle to. However working more hours is personal choice and im sure there is difficulty over there to with employment etc. We are fully prepared for that and do not have rose tinted glasses on thinking we are going to live the dream! But of course the lifestyle is different and thats what we want to change. Your right in saying its hard to pin down what is a better quality of life, it is individual. The phrase is used more as tongue in cheek of course we would not move the otherside of the world just for that. Im sure many people have many different reasons so our choice is as it is...or do you have other suggestions based on your experience!

ty for advice regarding travel difference and areas will have a look into those suggested

Not trying to change your mind or offer other suggestions, only responding to the reason you gave in your post about moving because in the UK people live to work. I was pointing out that based on debt levels, working hours etc Aus is no different. You're right that working more hours is a personal choice (when a person has more working hours to choose, that is!) and that's the case regardless of the country you're in.

Good luck with the move.

i have been reading a number of things regarding working and living in adelaide (not just here i might add) and many positive. I am a nurse and husband trained overseas nurse but working in security out of personal choice and not looking at returning to nursing. Currently awaiting 489 grant.

We are currently living in Leicester a multicultural city in the UK, and love the feeling and living with different cultures. Moving to Australia and hoping by the end of the year. Yes moving for the same reasons as many a change in lifestyle,you know the cliche live to work rather than work to live, which unfortunately is how the UK is in my opinion!

Trying gage and obtain people opinions on areas to live, now we are mixed race myself white British born and husband muslim Pakistani. Looking to integrate into the Australian way of life and culture whilst also integrating with other cultures to. Now i have stated our nationality backgrounds as many countries can have segregated communities within a city and do not wish to be segregated but merged in all,as well as to not feel isolated due to name or color of skin!

Firstly please dont think i am talking about racism or culture in a negative way just wanting to be prepared and research areas wisely, as we do not wish to feel isolated because of this. Even in Leicester being the city of many nationalities we have experienced it but also well travelled so aware that it is everywhere.

Thankyou in advance for your opinions

Welcome.

I admire your direct and open approach.

Adelaide does have a degree of segregated communities but things have changed a little over the past few years. I have first hand experience of this. The south of the city (25km) is not as integrated as the northern areas. The nearest mosque to where I live is 20km away (in Marion). There are more places of worship north of the city and a mosque in Gilbert street in the city. The city is also better served by Halaal butchers because of demand from the communities in the surrounding areas.

Having said that I have close contact with a Muslim family who send their children to the local kindy and schools and I have been surprised by how accepting and accommodating they have been. (sorry...not meant to be condescending but the schools have been wonderful). At kindy they contacted the parents to get their advice and assistance for cooking classes for the little ones so as not to cause offence. The school accepts that on Fridays classes will be missed to attend prayer. I do not think that you will experience discrimination in the suburbs this side of the city but I certainly think that it's easier to practice your faith if you are more central (or Marion area) or northern based.

All the best with your big move.

Guest Guest12727

Adelaide is pretty multinational. I had a Sikh bus driver this morning and tonight I sat next to a Muslim lady on the bus home. I live in the North East of Adelaide, about 17km from the city centre and we seem to have an increasing number of people who are sudanese, indian and many who are of Muslim faith in our area. I have no idea whether this is the same in other suburbs within a similar radius of the city but I expect so. Traditionally areas Nth East were Italian and there are still many with this heritage. We also have a lot of Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesians. At my son's school I think he is friends with every one of these nationalities (maybe not Sudanese) I have mentioned as well as aboriginal and yes the odd Australian born.

I was recently working with a lady from Iran who lives in Burnside, which is Eastern suburbs and I know she has other muslim friends in the area. Her daughter is very happy at the local primary school, she thinks she is an Aussie and does not want to return to Iran.

I think if you have the right attitude and wish to integrate, you will not have a problem, especially if you are in one of the suburbs within about 20km of the city. Unfortunately, as with everywhere, there are some who are less tolerant, but you know that already.

The school my kids go to has kids with backgrounds from literally all over the world. The local area is pretty multicultural as well, with a lot of older Italians and lots of people from some of the Asian countries (China, South Korea, Malaysia, Japan etc). We are in Rostrevor which is East/North East.

Guest tintre
Not trying to change your mind or offer other suggestions, only responding to the reason you gave in your post about moving because in the UK people live to work. I was pointing out that based on debt levels, working hours etc Aus is no different. You're right that working more hours is a personal choice (when a person has more working hours to choose, that is!) and that's the case regardless of the country you're in.

Good luck with the move.

Thankyou appreciate the honest reply best wishes x

Guest tintre
Welcome.

I admire your direct and open approach.

Adelaide does have a degree of segregated communities but things have changed a little over the past few years. I have first hand experience of this. The south of the city (25km) is not as integrated as the northern areas. The nearest mosque to where I live is 20km away (in Marion). There are more places of worship north of the city and a mosque in Gilbert street in the city. The city is also better served by Halaal butchers because of demand from the communities in the surrounding areas.

Having said that I have close contact with a Muslim family who send their children to the local kindy and schools and I have been surprised by how accepting and accommodating they have been. (sorry...not meant to be condescending but the schools have been wonderful). At kindy they contacted the parents to get their advice and assistance for cooking classes for the little ones so as not to cause offence. The school accepts that on Fridays classes will be missed to attend prayer. I do not think that you will experience discrimination in the suburbs this side of the city but I certainly think that it's easier to practice your faith if you are more central (or Marion area) or northern based.

All the best with your big move.

Thankyou for your reply, we do try to be honest and direct as found it the best way to be,due to a minority unfortunately liking to segregate themselves or not integrate into the lifestyle of where they live, whilst also trying to be pc lol. the information you provided is great, your not condescending at all i understand where your coming from. just trying to be realistic as whatever country your in or from i think its best to be prepared with information so as to make the best judgements as of course there are a minority who unfortunately can have issues......but looking forward to integrate in to the Aus way of life

Thankyou x

Guest tintre

i completely agree, you have to have the right attitude and integrate into your local community and yes there are some who are less tolerant same as everywhere. Unfortunately as well as culture its those who have different hair color, there size, accent to, a shame really the world we live in but acceptance of everyone by everyone is the key x......we dont have kids but who knows in a year or two trying to convince him before i change my mind haha

Thankyou x

Guest tintre

thankyou, it seems there is plenty of choice, its difficult to narrow down areas when you have never been to adelaide.......crazy i know, but us crazy people like a challenge and adventure :)

Thankyou x

Guest mactac

Hi

Adelaide and the rest of Australia suffer from racism. 99% of Australians are not really racist I think, I hope.

Marginalised white people which is a growing section especially in Adelaide need someone to blame and unfortunately this is sometimes pointed at coloured migrants (again just some).

Mostly just abuse and the odd taxi driver getting beaten up.

However type in cronulla riots into youtube to see the underbelly of the country.

This is was in Sydney but having said that the larger cities have much better comunity for muslim and Pakistani.

So if you like to have a home away from home try Sydney I know it has very strong muslim community.

Just because of its size. Again most Aussies are decent good people you will fit in anywhere.

Do not worry.

The media has a lot to answer for this.

Just make sure you fly.

Evidently arriving by water is a big no no.

Guest Guest75

Hi Tintre, I'll agree with virtually all of the other posters here.

There is racism everywhere I'm sure to a degree but here in Oz it's about integrating and making the effort to do do.

Just keep an open mind.

We live on the corner of two streets in Hallett Cove ,which is supposedly "Little Britain" because of all the Poms here.

We we have Chinese, Greek,Indian,American, Pakistani,Australian and Pom neighbors - nice mix and nice people.

To say that there is "anti Pom" sentiments here is misinformed as well - after 14 years only twice have I come across this - both were idiots!

A 30 minute commute gives you lots of choice for lots of areas, it will be down to how much rent you want to pay!

I have found with working all over the city that there are certain areas that certain nationalities seem to stick to like Woodville gardens and Athol park have a large Asian population where Kilburn and prospect seem to have Indian Pakistani and Afghani living there It just what I have seen over the years in different areas.