South Australia gets No1 spot..no jobs

Guest Guest14361

No need to worry. If you want to work in South Australia, you can find a job. There's just allot of people who don't like to work here.

Oh good, I'll let my out of work hubby know that he obviously doesn't really want to work then! Thanks for pointing that out, I was feeling a bit sorry for him but I now see, thanks to you pointing it out, that's it's all his own fault!

Guest RubbingElbows
Oh good, I'll let my out of work hubby know that he obviously doesn't really want to work then! Thanks for pointing that out, I was feeling a bit sorry for him but I now see, thanks to you pointing it out, that's it's all his own fault!

Obviously there will always be transition periods and unemployment in-between jobs, but be rest assured, he will find work. I've never met anyone long term unemployed in South Australia, who wanted to work. What type of work is he looking for?

The unemployment rate doesn't tell half the story either, as lots of those who are genuinely keen and looking to work have not signed on as unemployed!

He's a project manager, mechanical engineer, with over 30 years experience in engineering and project management in automotive component manufacture and government transport department - I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think everyone that wants to work can do so - and if you have never met anyone long term unemployed in SA who wants to work, it's probably because they leave the state or the country to find work elsewhere...or go back to Britain!

Enjoy your illusions, must be nice up there in your remote ivory tower!!

Guest RubbingElbows
The unemployment rate doesn't tell half the story either, as lots of those who are genuinely keen and looking to work have not signed on as unemployed!

He's a project manager, mechanical engineer, with over 30 years experience in engineering and project management in automotive component manufacture and government transport department - I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think everyone that wants to work can do so - and if you have never met anyone long term unemployed in SA who wants to work, it's probably because they leave the state or the country to find work elsewhere...or go back to Britain!

Enjoy your illusions, must be nice up there in your remote ivory tower!!

I'm not saying there is always work available within ones field, your right, that would be living in cuckoo land. However there is work available should one wish to work. You're right, people do leave South Australia to stay within their field, however, looking outside of their field of experience could open up more opportunities. Fair enough, a pay cut, may be in store, but living in a State that has affordable housing, could offset a reduction in income. Move to the Eastern states could easily offset a higher wage by the cost of housing etc.

Guest Guest14361
That is such a shame and I wonder what the impact will be on with people moving into the state and new business, be interesting to see how the government does put plans into play.

you'd think the state government would pull their fingers out of their buttock hole, but what have they done since holdens finally announced they were shutting, nothing as per usual. I came out in 91 and the state has always been stagnant in enticing companies here. Other states give everything to the companies....

Hi Diane

I thoroughly agree with you. My 22 year old son has been looking for an apprenticeship/traineeship in at least 4 different trade skills for nearly 8 months.

I also have a relative who has not worked in over a year, who is an engineering manager . However he is, like many he does not feature on the unemployed list- because his wife works-therefore he is not allowed to sign as he does not qualify for any money, and gets no help or advice of any type.

In fact Centrelink told him that as he did not qualify for any money- he had withdrawn his claim. So much for massaging the unemployment figures! Personally, I think the jobs situation is going to get a lot worse here in South Australia, and that is before the Holden shut down.

Guest Claire-n-tel
No need to worry. If you want to work in South Australia, you can find a job. There's just allot of people who don't like to work here.

Nice way to introduce yourself to a forum!:wacko:

Guest Guest14361

I'm employed and like to think I'm in touch with the reality of the current state of affairs out there.. To be honest I think I will be redundo in a years time....which will suit me great, 13 years service, being of the older generation job wise will be extremely tough. If I need to get a job anything will do

I'm employed and like to think I'm in touch with the reality of the current state of affairs out there.. To be honest I think I will be redundo in a years time....which will suit me great, 13 years service, being of the older generation job wise will be extremely tough. If I need to get a job anything will do

I actually think Thumbsup has a point.

I don't think it can be argued that opinions are subjective.

I do believe agree that people with jobs, however aware we are that our job might disappear in the future, cannot appreciate how hard it can be to find employment.

The reason I quoted you, Nobby, rather than Thumbsup, is because you finished your post with, " If I need to get a job anything will do" and I think that shows a belief that it IS possible to find work if you really want it. I do not believe that statistics or experiences shared on here show that that is the case.

My OH and I both have jobs ( atm lol) but our son does not. Deep down I question whether he really is trying for everything and anything, even though I know he is. So I wonder whether that's me doing the 'if I have a job, why can't he?' thing. Many experiences cannot be shared vicariously, and I happen to think unemployment is one of them.

Or maybe I simply have psychological problems hahaha!

LC

There won't be a quick fix for this. The problem as I see it is that Australia has the misguided idea it is one of the worlds "big" countries (economically and politically) and is constantly pushing to expand and to play with the big boys. As such it's lost it's way - immigration is increasing on the back of this false ideal and the Aussie dollar is way too high on international exchange rates, both of which will only serve to decrease opportunities for employment as businesses close or push operations offshore to save costs.

The Minister in charge of immigration said, in a 2012 speech, that increasing the working population was necessary in order to support Australia's increasing aged citizens (I'll see if I can find a link to the speech if anyone is interested). This is therefore nothing more than a Government sponsored Ponzi scheme which will, if it continues, eventually reach the point where it all becomes unsustainable and it all falls down.

Edit: The KFC near Le Cornu have a banner outside advertising job vacancies. "Apply within" it says.

Edited by sidestep

Guest Guest14361

As I said before I speak to casuals who work at my place and various other trades, truckies etc etc and I do believe that I will find a job, albeit casual if I'm made redundo