Here we go again

Guest Guest14361

Guest Guest14361

Once again a new idea, this plot has been vacant for 25 years, then people wonder why no one invests in Adelaide, the guy that owns the site has tried numerous times to get various plans approved

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/city-councillors-reveal-their-80m-plan-for-deserted-le-cornu-site-in-north-adelaide/story-fnii5yv4-1226994677465

..the guy that owns the site has tried numerous times to get various plans approved

Not quite the full story. Many of the proposals he put forward were never going to happen and were simply to increase the land value should he decide to sell, and some others were to limit actions he needed to take to clear and fence off the site. This site was given major project status in 2007, meaning planning applications would go directly to the state government rather than the ACC, in order for approval to be fast-tracked. With his bluff called, there's now been seven years where he's proposed to build diddly squat. That's why the ACC are talking about a compulsory purchase.

Sorry Nobby, are you saying it's the council or state governments fault the site has been empty for 25 years? Only there is a sentence in the story that says '20 approvals in 25 years' which suggests to me that there has been approval for 20 different proposals but none of them have happened. As the land is privately owned you can hardly blame the council or government for nothing happening once planning approval had been granted. Unless I've read the article wrong and the sentence actually means that there were 20 applications but no approvals.

It's a privately owned block (owned by South Australia's richest man). It's been given special project status so that any proposals he has for it don't have to go through the normal planning route. It was granted this provision seven years ago. He's done nothing with it during this time and hasn't put any proposals up that have been turned down.

So, what's the 'joke' you refer to, what exactly is it that 'needs sorting' and how does this show why 'no one invests in Adelaide'?

I am not going into the politics of this as there has been a long history and background to it and I am definitely sure I don't know the ins and outs of it but what irks me is that the place is an eyesore as they have put up a dum looking fence hedging off a massive area of prime land in an otherwise beautiful area of North Adelaide. It looks b^&%$* awful and I am not sure that many people would get away with that elsewhere, let alone on a main road that is quite picturesque.

Guest Guest14361
I am not going into the politics of this as there has been a long history and background to it and I am definitely sure I don't know the ins and outs of it but what irks me is that the place is an eyesore as they have put up a dum looking fence hedging off a massive area of prime land in an otherwise beautiful area of North Adelaide. It looks b^&%$* awful and I am not sure that many people would get away with that elsewhere, let alone on a main road that is quite picturesque.

:notworthy:

Tons of politics with this one and it very much is an eyesore (I'm sure the guy who owns it understands this well enough!) I'm just not sure what point the OP was making.

There has been every opportunity to develop this site and gain approval (and when different plans for it have been given approval in the past, they've subsequently been varied by the owner - adding a few storeys to the development, removing car parking spaces, adding extra apartments etc - thus making the approval invalid). Whilst it's had special project status, he's shown no interest in developing it. The city council can't be blamed for that (they can be blamed for much around Adelaide, but on this one they've been pretty much in the clear for seven years), nor can state government.