Adelaide- Have you been affected by crime?

Guest The Pottertons

Guest The Pottertons

Hi All, it seems that this week has had its fair share of the negative aspects of Adelaide and to say its not worrying would be a fib! Especially the crime aspect- but how do you process this realistically? Afterall we all have imaginations that run away with us. We are told not to believe it is eutopia which is good advice, but its easy to think that after the recent posts Adelaide is full of gun toting youth and biker gangs on every corner! So my question is have you ever felt unsafe in Adelaide or been affected or seen any crime? I live in Leicester and there is plenty of crime but i do feel safe here regardless as the incidents are usually isolated and i'm guessing this is also the case in Adelaide? Advice would be really usefu to a lot of us at a guess! Thanks Yvonne x

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All, it seems that this week has had its fair share of the negative aspects of Adelaide and to say its not worrying would be a fib! Especially the crime aspect- but how do you process this realistically? Afterall we all have imaginations that run away with us. We are told not to believe it is eutopia which is good advice, but its easy to think that after the recent posts Adelaide is full of gun toting youth and biker gangs on every corner! So my question is have you ever felt unsafe in Adelaide or been affected or seen any crime? I live in Leicester and there is plenty of crime but i do feel safe here regardless as the incidents are usually isolated and i'm guessing this is also the case in Adelaide? Advice would be really usefu to a lot of us at a guess! Thanks Yvonne x

Hey guys.

We are living in the city and can say that we have never felt unsafe or unnerved. Of course there are some places that are a bit rough, like anywhere but in general it is a very safe place to live. Freindly people and lots of happy faces

Andy

Guest Devon

After a rocky start 21 months ago I do now love it here in Adelaide. This is one of my only areas of concern the crime! Compared to some parts of the UK it is non existent. However, if I was to put my hand on my heart I have not felt so concerned about crime as since I have been here. Especially since our next door neighbour was broken into I find it difficult to get off to sleep! The fact that they managed to get in and steal so much of their stuff and they didn't wake up (although that could have been for the best)!

Also since a late night out several months ago and some hoons were trying to get me to stop the car and because I wouldn't stop tried to push me off the road, took me a while to pluck up driving again other than to the mall.

However as I say it is nothing compared to some parts of the UK as I did come from Exmouth, although there again I did spend four years in Battersea and felt more safe!!!!!!!! I wouldn't let this put you off though, just be prepared! It could also be that I'm turning into a scardy cat with old age!

Hi Pottertons

Like Andrew said generally if you avoid the rough areas you will be fine.

Coming from Nottingham, the UK gun crime capital and I am now told the number 1 place for house burglaries in the UK, living in Adelaide is like we have died and gone to heaven!

after the recent posts Adelaide is full of gun toting youth and biker gangs on every corner!

I think people are getting confused with the Victorian City called Melbourne - seen Underbelly?

I've not seen any crime like this although we did find a bullet in Marion Shopping Centre car park! :nah:

I come from Luton and it's far worse there!

I feel a similar fear of crime here to be honest.

Here I have had experience of real road rage, where I really thought the person was going to crash into me and I had nowhere to go on the road, and we have been fairly affected by grafitti - window scratching (very expensive to put right) and spray paint (easy to deal with), but that doesn't count here and will only cost us about $2000 to put right, so it isn't really a crime as such!!! (can you tell it pisses me off?)

I think people are getting confused with the Victorian City called Melbourne - seen Underbelly?

I've not seen any crime like this although we did find a bullet in Marion Shopping Centre car park! :nah:

I come from Luton and it's far worse there!

Did you watch Underbelly, we loved it, is that bad enjoying all those shootings, drugs and sex ha ha! It reminded me of Nottingham, where we came from in the UK and the UK gun crime capital!

We're hoping to come for a reccie in July and make the big move next Jan/Feb. Being someone who has never been to Adelaide before how do we know which are the areas to avoid?

I previously listed places we would not choose to live in Adelaide and people get all PC and go on about how its peoples personal choice and opinion but that helps no one moving from the UK to a city they have never been to or do not know very well in my opinion. If you want a straight, honest answer send me a Personal Message, if you want a PC answer ask someone else!

In the meantime, read this article that was in the supplement of todays paper and avoid Elizabeth and surrounding areas like the plague unless you want to recreate living in the UK!!! I must say the rest of this article goes on to say that Elizabeth is improving and the things they are doing to improve things, but we came from Nottingham and no matter how much money spent on these areas and community projects set up, they remain rough areas, its the people/mentality of the people that live there that are the problem.

Guest KateG

Hi

Places I would not personally want to live.

Elizabeth

Para Hills

Salisbury

Christies Beach

Hackham

Noarlunga - I know there are loads of Brits living happily here, just not my choice. Spoke to a British policeman who thought Noarlunga was positively tame to the part of Wales he had come from.

Morphett Vale has been criticised but has some nice parts.

The general rule use to be not too far North and not too far South.

North seems to be worse and with the 49 gang getting rather out of control at the moment and a lot of Bikies in that area, you need to be vigilant. My friends daughter lived in Elizabeth and was broken into 3 times in 6 weeks before moving out of the area. Elizabeth and Salisbury are where many of the ten pound poms went originally.

You can get loads of info by googling these places

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=salisbury+and+Elizabeth+crime&btnG=Search&meta=

Guest Thongs Rule
Hi

Places I would not personally want to live.

Elizabeth

Para Hills

Salisbury

Christies Beach

Hackham

Noarlunga - I know there are loads of Brits living happily here, just not my choice. Spoke to a British policeman who thought Noarlunga was positively tame to the part of Wales he had come from.

Morphett Vale has been criticised but has some nice parts.

The general rule use to be not too far North and not too far South.

North seems to be worse and with the 49 gang getting rather out of control at the moment and a lot of Bikies in that area, you need to be vigilant. My friends daughter lived in Elizabeth and was broken into 3 times in 6 weeks before moving out of the area. Elizabeth and Salisbury are where many of the ten pound poms went originally.

You can get loads of info by googling these places

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=salisbury+and+Elizabeth+crime&btnG=Search&meta=

Generally I agree with your advice. Don't go too far north or south... Better still, look east or West....

My OH owns 6 properties in Elizabeth and 3 in salisbury and has not seen a problem, other than higher than state average returns on investments, for all you budding investors.....

Car crime and drugs are higher in the north, whilst robbery and sexual assault are higher to south.

The domminent bikie gang, the jokers are based in Wingfield, where as the Finks and the hells Angels are based to the south round reynella and seaford.... but if you don't mix in their business they don't mix in yours...

There is a lot of crime around but most is drug / drink fuelled and seems to focus in family / friends, not the random acts of violence you guys may be used to in the UK.

if your seriously worried about crime but want to live here then the east of city is the best right up into the hills....

Guest Django
If you want a straight, honest answer send me a Personal Message, if you want a PC answer ask someone else!

You mean if you want a straight and honest opinion PM you. How is it PC to say its down to the individual? I used to live in an area of London where drug crime was rife. There were shootings most weeks and muggings were common place. I was quite happy there and never felt 'at risk'. In fact I loved it there. Tracey on the other hand locked the car doors everytime we approached the area. So yes it is down to the individual and personal choice. I was more than happy to live there and there are others who would avoid at all costs.

You cannot tell other people were it is good to live and where it is not. Just because your opinion is one thing it doesn't mean its the same for everyone else.

Pete

Guest KateG

Hi

I think it is great to get personal opinions as you can then research areas that are put forward and make your own decision. You are right, what one person perceives as a bad area, another may not. I think if someone asks the question, everybody should feel able to answer it without feeling they will get criticised. It is after all only an opinion. I certainly found it useful to get lots of different opinions and then make our own decision.

Guest Django

I agree Kate and Jessica is more than entitled to say it as she sees it.

However, it is just an opinion. Jessica's post to me was saying PM me and I'll tell you how it is rather than PM me and I'll tell you what I think. I've read loads of posts on here since joining the forum from people that have moved out to Adelaide and ended up living and being happy in areas that they never considered living in because the heard it was a bad place to be.

As said before I have lived in places where others feel concerned over there own safety or felt threatened in some way and loved it there. I have also lived in places where most people think is fabby coz no one gets mugged, broken into, etc but found the place wanting. Remember, opinions are all well and good but until you see it, & live it for yourself then you will never know for sure. I'm not for one moment suggesting this of Jessica (before anyone jumps down my throat) but I have discovered, like anywhere, there is quite a bit of area snobbery around so you have to weed out the honest replies from the blinkered ones.

Pete

Pete

Guest thelincolns

Pete, with all due respect (you are also a moderator) you are humourous and speak sense, and put up nice posts. But- I would like to see a bit more impartiality from you exactly because you are a moderator. It seems that on here people are not allowed to disagree with the mainstream idea that you don't criticize anything just to avoid dissent and/or, worse, telling off. I thought the idea of going to Oz was to embrace the freedom of telling it as it is :wacko:

So, if anybody lives in a mainstream suburb here and says it's great or better one does get the thumbs up, whilst somebody else who lives in areas perceived as "snob quarters" than that person gets wronged.

I am desperate to understand more about life in Adelaide-pls let EVERYONE say what they think and don't bully them. It will only create a situation where people only feel enfranchised about the mainstream idea.

What's wrong with liking the more traditional- albeit expensive- areas. Or is it because they are not affordable areas that people feel they have to belittle them?

Gosh, this is the second rant in 2 days- grumpy old woman:chatterbox:

Guest Django

Good post

As a moderator I moderate nasty posts and try to keep threads 'on topic' apart from that I am a user like everyone else and am entitled to my opinion just as you, Kate and Jessica are.

I don't think I bullied anyone. If I did then I am indeed sorry t'was never my intention. I just said it as I see it. My opinion. I posted, like I usually do without the mod hat on. You will see the Jessica's post remained exactly as she posted it with no editing from me or any other mod. As I have said she has the right to say it as she sees it so long as she doesn't offend anyone. If you feel my style of posts are not what you want from a moderator of this site then I will gladly step down and let someone else take over.

Nothing is wrong saying 'I like living here in x, y or z'. There is plenty wrong though with saying a, b and c is a total no go area. You have a high posibility of offending people that live there. How would you feel if someone suggested that you lived in an area that was full of crooks and social decline and must be avoided at all costs? This has happened in the past and a created lot of work for us as moderators to sort out. Telling someone where they should or indeed shouldn't live is a bit like telling someone what book to read. Its not until the individual starts to read the book that they can decide if its their type of book.

People that know me will tell you I'm all for free speech. I'm certainly not a member of the 'PC' brigade.

Oh keep on ranting as its good for the soul. :biglaugh:

At the end of the day, listen to comments and advice and when you get there make your own mind up!

We are moving to an unfashionable area In Andrews Farm. Have visited during our reccie and spoken to members near by and listened and watched comments about near areas. We were happy enough when we visited and will go in a positive frame of mind.

At the end of the day when we get there and we find its not what we expected a move to somewhere else will be a lot easier than the move from the uk!

We decided its a base to start and it is never going to be a long term home .

Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions and it is only fair that they are given but everone needs to make their own mind up when they are there.

This is not a moan or having a go at peoples comments before i get shot!

Im going still in a positive mind

Guest jill wright

I think you're posts are the most entertaining,honest ones around Pete. As for the 'moderator' bit I don't think you bully anyone far from it someone as to overlook the site and make sure things don't get out of hand which this site does very well which is why imo it is one of the better ones of its sort about. On the other hand though I do think it gets a little over sensitive at times I personally don't see anything wrong in saying an areas rough for fear of upsetting anyone who lives there and I'm sure most of us will realise the good expensive areas may be the nicest to live in but on the other hand not necessarily the most entertaining nor have a particular feel about them. I take all these posts with a pinch of salt and hope I can 'read' through alot of why some are actually written in the first place ie the person hasn't particularly settled well and isn't finding Australia to be quite what they thought. To be honest particularly since joining this site I no longer have any idea what to expect from Adelaide such is the difference of opinion on here but am never the less going to embrace what it has to offer anyway.

Jill

P.s. I particular like the 'ranting' posts , get it all off your chests folks

To be honest particularly since joining this site I no longer have any idea what to expect from Adelaide such is the difference of opinion on here but am never the less going to embrace what it has to offer anyway.

Jill

Sounds very sensible!

After all, we can only offer opinions, which are neither right nor wrong, just one person's view. I personally don't think it makes much difference whether the opinion is based on personal experience, from the experience of friends - Australian or otherwise-, or based on newspaper artcles etc. IMHO most areas have some parts that are seen as less desirable than others. Areas change, grow, improve or become hotbeds of crime, but public opinion can take a while to catch up with these changes.

I doubt whether I've made any sense at all, and I don't know whether this'll help at all:goofy:...I remember a thread asking about a particular school (A). One person replied that their child had had a terrible time there and had to move to a different school (B). At which point someone else wrote that their child had started off at (B), been bullied and moved to school (A) where they were having a great time!

:confused:LC

PS. Django's posts make sense to me. Should I be concerned?

Guest Django
I doubt whether I've made any sense at all,

More sense than your love of aussie rules. :biglaugh::biglaugh: Seriously though a very good post. As G.B.S. once said

“We must always think about things, and we must think about things as they are, not as they are said to be.”

All I'm saying is opinions are just that. By all means use them as a base for your research but always remember it is only another persons interpretation. I never said anyone's opinion was wrong, or right for that matter.

That said I shall disapear from this thread and let you carry on.

Django's posts make sense to me. Should I be concerned?

I thought I made sense, but was having doubts until you posted :D

Guest Nick11

We went out last night and left the back door wide open!!!! Not for the first time.

No probs at all.

Back in Nottingham I dread to think of what would have happened!

Guest KateG

I think it is really healthy to hear both sides of the story. I know plenty of Brits who have come over, have big pool in the back yard, mortgage free, cash in the bank and think Adelaide is brilliant. Well, anywhere is brilliant when your in that position.

For many who are struggling on poor wages, dealing with the expensive medical system (personal experience), etc etc. life is far from the dream we expected. It is usually those of us that have had a bad experience or experiences that are maybe somewhat negative sometimes. It can be quite annoying when you get criticised for criticising SA or Adelaide, when you have had a rough time. On the other hand I suppose if you are supping champagne by your pool in beautiful sunshine and debt free, you don't want to hear the moans and groans of those of us who are somewhat disillusioned. I always maintained that if we were going to struggle financially, I would rather struggle in the sunshine. There is some slight truth to this but in fact your problems are the same the world round.

I think maybe that many of us set ourselves up for a fall with misguided expectations. There are also many that did their research and for one reason or another are now struggling. I also totally acknowledge that many people are living their dream. I think a dose of reality is great for those coming over, doesn't mean it is all doom and gloom just good to prepare yourself. Aren't the stats approximately that 30% of Brits go home, which throws the odds in Australia's favour.

Kate

Guest thelincolns

Dear Pete,

I am sorry to read you over-reacted. In fact- as I said- I like very much your common sense in general, so I am surprised.

I have highlighted an attitude-held by a number of people as also Jill kindly added-and if you re-read my post you will find that there was absolutely nothing against anybody, and not against you. The ones who say openly why they don't like a neighbourhood or whatever should be invited to elaborate as to why they have that feeling. It helps other people understand. As Kate said there might be personal circumstances, or it might turn up to be a bit of factual info.

Bottom line-on replying to somebody saying something negative about "X" it's more useful IMHO to ask people "why do you dislike living in X?"-rather than "How dare you telling people not to live in X"

Nobody can stop you from making your own mind up- after all I have confidence that people on here can decide what is right for them and they are not going to rely on my opinion. But if I say something useful as to "X is not good in my experience because of so and so" (factual info) then I will be helpful to some people.

When we came to live in Bradford nobody told us what problems might lie ahead- we wish somebody in the know had bothered letting us know just how it was.

You mean if you want a straight and honest opinion PM you. How is it PC to say its down to the individual? I used to live in an area of London where drug crime was rife. There were shootings most weeks and muggings were common place. I was quite happy there and never felt 'at risk'. In fact I loved it there. Tracey on the other hand locked the car doors everytime we approached the area. So yes it is down to the individual and personal choice. I was more than happy to live there and there are others who would avoid at all costs.

You cannot tell other people were it is good to live and where it is not. Just because your opinion is one thing it doesn't mean its the same for everyone else.

Pete

This is the sort of PC response I am talking about!!

Did you read the newspaper article I attached on Elizabeth, Smithfield and Davoren Park?

I don't understand why you would not want to give new/prospective migrants the facts about these areas. The new/prospective migrants (like us once) will be giving up their life in the UK, selling their home, leaving their family and friends, jobs, security of whats familiar to come and start their lives over again. If I have the chance to present the facts about these areas, straight from the Adelaide newspaper, people can make their own mind up whether they want to live there, but in my opninion these sorts of problems are probably the reasons why they are leaving the UK in the first place.

One of the reasons I moved to Australia is because over here a spade is a spade and I was fed up of the PC atitude in the UK where no one felt they could be honest, for fear of repercussions. Its funny the only place I have experienced that since moving to Australia is on this website!

Guest Diane

I'd say drive around and avoid any suburbs where (a) there is a lot of graffiti, or (b) where there are a lot of 'traffic calming features' such as speed bumps etc on what look like perfectly normal roads - that to me indicates a lot of hoon activity. Hang around some schools at home time and see whether the kids look smart, with minimal piercings, neat hair cuts etc - that to me indicates higher standards of discipline in the schools.

I won't get into naming suburbs as I know a lot of English people live in places that I wouldn't want to! But everyone has their own preferences, so take what others say into account, but don't make any firm judgements until you've seen for yourselves!

That's all I'm saying!!

D