Shocked

adelaidenow

Last I looked Holden was still open though? So those jobs are still around?

Difference is Holden is definitely closing where as the project you are talking about still has a few hurdles to cross before it will happen. Might never happen at all. As soon as the news is announced that Rex Minerals have signed on the dotted line as it were then the news will be excellent. In the meantime we should treat it as potential future jobs rather than definite future jobs.

I'm always in two minds about mining - I know it's good for jobs, the economy etc but I hate what it does to the environment.

I mean; look at the UK news yesterday with regards to the licences for fracking up for tender - why aren't real alternatives being investigated rather than the "let's get as much as we can out of this land and watch it disappear into itself because there's actually nothing left holding us up"

Not saying it's not doing harm environmentally just that it's not causing earthquakes, tectonic plate shifts way below any mining activities cause earthquakes which have been happening way before our species evolved and decided they would take what they wanted from the planet and bury their heads in the sand over the consequences!

Not saying it's not doing harm environmentally just that it's not causing earthquakes, tectonic plate shifts way below any mining activities cause earthquakes which have been happening way before our species evolved and decided they would take what they wanted from the planet and bury their heads in the sand over the consequences!

But they are more regular now.

A bit like we have always had different weather patterns, but the modern world has made the extremes more common.

A good news story for jobs is the Masters / Bunnings expansions.

With the introduction of Masters into the hardware market there are thousands of jobs to be created in the next few years. Bunnings is countering the threat by buying up available prime ground and building more stores. Woolworths is doing the same.

There's a new Bunnings being built in Seaford which is very close to the existing Noarlunga store, and it all means more jobs.

Amid all the bad jobs news at least some good news.

Is there not a bunnings in seaford just now?

With the introduction of Masters into the hardware market there are thousands of jobs to be created in the next few years. Bunnings is countering the threat by buying up available prime ground and building more stores. Woolworths is doing the same.

There's a new Bunnings being built in Seaford which is very close to the existing Noarlunga store, and it all means more jobs.

Guest Guest75
Is there not a bunnings in seaford just now?

No, they have just purchased the site at the big intersection where Wood n Logs used to be.

The article mentions that the company has stated there's still 'a significant funding challenge ahead' and after hearing Rex's MD on the radio this morning I'd say that's putting it mildly.

If this mine happens, there'll be a mound of tailings hundreds of metres high. In an attempt to head off criticism (because this spoil will need to be kept permanently wet to avoid dust spreading) the MD kept pointing out that uranium quantities at the mine are very low and well below permitted safe levels, and therefore nobody had anything to be concerned about if the wind got up and this thing got spread around. He walked straight into the trap the two radio presenters had laid (they aren't particularly sharp, so their traps are well signposted and normally easily avoided) and they played him a recording of a radio interview done by his predecessor seven years ago when he was similarly trying to get funding for this mine, only back then it was going to produce uranium, which had been found in drill tests to exist there in commercial quantities.

Of course, the previous MD never managed to raise the funding, and now, seven years later where there's even less chance of getting financial backing for a uranium mine there and with much stricter environmental reporting and conditions if uranium levels go above a certain point, magically there isn't enough uranium at that mine for anyone to worry about after all.

Guest Guest12727

.....and a good thing that Bunnings do is employ older people. They actually have a policy to employ more mature people. A great place for anyone made redundant in their 50s or 60s.

But they are more regular now.

A bit like we have always had different weather patterns, but the modern world has made the extremes more common.

Weather/ global warming is one thing (pretty much scientifically proven now) but where have you read "earthquakes are more regular now"?