A hard day.....

scooterdan

Hey all,

This is just me having a sound off for a few minutes!!!

We have had a wonderfull day out in the Maclaren Vale today with many wonderfull people!! However it was a very sunny day and the wine was flowing well....except for me as i was driving!!

Steph had a bit to drink and was a bit tipsy......but when we were in the car the flood gates opened...and all the emotion came out!! it was the hardest drive back i have ever had....and i could quite easily have got on the net and booked flights back to blighty!!! Steph is now asleep and very calm.....but honestly, if Steph had said then take me back i wouldnt have thought twice!!

This is by far the hardest and most emotional weekend we have had in a long while.....!!! We are commited to staying....but there can be hard times ahead...so be prepared!!

Rant over....life goes on....Sorry!

Dan and Steph

Dan and Steph,

Im sure everyone who has ever done what you have done have had days like that and im sure you will get through it. Stay positive guys as we need you when we get there to show us the ropes:notworthy:

ps im glad i dont drink wine;)

Guest louiesmum

Hi Dan Steph

As Ian says I'm sure everyone has days like that but as the saying goes tomorrow is another day! I think if you didnt that would be more unusual, I hope steph is ok & doesn't suffer too much tomorrow. See you soon.

Guest Django

This is only to be expected Dan. Stay strong and remind yourself of why you went out there in the first place. Oh and bang things around a bit noisier than normal when Steph wakes up. I hear its very good for the head after drinking too much wine. ;):biglaugh:

Pete

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Dan and Steph,

Your emotions must be running wild at the moment, after all it's a huge thing you have both done.

Be strong and you will get through it and at the end of the day you will be glad you did.

Steph, stay off the wine, try 7up!

Martin and Val

Guest jill wright

Its good to know its not all a bed of roses when you get there and i think probably with all the extreme changes and everything new to take in its bound to be emotional and to blurt it all out (espeicially when the wine is flowing I do it regularly come to think of it tho whether the wine is flowing or not). Good you listen to her (although don't suppose you had any choice as you were driving). I wouldn't take it all to heart though alot of things get said given those circumstances. Keep on with the venture!!

JILL

Dan and Steph, the first two weeks are the hardest I think. I know that when we came over we had a dreadful first two weeks and if one of us had turned round and said "Let's go back" we probably would have booked the flights there and then. Richie even went into Flight Centre to see how much it would cost to fly to Perth (we have family there). It does get better I promise you, Steph is probably still pretty jet lagged and that combined with a couple of glasses of wine probably made things seem worse than they really are. Stay strong, make sure you meet lots of people but for goodness sake, don't give up the wine!!!!

Guest The Pottertons

I really love the honestness of you guys and that you're almost taking us along for the journey with you! Its really helpful to us all. Maybe its a positive thing that Steph has been really emotional! She is beginning to grieve for what she had and that is the first step to healing and becoming a strong aussie lass!!! Im sure we'll all go through it and my heart goes out to you both. Much love to you Steph, keep going, It WILL get easier. And Dan- lots of cuddles i reckon!! Take care guys Yvonne xx

Guest mOZzy

hi dan and steph!

not much to add for me really.

give steph a big hug from me and maybe a tiny one for yourself ;)

i can imagine it must be very hard on you/her leaving all the family behind - i take it she was rather close to hers?!

as others suggested: go out and meet people!!!!! - but i know you do that anyways :cute:

and once she'll have her job (fingers crossed for that interview) - she'll settle even faster!!

i WILL get easier and one day you won't look back!

Guest graandjac

Chin up guys iam sure its all 100% natural to have all these doubts , just remember all the reasons not to go back to the uk.....they are still there......cheers Graham

Guest Nick11
Hey all,

We have had a wonderfull day out in the Maclaren Vale today with many wonderfull people!! However it was a very sunny day and the wine was flowing well....except for me as i was driving!!

Steph had a bit to drink and was a bit tipsy......but when we were in the car the flood gates opened...and all the emotion came out!! it was the hardest drive back i have ever had....and i could quite easily have got on the net and booked flights back to blighty!!! Steph is now asleep and very calm.....but honestly, if Steph had said then take me back i wouldnt have thought twice!!

This is by far the hardest and most emotional weekend we have had in a long while.....!!! We are commited to staying....but there can be hard times ahead...so be prepared!!

Dan and Steph

Ah sweetie I'm so sorry.

I didn't realise she felt like that. I thought how great you both were to say you'd only been here a few weeks. To be honest I never even saw her drink this afternoon.

Good luck with the job tomorrow.

Remember it's early days and you have friends here.

Nick

x

Guest smit
Hey all,

Dan and Steph

Welcome to the emigration business!. Nothing really prepares you for it. You may think you know what it might be like sitting in UK, but in reality, double your difficult thoughts and you will be nearer the mark.

Just one of a number of hurdles you will face.Hang in there..............it gets easier.

Guest Libby1971

Damn, I knew I would frighten someone without my makeup on!:eek:

Seriously though, I thought you were both doing really well. I am sorry to hear Steph was a bit upset - maybe the thought of you being out at work as well bothers her.

Hope she feels better now and good luck tomorrow.

Thinking of you both, chin up, and take care

Libby

It's natural to feel like this. It took me 2 years to stop feeling homesick. Some people settle straight away. Now I call SA my home, after a trip back to the UK to realise that I'd done the right thing.

It was a lovely day for chilling out at the wineries. Wish I could have joined you instead of going to a baby shower. Can't wait to meet you at the Barossa trip. If you ever feel like you need someone to talk to, I'm here!

Guest Guest75

Hope Steph is feeling much better today.

Yesterday was a lovely day that should high light why you are here.

But it just goes to show you how homesickness can creep in at any time.:D

Hey all,

Thanks everyone for you lovely supportive comments....its so nice we are not the only ones who go through this!

Steph is alot happier today, and has been spending my hard earned money in the city!!!

My first day at work went very well....all nice people, a small team that i reckon i will fit into well!! The job is laid back but at the same time the work just flows nicely and gets done!!

Thanks all!

Dan and Steph

Guest Nick11

To be honest - you wouldn't be normal if you weren't feeling this way.

I remember the first 5 weeks we were here I went to bed plastered every night - only way I could get through it!

Glad you had a lovely first day. Hubby gets very frustrated as there never seems to be any urgency in the printing game.

Nick

Guest katsmajic

Everyone has covered it all already, we arrived just before you, ive been waiting for one of us to have a wobble....we havnt as yet - unless hes not telling me something :wacko:

if Steph would like to meet up for a coffee give me a shout xxxx

Gosh, poor Steph. I had no idea that she was 'that' upset on the way back, I honestly thought she had just had a few to many. Please don't give up the wine or the wineries !!

With you starting work & Steph still looking, it will be hard & emotions will be high. It WILL get easier.

You have achieved SOOOOOOOOOOO much in the couple of weeks that you have been here, be VERY proud of yourselves.

If we can help let us know.

Take care

Angela x

Guest jocool

Hi, I have been exactly were Steph is and for the first few months I did the same.

Stick with it and be strong for each other, I think you just have to keep reminding yourself why you came and what you guys have to look forward to together, rather that looking back and missing what you have left, It definetly has helped me, I am honestly at a stage I still miss everyone (dont think that will ever go) but cant see myself going back....