insurance claim!!!

Lol63

Hi all, just wondering if you can dispute an insurance claim (car) and if so how do you go about it? My son dinged a car in a carpark, he made contact with the rear wheel arch, but the other persons insurance want just over $2 grand for damages he couldn't have done, just a bit pissed off as he didn't have insurance at the time as he had only just bought it and thought he was covered with the rego insurance, any advice would be appreciated.

Is he an RAA member? I believe they have a legal dept. that may advise him.

Alternatively, contact the other persons insurance co. and ask for all the details of the claim and costs of repair and a copy of the quotes and tell them he will dispute any damage he thinks he didn't do. Don't suppose he took any photos on his mobile at the time?

But it does not have to be a lot of damage for an car repairer to give a quote of $2000. We were quoted $3500 for a taillight repair.

For all newcomers, it is important to note that the registration ins. only covers bodily injury to the third party.

He got a detailed report from insurance, for example, rear left 1/4 window $$$, he hit the wheel arch, rear bumper dented $$$, again he hit the wheel arch etc etc. The police took pictures at the time, but they want $69 to print them off. He is now insured with SGIC, but don't know if they will advise him what to do. Looks like we will have to pay to see the photo's.

The rear wheel arch and wing area is one of the more expensive places to repair a car because so much of it just doesn't simply unbolt from the rest of the car. Always take plenty of photos of any damage from every angle possible at the time. Also bear in mind it depends on what car you hit as some of the cheaper ones can be more badly damaged than, say, a Commodore in a crash of the same magnitude. Son's other half has a Kia Cerato that was rear ended. It was only a slight donk that resulted in a couple of minor paint chips missing from the rear bumper however underneath the car the towbar mount had been bent and that in turn had deformed the spare wheel recess. Goes to show that not all damage is easily visible.

Last time I used a repairer it was South Road Crash Repairs in, oddly enough, South Road. I'd recommend them if you're looking for somewhere.

Son is going down the police station tomorrow to get the pics and report, as he has to go to court the police said he can bring the matter of the insurance up with the judge and the judge will rule if its excessive or not. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice guys x

Guest Claire-n-tel
Son is going down the police station tomorrow to get the pics and report, as he has to go to court the police said he can bring the matter of the insurance up with the judge and the judge will rule if its excessive or not. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice guys x

Why does he have to go to court? Regarding this accident?.....do you know when?.....I think that he can be charged interest on the amount if he delays either paying it or contesting it

My son like yours rear ended a car and we too thought the rego covered any repairs on the other persons car, and have found out the expensive way! It looked like he had done little damage but 6 months after the accident ( we thought they had decided rather stupidly to not get it repaired!) he got an invoice for $4200 with 7 days to pay! I disputed it, asked why we were never given the chance to get independent quotes but was advised thats not how it works in Australia. After asking around and looking into the cost of car repairs here we decided it would be more expense and hassle to contest so again from advise offered them $20 a week which they gladly accepted telling him it was a pleasure to have a youngster offer to pay because the majority they have to chase for the debt.

Why has he got to go to court though? Same situation as my sons and other than have to report it to the police and receive a caution for causing an accident there was no further dealings with the police.

sarah

Edited by simon@sarah

He didn't report it as he only nudged it, it didn't look like he had done any damage, so he came home. 2 days later the police came and said it was a hit n run and he would have to appear in court, he is still waiting for the summons.

That's odd. Did he not stop? They must think they have some evidence.

Thats exactly what he did, he did not realise he had to report it, there was no adult in the car, just a toddler stood up in the front seat, had he told us when it happened we would have taken him to the police station and reported it, we knew to report but unfortunately he didn't. He is not disputing that he made contact with the car just the amount the insurance want.

Edited by Lol63
more added

Guest Claire-n-tel

Ouch!.....tbh I would be very surprised if he gets any leeway or support from a judge, ignorance of the road laws will be no defence, kind of like saying sorry officer I did not know I should not drink and drive.

Looking at what you say happened, ie he hit an unmanned stationary car in a car park, got out and saw no damage but did notice a small child in the car alone, got back in his car not even leaving a note and drove off not waiting for the driver to tell them of the accident in case of unseen damage or in case of as yet unapparent injury to the child. He then did not report the incident to the police or even tell yourself. It only came to light because the police caught up with him.

hit and run offences can be punished with a fine, a disqualification or even imprisonment.

i think at this point a $2000 insurance claim is the least of his worries.

Guest Claire-n-tel
I would say the people who left an unsupervised toddler in a car commited the more serious offence.

I would absolutely agree Steve......but I don't think that makes any difference in helping the op's sons case or makes it any less an offence.

The laws here are bonkers sometimes, my sons car was also hit in a Coles car park quite badly, the trolley collector witnessed it and when the other driver drove off (an old woman) they took her number plate details, paged my son over the tannoy in the shop and handed them to him stating she was willing to be a witness in court. My son took the details to the police and said that there was absolutely nothing they could do as,it was his word against hers even with a witness! I was disgusted and figured that is why so many drive away from accidents without stopping as there is no comeback! But reading this now think the police officer he saw obviously couldn't be arsed with the hassle of report etc.

Guest Claire-n-tel
The laws here are bonkers sometimes, my sons car was also hit in a Coles car park quite badly, the trolley collector witnessed it and when the other driver drove off (an old woman) they took her number plate details, paged my son over the tannoy in the shop and handed them to him stating she was willing to be a witness in court. My son took the details to the police and said that there was absolutely nothing they could do as,it was his word against hers even with a witness! I was disgusted and figured that is why so many drive away from accidents without stopping as there is no comeback! But reading this now think the police officer he saw obviously couldn't be arsed with the hassle of report etc.

They absolutely can press charges against them, sounds like you might be right about the officer.

The law here concerning insurance included in the rego only covers personal injury not damage to vehicles

that has to be paid for by the person who caused the damage and why lots of cases go to court

if you are involved in an accident and the police do not attend then it's best to report it within 24 hours to the nearest police station and get a reference number