Royal Adelaide Show 2014

snifter

We have just gotten home from the show. Worn out but happy.

We arrived early and it was pretty empty so we headed in to check out the show bags. Blimey. Managed to get out with my wallet still intact.

Wandered round and saw cattle showing, kids farm, wood chopping, tractors, chooks, lots of small furries, an amazing robot, a few live acts including the Pantsdown Circus who were really good. Also checked out the technology tent, the main hall, art and food and more.

Then onto the fun fair and food. Although we had a packed lunch for son and a couple of drinks we did need some sustenance and a drink top up. $5 for a bottle of pop and $13 for a plate of Chinese food was ouch but there.

Stumbled on the show jumping and other delights.

Back to the show bags to make a final decision and purchase. Was amazed at how many bags some people had. Armfuls of them.

We then went and watched the dog agility and loved that. Good fun and a chance to rest our legs while watching others stretch theirs ;)

On the way out we saw. More wood chopping in the main arena and a wander out through the fun fair which son was in awe of at night with all the lights on.

Pics to follow :)

I'm sure others will be going, if so look forward to hearing your stories :)

We went yesterday as well. No pictures though. We left about 1pm having been through most stuff except the rides as my youngest had had enough and was starting to get grumpy. I said last year I'd love to go without the kids and felt a bit the same this year, although we did get to see more this year. My youngest (and I to be fair) hates loud noises and the rides area really upset him last year so we avoided getting too close this year.

Had a great time and I spent almost no money at all - took drinks, snacks and lunch. The kids had some money to spend and the youngest spent all his on show bags and the eldest just spent a bit on something he was wanting to buy anyway and could have got from elsewhere. My OH treated himself to a liquorice show bag and we bought a soft drink and some doughnuts. Next year I'm going to save up and take myself on a different day to the kids and spend more time looking at the things I'm interested in.

The show bags used to be free and were sample bags from manufacturers etc. They were a way to get you to try their products, so would contain small bottles, jars ,sachets etc. In time they became full of other stuff and had a price, so in a way the buying of showbags is a tradition at the show. Children would eagerly wait for the lists to come out in the weekend paper advertising what there was about 2 weeks before the show and the ads would come on TV. Of course like everything, they have become a lot more commercial and expensive but it's part of the show and people will get bags as requested for people who cant make it to the show that year. The most iconic is the bertie beetle showbag , which I think is only $1 or $2.

We got the Bertie Beetle one for $3. It had a mini kitkat and smarties pack in too. They had the $2 one also. Son was happy with it :)

I baulked at spending $25 or more on some. Now I know what to expect I'll be more prepared next year ;) Hubby was shocked at some of the prices since he last went.

It's all good fun but pricey. I'd certainly not let my son go mad buying masses of the things. One yes, but more, not worth it IMHO.