Adelaide "City of Corpses"

Guest weesp

Guest weesp

OMG, watched Australian Crime yesterday on TV, had Adelaide on there, wished I hadn't of watched it, it said that although Adelaide is a small City, the vast number of murders that have occurred there is signifcantly higher than a lot of the larger cities in Australia. The grotesque murders they had on yesterday all were children being abducted, drugged, tortured and murdered violently, having 3 kids of my own I am now seriously having 2nd thoughts about coming over, I keep saying, out of the frying pan and into the fire!!!!!!! Having not been to adelaide before, can anybody who lives there put any light onto this, I know somebody said the other day, that they are quite sensored to what they put in the papers, so really how do we know how bad it is over there!!!!! Our reasons for moving to Australia were to have a better and safer life for us and my children, the last thing we want is to have it worse!!!! Please any advice would be grateful, need some serious convincing.

Lynn, Tony & Boys.:wacko:

I've lived here for 6 years and I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

If you think coming to Australia that there is no crime then I think you should think again about coming. There is crime everywhere including children being abducted, drugged, tortured and murdered violently, although not come across this in the papers since I've been here.

Guest weesp
I've lived here for 6 years and I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

If you think coming to Australia that there is no crime then I think you should think again about coming. There is crime everywhere including children being abducted, drugged, tortured and murdered violently, although not come across this in the papers since I've been here.

No, I'm not silly, I know there is crime in Australia and all over the world, but I don't want to live somewhere that is worse than here!!!!! I want a safer environment for my kids and not have to panic whenever they say they are going out. I know, again, that sounds like I want paradise, which I can't have unfortunately, but as I said before, I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire!!

Lynn

Guest Django

TV programmes are all about getting people to watch them. You can make anywhere look like Beruit if highlight cases of crime. This makes for good viewing and the more people that watch the programmes the more they can charge for the adverts. Of course there is crime out there as you say so yourself. Its all about degrees of crime.

There are no school, to my knowledge, in Adelaide that have metal detectors for the pupils to walk through everytime the enter the building. Yes they have gangs out they that shoot each other but if you don't get involved they will leave you alone. Over here guns are more readily available and are used more often.

In short yes there is crime out there but don't let a sensationalising tv programme tell you it is anywhere near as bad as it is here in Blighty. When was the last time suicide bombers blew up buses and trains in Oz? 5.gif

Pete

Guest Nick11

I was talking to some born and bred Adelaidians at work and they said there aren't that many murders in south oz - but when they happen - they are the most bizarre in the world.

They were telling me about a few - won't go into details - bizarre is not the word!

When the news headlines is 4 girls leave reign of terror after going shoplifting in a shopping centre - you know you're better off here!

Yes I have to wade through the bodies trying to get to the shops, it's getting that bad. That abduction of the kids you were watching happened over 20 years ago. There are 3 famous ones, The 3 Beaumont Kids that disappeared at the beach in the 60s( killed Adelaide's innocence that allowed evenyoung kids to go anywhere unsupervised), The Truro murders where about 7 teenage girls were picked up 1 by 1 and murdered and dumped out at Truro and The family murders, a bunch of homosexuals nabbing boys and young men off the street.

Seriously though, Adelaide has a population of over 1 million who live here , work and play here safely. Just because some crime gets highlighted it doesn't mean its an everyday occurrence. Just as at work I have to remind those nurses who are having babies that theirs will prob be normal, because our patients are sometimes deformed and have major problems, there are large numbers of normal babies and kids out there in the normal world. Same with crime stories. Most people who experience crime here have their house broken into, or their car pinched, or their bag nabbed. It is very rare for someone who doesn't move in the mentally ill circles, or alcahol fuelled violence to have personal experience of major crime.

We have been hearing about all the stabbings of young people in London. If you didn't know the place you could believe that there are people waiting to stab you on every corner, whereas in most instances it seems that the stabber knew the stabee.

It is normal to see these programs and think the worst as you don't know what it is like here, what the people are like and you are about to sink heavy amounts of financial and emotional effort into moving here.

Guest Sallyanne

I was born in Adelaide and lived there until I was 23. I left 7 years ago to travel and see the world. It was only meant to be for 6 months but I met my husband so I'm still abroad! I can't wait to move back to Adelaide next year. All my family and friends are there and noboby has every said that they do not feel safe in Adelaide. Like anywhere in the world bad things happen and that is all the news reports on. Look at how many teenage stabbings are happening in London for example, does that stop people from moving there? I even grew up in the northern suburbs which are considered quite rough but I still felt safe there. Not all people in the northern suburbs are bad either, all my family have university degrees and are doing very well for themselves. Judge for youself!

Guest Griff

It's just trying to get viewers IMO.

I was listeneing to the radio today. BT are reducing the number of public telephone boxes.

The report played interviews with three people, all said they need them. I wonder how many people they had to get through to find three, but it's no story if 100 said they never or very rarely use them.

Have I gone off on a tangent there????? sorry!