Wildlife out and about

snifter

We've got a blue tongue lizard in our garden too. Was surprised when I saw him/her a while ago and quite large now. I always wondered where our snail population went as we used to have them in almost plague proportions and didn't like to use poisons. So now we know. They are quite cute, the cats always find them as a bit of a novelty.

• 1 month later...

Redbacks, earwigs, millipedes, white tails....

and a few pretty honey eaters....all in one day, after we picked up our keys.

Did I mention the cockroach that came from one of the cardboard bones....eek!

Bug bombs set off in every room....

;-)

A few more visitors/guests I've managed to snap.

A (house) gecko, one of a fair few it seems :biggrin: A little skink in the garden (who appears to have grown a new tail in the past as its a different colour to the rest of him) and a mole cricket. Mole crickets are everywhere in our lawn and we often see them at night, well, hear them mostly but occasionally one pops out on the path. This one I found when gardening the other day. Popped him back in the grass once done. Over an inch in size and the strangest looking things.

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

Edited by snifter

• 3 months later...

A few more :biggrin:

This is a spider wasp that stung and paralysed a hunstman spider in our front garden the other day. Apparently the wasps are solitary, dig burrows and capture live prey to lay an egg on. When the egg hatches, it has a ready made meal all waiting for it :eek:

DSC04681.jpg

DSC04685.jpg

DSC04688.jpg

DSC04689.jpg

A few more :biggrin:

This is a spider wasp that stung and paralysed a hunstman spider in our front garden the other day. Apparently the wasps are solitary, dig burrows and capture live prey to lay an egg on. When the egg hatches, it has a ready made meal all waiting for it :eek:

OMFG!!!!! That is horrific!!!! :swoon:

The Roos are always at the side of the road in Commercial Rd, Seaford / Port Noarlunga South.

It doesn't look out of the ordinary now...:smile:

I have never yet seen Roos in the wild in the 2.5 years we have been living here. That trip to Port Noarlunga for coffee and cake might have to take in some Roo sightseeing as well.

I have never yet seen Roos in the wild in the 2.5 years we have been living here. That trip to Port Noarlunga for coffee and cake might have to take in some Roo sightseeing as well.

The Roos are at the side of the road a few km past Jubilee Park (the wooden fort) on the left hand side. There's an area by the estuary walk which is a great scenic stroll.

The area where they are is opposite the built up suburb of Port Noarlunga South, stretching down to Seaford with established houses along the road but the kangaroos roam freely on the other side. They are going to build hundreds of new homes on this ground soon but hopefully the roos will move to the estuary and they will leave enough ground and not build on it all.

The biggest roos that I have seen are in the McLaren Vale area. OMG they are huge!

• 2 months later...

I'm out and about quite a bit and luckily live in a peaceful area where we get to see lots of different wildlife. Most of these pics are from my wanders or out and about in our garden somewhere.

Stumbled across these things in the past few weeks and thought I'd share :biggrin:

From what I can work out this is a Gum Leaf Katydid (green cricket)

IMG_5329.jpg

And a ring tailed possum. We have one for the past 6 weeks or so living in some of the trees in our garden and getting rather tubby on all the scoff up there. But this one had just crossed a road in daylight as I was walking home from school one day. Appeared fine, alert, moving well and so on but for some reason was moving round in daylight. It stopped on the path just before the bushes and that was how I managed to get close to take these pics. We then stepped back and left it to go on its way which it did. They can move pretty fast when they want to thats for sure :)

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

Are there any 'hotspots' for seeing koalas in the wild? My wife is desperate to see one. We've seen just about everything else in Australia in the wild but never a koala!

We see lots on our travels as we live in the foothills. We see plenty out in the wild around the Coromandel Valley area. Often in trees in residential streets as you drive or walk down them. We have a koala visit the gum tree behind our house on a regular basis and think its the same one as we got close up to in the pics. I know we have 3 different ones all within 200 metres of our door in different directions. They move around to favourite trees, usually every few days. Most of the time you'd not even notice them if in the car but if you are walking then what you'll see first is the koala poo on the ground and then you need to look up, especially if its fresh :cute: Chances are, scanning the tree from various angles for a minute or two and you'll spot it there sleeping. We often see them on the ground around here too moving from tree to tree, often about 3-5pm in the day. This is when I am usually on the school run and have one cross the path in front of me or something.

If you drive through Belair and take Old Belair Road or Sheoak road and go for a wander into the Belair national park you may have some luck. Its a case of in the car, keeping eyes peeled in the trees and on foot scanning the trees and ground. We've seen a fair few out that way. One likes a tree or two at Weymouth Oval, by the car park overlooking the oval. We saw female with a young one there a few times over the summer when we were there. Or try Blackwood forest reserve.

Edited by snifter
added a bit