| || |
We are just fitting in saying our goodbyes now and are pretty much booked up until we go! Ha ha....never been so popular, we decided against a party to just meeting with close friends and family for meals, will you be having a party?? Oooohhhh it's all happening!! Xx
January 2013 met with concept Australia,IELTS 6/4/13,skills ass 9/4/14,EOI 1/5/14, State Sponsor SA 10/6/14,Attended medical 11/09/14 Visa granted16/10/14 making the move in March
My husband and I and our 10 month old son are hoping to arrive in Adelaide June/July this year. My husband is also an IT professional with a speciality in .Net C# over the last 10 years. He has been doing contract work in the UK for the last 4 years. Do you happen to have any insight into what the job market is like for these specific skills as IT is such a broad area and people can specilize in different computer languages? I have noticed you have brought up the availability (or not!) of IT work in Adelaide on this thread. When you have referred to 'local' knowledge, do you think having worked in Oz before helps with that or are we talking local as in Adelaide? I don't quite understand if it is so local as surely the basis of state sponsorship is because of a skills shortage in that field - hence the need to bring in immigrants?!
Anyway, interested to hear from you on the IT side and thanks for sharing the useful tips on bank accounts etc. Do you have any idea what your charges will be to trasfer money into your new Oz bank account from London?
Hello Snifter, thanks for your post on removal companies etc. We're going to be pushed to fit all our stuff into a 20ft container! I'd not heard of these move cube's until i read your post! I'm wondering if we might be able to use one for any excess we have - do you mind me asking how much it cost to ship one?
Hi Lorraineandsean - I notice you mention shipping your pet to Adelaide. Would you be able to share some quick tips with me on how to start this task as we have 1 cat we plan to bring with us - aiming to be in Adelaide June/July this year. Which pet shipping companies did you get quotes from, am i right in thinking the nearest quarantine to Adelaide is in Melbourne (costs of this?) and when do the jabs need to start in preparation for shipping?
Click this link, enter the country and date of planned travel and it will give you a list of things you need to do and when and then contact your vet re the rabies vaccination to get the ball rolling.
The link at the bottom of that page contains a detailed breakdown of all the steps and what they are, but here it is in case
For pet shipping Pet Air UK get very good feedback and have always been very helpful. Worth dropping them an email perhaps. There is also Golden Arrow pet shippers that I recall and have seen people say they have used. You can google for others but ensure you check reviews and so on.
Be aware you have to book the quarantine and its iirc a 10 day stay now, usually in Melbourne and it isn't cheap. Then arrange to get your pet from there or have it flown up. Contact them direct for prices and availability.
Good luck with it all :)
Last edited by snifter; 15-01-2015 at 09:58 PM.
For IT sector there are jobs which j see on seek.com or on Indeed but again I didn't get any positive response, the reason my friends in Sydney gave me is as I am not present in Adelaide and my resume still shows indian address I don't qualify to be screened even.
Yes local experience I'd very important and the skill shortage list has nothing to do with availability of jobs in a specific field in IT as it really generic.
I will suggest to start contacting people over LinkedIn as that way you may get a referral or a recommendation which will greatly help.
I am coming in the same time in June so we can actually connect there. For transferring money there are no additional charges from NAB jut the regular conversion fees. ANZ has annual charges and transfer fees so NAB is the best option.
I am sharing this again as this might help you @ Patel
On arrival services for skilled migrants
1. On arrival registration - General Skilled Migrants only
· If you're a recent state nominated migrant it is condition of your visa that you register your arrival and complete five short surveys during your first two years in South Australia.
o Once you've registered your arrival you'll be contacted by email to complete surveys after three months, six months, one year, 18 months and the final survey after two years.
o The surveys are very short containing up to six questions only. Questions relate to the employment status and employment satisfaction.
o The information provided in these surveys is important so we know how migrants are settling in to life in South Australia. It also helps Immigration SA continue to improve its services for future migrants.
o If you've recently migrated to South Australia on a state nominated visa but have not received your invitation to register or complete a survey, please emailDMITREImmigrationSARegistrations@sa.gov.au.
2. Specialist Migrant Services (SMS)
· Telephone: 1800 506 266 Web: http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/"]skills.sa.gov.au
· The South Australian Government’s Specialist Migrant Services (SMS) supports skilled migrants to find meaningful employment through a range of services including:
o Information, consultation and support with employment related issues
o Meetings with new migrants to cover resume writing, understand job advertisements and job interview techniques
o Ongoing support through the process of skills recognition and into skilled employment
o Information and advice about pathways to recognition of overseas gained qualifications or locally gained trade skills
o Comparative assessments of academic qualifications gained overseas.
3. Information sessions
· Information sessions are free events held once a month in Adelaide. The sessions cover important information about living and working in South Australia specific to newly arrived migrants.
· State nominated migrants are encouraged to register and attend an information session hosted by Immigration SA soon after arrival in South Australia.
· Information sessions are held in Adelaide once a month to help new arrivals settle in to South Australia.
o Your responsibilities as a state nominated visa holder
o Employment assistance – details of service providers able to assist you to gain employment in South Australia
o Pathways to permanency for provisional visa subclasses 495, 475, 487 and 489.
o Presenters from a variety of agencies are available to answer your questions after each session.
o Information Sessions are held at:
o Time: 1:30pm - 3.00pm (entry from 1:15pm)
o Venue: Theatrette, Ground Floor, 55 Currie Street, Adelaide
o Register: https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/node/110
Provisional visa holders
· Provisional visa holders are asked to register their arrival online. An email request is sent to help registration. About six to eight weeks after your visa is granted and email will be sent to you with a link to register online. If you haven’t received an email asking you to register, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Once you’ve registered your arrival, you’ll also start receiving regular employment surveys from Immigration SA. A total of five surveys will be sent to you at three, six, twelve, eighteen and twenty four months from the time of your arrival in South Australia.
· We also encourage you to attend an https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/node/110"]information session where you will be given useful information about employment, permanency and government services.
Enroll your children in school
· Child Care: http://ifp.mychild.gov.au/
· Glenelg Primary School: http://www.glenelgps.sa.edu.au/"]www.glenelgps.sa.edu.au/
Find your new job
Activate Bank Account
· https://www.commbank.com.au/"]Commonwealth Bank of Australia
· https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=we b&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjA A&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nab.com.au%2F&ei=FS hOVInjJOLUmgWIpIK4BA&usg=AFQjCNGYNYm8YkIjaZMoe DAsjrjyRcgfgA&sig2=9pZtwLqWGLttRbuuHxKCkA" ;]NAB
· http://www.saambulance.com.au/ProductsServices/AmbulanceCover.aspx"]Ambulance Cover - SA Ambulance Service
Australian Sim card for Mobile Phone
Buy a car
Find a Rental
South Australian Drivers Licence
Tax File Number