Cold water tap...

The Monaghans

As the temperature hits 37 or so today, thought it might be a good idea to let all recent arrivals know that when you turn on your cold water tap it will only be cold for the first few seconds. After that it will be scalding hot - I'm not joking here - for seven or eight seconds before running cold again. I'm being genuine here, if you have small children you need to be aware of this!

...and the reason for that is water pipes are not routinely insulated. Same reason your hot tap runs cold in winter. Suggestion to all - if you're taking a ceiling or wall down and you see pipes, lag them while you can.

The hot tap running cold is identical to England. The water you get initially hasn't just been warmed up, it's residue in the pipes, I wouldn't waste any money lagging a pipe for the sake of a few seconds TBH. In England pipes are insulated to stop them freezing and bursting. Something that wont happen here.

As for scalding water out of the cold tap, worth noting but I have never once had that issue here in my 11 years.

The hot tap running cold is identical to England. The water you get initially hasn't just been warmed up, it's residue in the pipes, I wouldn't waste any money lagging a pipe for the sake of a few seconds TBH. In England pipes are insulated to stop them freezing and bursting. Something that wont happen here.

As for scalding water out of the cold tap, worth noting but I have never once had that issue here in my 11 years.

I turned on the cold tap in the kitchen this afternoon and the water was as hot almost as if out of the hot tap. No one had used it for a while either, so not that it was still from the hot or something. It can happen.

My last house the pipes were outside along the whole edge of the house before coming into the kitchen. In the afternoon when the sun was on that side of the house they were HOT! Such a waste of water.