Loving adelaide!!!

paulnclare

Who said things would be tough! You actually get to talk to a person when making enquiries.!!! Aussie license done, tax code done , Ambo cover done, Medicare sorted all in less than 2hours.. Public transport is great (and good value) beer is cold(not so cheap!), ....

day 3 is going to be house hunting (between coffee breaks with cake!!)

to to be continued.............

Guest Claire-n-tel
Where did you actually go to sort all these things out? Seems like you have sorted these out easily........you do worry so much how easy it will be to get these things sorted! Sounds like so far so good for you xx

Hi!......don't worry these things are all really easy to sort out, driving license, Ambulance cover and registering with Medicare can all be done at marion shopping centre, then stop off for a coffee, log on to the internet and apply for your tax file number! :cute:

Where did you actually go to sort all these things out? Seems like you have sorted these out easily........you do worry so much how easy it will be to get these things sorted! Sounds like so far so good for you xx

Drivers licence can be done at Marion also. The office is just around the corner from Centrelink. Its a take a number and sit and wait thing. Need a mug shot taken on the day too. You'll need your 100 points of ID for this.

We did the Medicare stuff on a Saturday as the Centrelink office is closed for all other stuff then apart from Medicare. Was so quiet, one or two people waiting and a few working, we only waited 5 minutes.

Guest Guest75
Hi!......don't worry these things are all really easy to sort out, driving license, Ambulance cover and registering with Medicare can all be done at marion shopping centre, then stop off for a coffee, log on to the internet and apply for your tax file number! :cute:

Naughty Claire!! You forgot the driving license!!:tongue::tongue:

Guest Guest75
Drivers licence can be done at Marion also. The office is just around the corner from Centrelink. Its a take a number and sit and wait thing. Need a mug shot taken on the day too. You'll need your 100 points of ID for this.

We did the Medicare stuff on a Saturday as the Centrelink office is closed for all other stuff then apart from Medicare. Was so quiet, one or two people waiting and a few working, we only waited 5 minutes.

If you are OK without the driving license, it's not a rush as you can "convert" it up to 3 months from your arrival.

Just wanted to point out that there are Medicare offices and driving license places all over Adelaide so if you are not staying close to Marion then you don't have to drive all the way there to get these things sorted. If you are close then it's an excellent way to get things done and do a bit of shopping as well.

If you are OK without the driving license, it's not a rush as you can "convert" it up to 3 months from your arrival.

Yes that is true.

Though if you are in the neighbourhood of Marion (or any other office) doing the rest and have the 100 ID points, easy to go get it sorted and out the way early on if you wish :) It would then count toward the ID points for other things so you don't have to keep carting a passport with you. Change of address is easy to do at a later date. I guess if in a temp rental for a few weeks it might perhaps be easier to wait till a longer term address is secured to save the hassle. We had a permanent addy from the off so we never had to worry about this aspect. Buying a house and moving 7 months later was straightforward enough to change address.

Just wanted to point out that there are Medicare offices and driving license places all over Adelaide so if you are not staying close to Marion then you don't have to drive all the way there to get these things sorted. If you are close then it's an excellent way to get things done and do a bit of shopping as well.

Good point :)

Hubby did his DL in the city very early on. I got mine at Marion a bit later. I tend to think of Marion as the one stop shop for all that stuff as they are all so close to each other.

Also, for new arrivals who might need them, the bulk billing GP centre is just across the street so for anyone in the area it is a handy place to go get it all done and check out the medical facilities there. Oh and the SA dental service for kids has a clinic right there also which we found came in handy recently. We do have one down south from us but we are more often around Marion than we are heading south so it worked for us.

Guest Guest75
Yes that is true.

Though if you are in the neighbourhood of Marion (or any other office) doing the rest and have the 100 ID points, easy to go get it sorted and out the way early on if you wish :) It would then count toward the ID points for other things so you don't have to keep carting a passport with you. Change of address is easy to do at a later date. I guess if in a temp rental for a few weeks it might perhaps be easier to wait till a longer term address is secured to save the hassle. We had a permanent addy from the off so we never had to worry about this aspect. Buying a house and moving 7 months later was straightforward enough to change address.

We have had bailiffs knocked upon the doors of our rentals - regarding unpaid speeding fines and other traffic infringements, by guests who registered their driving license at our short term rentals- upsetting for current guests.

So many folk forget to change the address of their license - it is a LEGAL requirement to have you current address on your driving license !!!

Guest Claire-n-tel

:biglaugh:

Hi!......don't worry these things are all really easy to sort out, driving licence, Ambulance cover and registering with Medicare can all be done at marion shopping centre, then stop off for a coffee, log on to the internet and apply for your tax file number! :cute:

Nope.....didn't forget the driving licence.......it was the first thing I mentioned!:biglaugh:

All very useful Thankyou.....this may be a stupid question but what does 100 point ID mean? X

Proof of identify. Although, we have found it depends on what you are applying for. Ie bank account need passport for 100 points. Rentals need much more, and Australian driving licence needed much much more.

We were told you need an Australian drivers licence in.

order to register a car.

Must admit, I got my knickers in a twist sorting some stuff out but we've been here a week....I think I am chilling a little even though we haven't got a rental yet.

If you're looking ahead for a short term let. I would recommend Tyke's house, here in Seaford Rise. ;-)

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Plenty of folk to help and pass on advice. We've been very grateful of the advice.

x

Who said things would be tough! You actually get to talk to a person when making enquiries.!!! Aussie license done, tax code done , Ambo cover done, Medicare sorted all in less than 2hours.. Public transport is great (and good value) beer is cold(not so cheap!), ....

day 3 is going to be house hunting (between coffee breaks with cake!!)

to to be continued.............

Thanks for the update, it is always great to hear how people are getting on.