Starting to wonder. ....What's the point? ??

star123

Hi there, we moved over early 2012 and have had a rough ride but we have hung in there hoping things would get better.....older children returned to the UK as didn't like it....husband in and our of work.....illness....and the all consuming home sickness had taken its toll....approachin our 3rd year here and things slowly settling down....husband in a permanent job....I'm working....we're getting there....tired of renting as moved so many times as landlords decide to sell their house every time we move so we thought we'd buy our own place so been saving saving saving to get that deposit, found a place very cheap and we've managed to get a 5% deposit saved....but even tho we pay rent of over $400 a week the mortgage people say we can't service the loan!!!! We pay rent whigh is double what the mortgage payments would be...am finding it impossible to get a foot in the door here. ..every which way there are hurdles.....they seem to make it very hard here to achieve anything....the sacrifice we have made to be here does not seem worth it at the moment. ....

Did you go to a bank or did you talk to a broker? Remember you will need to be able to pay the stamp duty as well as the price of a house but a good broker should be able to go through with you what you will need to pay and what you might be able to borrow. If you buy a new house you should also be able to get first time home buyer grants. A broker would know more. If you haven't spoken to a broker I can highly recommend Andrew at Vista financial services - he posts on here a fair bit.

My OH hated renting when we first got here. He felt really unsettled and like he couldn't make himself at home. We bought a block of land and built a house and now he is much happier and far more settled. If you are sure you want to stay in Australia (and no shame in deciding you would rather go back to the UK) then trying to put down some roots makes sense. Don't give up just yet. Good luck with it all.

Yes, we're using a broker and his great and we do have all our other costs saved too....it's just as you get near to achieving something you get knocked back again...and again... we feel or more to the point, I feel if we had our own place I'd feel more settled. ..it seems we left a good life in the UK and here its one struggle after another...which then triggers the question..what is the point if your constantly fighting an uphill battle to achieve anything....

Guest Guest75

We have nearly ALL been through this to varying degrees.

It does seem a little unfair regarding mortgages - they ain't picking on you - just the "belt tightening " here.

Coming into summer now so at least that might help lift your spirits.

Glad you are talking about this ,it does help.

I'm no broker, and I'm sure as they'd have mentioned this if they would help but, just in case, might the Affordable Home Scheme be able to help you?

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/housing-property-and-land/buying-and-selling/affordable-houses-to-buy/eligibility-for-affordable-homes

Our first mortgage was with Rams, and even though they are owned by someone else now (Westpack?), they do still seem geared towards people who might not qualify otherwise. It was a great mortgage, btw!

i think NicF made a good point in that if you want to go back, go! There's absolutely no shame in it. Whatever works for you is good. However, if you do feel owning your own home will make a difference, then fingers crossed!

Wishing you everything good,

:wubclub: LC

PS. I agree with Tyke, it's good for you, AND everyone else, to share. It's not always easy, feelings can't be controlled, and moving to a new country can be tough. Even three years on.

Edited by Lazy Cow

Well I think the God's have smiled on us today as our mortgage been conditionally approved!!!! Am soooo happy right now this means a huge deal to us as we can finally put some roots down in a beautiful part of SA

Great news :) I would think having a place of your own here will make a big difference and hopefully give you a fresh outlook.

It's great news. ..have been on this forum a few years and some will remember the rough ride we've had....but we're turning a corner now and we'll keep going and remain focused on why we came here....so when the chips are down just keep going....we could have thrown the towel in long ago but we kept the faith and now we'll have our own little piece of Australia :-)