Kids Returning to the UK

Lazy Cow

Hi all,

My son has decided he'd like to spend some time in the UK. We never renewed his UK passport as we didn't see any point, however I'm wondering whether it would be better for him to have both?

He wants to stay with family, and work, but times being what they are and savings being what they are, I was wondering whether he will be able to access any benefits?

And before you judge lol, his father and I contributed heaps to the UK system but were eligible for bugger-all, so if he should need to claim, I'm hoping he can!

This is all new to me, so I'd be very grateful for any hints you might have. I'm not even sure how much money he'll need, although I'm guessing Google will be my friend for a while....

Thank you,

:wubclub: LC

He should get his UK passport done and enter the UK on that. Else he'll be on his Aus one with a tourist entry then have to sort that out possibly. UK passport renewal isn't expensive now and it's about a 6-8 week wait in off season I think.

He won't have any access to benefits until he can meet the habitually resident criteria which is after 3 months back iirc. He won't be eligible for much I doubt, jobseekers for a while but he'd possibly have to spend money to attend his job interview quota etc to be able to carry on claiming. Tbh chances are he'll pick up a casual or temp job that gives him more.

I'd suggest he approach it like a WHV and have a decent amount of savings (at least a couple of thousand pounds) and seek casual work or seasonal or some such till he finds his feet. Then if he wants to apply for the skilled/permanent better paid stuff he at least has an income coming in and isn't living off his savings. Some people walk jnto jobs, others can be looking for months.

Public transport can cost to get around and although a car can be bought for £200 say, insurance for young people is extortionate. As is fuel. Running a car would eat into savings.

Have a look here it tells you about returning to the uk with regards to benefits etc

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/british_and_irish_citizens_hrt.htm

Thank you, Claire, that is an excellent link. Even I understood it!

I'm happy for him to have an adventure, but I'd like him to slow down and really look at the realities of the move. He doesn't want to live there forever, just until he is ready to come home and join the army. Apparently.

So, as any parent would do, I'm trying to ensure he has an idea of what could go wrong (no job, sounds like high cost of getting around - thanks Snifter! - not using a UK passport etc). Or, if you are an over-eager golden retriever-kind of a kid, 'trying to put him off'!

Thank you all. I appreciate your help.

:wubclub:LC

He will need the UK passport. It is impossible for a UK citizen to get a visa for the UK, which if he uses his aussie passport he'd need one.

I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate - my daughter went back to the UK last year, worked, got an NI number etc etc. She travelled on her Aus passport, intending to renew her expired British one while she was there but never got round to it! Wasn't a problem for her...

I think it is something about even if your British passport is expired, the fact you have one is enough proof.

Hey LC most young people will tell you when they come back it was one of the best things they have done. It can be a challenge, low paid jobs, expensive rents, slave labour, but the other benefits they get such as spontaneous travel to Europe, the people they meet doing the same as them or just who live there. The experience is great for building life skills and learning to make decisions independently. Definitely fork out for the UK passport. My youngest daughter returned this year to start uni after 2 years global gypsying. She now has friends in many continents she can go visit. My older daughter went after uni and has stayed enjoying the benefits of living in London after battling through initial down n out in London life lol( low pay, high rent, extortianate travel costs lol)

He will need the UK passport. It is impossible for a UK citizen to get a visa for the UK, which if he uses his aussie passport he'd need one.

Have the regulations changed since 2008? I went back for a couple of months and used my Aussie passport to both enter and leave Heathrow. It was stamped "no recourse to public funds" and allowed me entry for six months however as I am also a UK citizen it was all a moot point as I could have legitimately done whatever I wanted work-wise.

Don't think a UK citizen needs a visa. Just rock up and you're in.

You have to be able to show you are a UK citizen, wether that be with an expired passport etc. I don't believe it has changed.

I agree with you there. My understanding is if you travel to the UK with only an Aus passport, you'll be clocked in as an Aus tourist. You need to be able to show your UK passport, current or expired to show right of entry etc without needing the tourist visa or anything else.

Thank you, Claire, that is an excellent link. Even I understood it!

I'm happy for him to have an adventure, but I'd like him to slow down and really look at the realities of the move. He doesn't want to live there forever, just until he is ready to come home and join the army. Apparently.

So, as any parent would do, I'm trying to ensure he has an idea of what could go wrong (no job, sounds like high cost of getting around - thanks Snifter! - not using a UK passport etc). Or, if you are an over-eager golden retriever-kind of a kid, 'trying to put him off'!

Thank you all. I appreciate your help.

:wubclub:LC

Another thing with the UK passport is its EU entry and rights that go with it should he want to go travel/work in Europe somewhere for a bit. Much easier on a UK passport. And I think its pretty much the same price to apply from overseas now as it is from the UK. Just get it sorted well in advance.

I think he would have a great time, its cheap enough to live food wise, NHS etc is there and once he has a NI and is working things should be fine. Its just the getting work. Depending on his age, the minimum wage is pretty rubbish so he may find he is earning less than somone a few years older doing the same job. If he can stay with family for a bit its a weight off, but he may well want to go elsewhere in the UK and then is looking at youth hostels or renting a room.

National Express coaches are cheap enough if you book well in advance to travel longer distances but otherwise, even they can add up (and its slow going compared to train or flying from say London to Edinburgh. There is the car share thing running still IIRC so he could always work out lifts between cities and chip in for fuel costs.

I agree with you there. My understanding is if you travel to the UK with only an Aus passport, you'll be clocked in as an Aus tourist. You need to be able to show your UK passport, current or expired to show right of entry etc without needing the tourist visa or anything else.

Yes but if you are a UK citizen it's irrelevant whether you enter the UK on an Aussie passport or an EU one. You're still a citizen so there are no restrictions on work. Also I didn't have a visa - just went through the non-EU immigration channel at LHR and that was that. Quick stamp in the passport and I was away.

Agree with Sidestep - also take copies of birth certificate and anything showing residency /citizenship.

I don't think anyone is disputing that aspect.

Just having a UK passport and entering on it will mean the need for a BC etc and proving citizenship rights etc is not needed once in the UK. Also means he won't be on his Aus passport as a tourist (even though a UK citizen).

I have always understood that if entering or departing a country you hold a passport for you should show it, even if expired. So depart Aus on Aus one, enter and depart UK on UK one, (while carrying both).

Guest Guest75
I don't think anyone is disputing that aspect.

Just having a UK passport and entering on it will mean the need for a BC etc and proving citizenship rights etc is not needed once in the UK. Also means he won't be on his Aus passport as a tourist (even though a UK citizen).

I have always understood that if entering or departing a country you hold a passport for you should show it, even if expired. So depart Aus on Aus one, enter and depart UK on UK one, (while carrying both).

I was just saying I agreed with Sidestep and adding some tips for the OP- not disputing anything!:cute::cute:

Friends 19 year old daughter has basically done this within the last few weeks ...... went back for a holiday and decided to stay. Entered on Aussie passport, got a job, now finding her feet there. Just had to reactivate her NI humber to get a job ..... couple of places wouldn't interview without it.

Friend ......... LORLUC ........ should be posting more details for you later tonight.

Friends 19 year old daughter has basically done this within the last few weeks ...... went back for a holiday and decided to stay. Entered on Aussie passport, got a job, now finding her feet there. Just had to reactivate her NI humber to get a job ..... couple of places wouldn't interview without it.

Friend ......... LORLUC ........ should be posting more details for you later tonight.

Hi, happy to help out on this one! As wizzywozza said, recent experience for us! i've read some of the replies and it must be really confusing for you as you are getting alot of conflicting answers. I can only tell you from my experience which is as recent as you are gonna get!!!

My daughter and I were on holiday in the Uk in October and had entered the UK on australian passports. When she started to make her feelings known that she would like to stay there, I contacted immigration/border control who informed me that it did not matter at all that she had entered on an aussie passport....she was born in the UK and even though her British passport had expired (and this was still her child one) she was entitled to stay in the UK and live and work. She did not require a visa even though she had entered the country on an australian passport.

Yes you do need to have an NI number......We called the NI helpline....gave her name and as we had claimed child benefit in the UK till she was 10, she was on their system. All they had to do was reactivate her as being back in the UK and the NI number would be sent. It does take a while and after a month she still hasnt got it...main reason is the british gov can be incompetent like anywhere else and didnt send it when they said they were....so she is still waiting for it.. Yes couple of jobs wouldnt interview here without it...but others did. She has secured herself a permanent full time position as the place she is working know she is british. Her expired child passport and birth certificate are proof enough she is british and entitled to work and live in the UK. Since being there she has renewed her british passport which took less than 2 weeks to come through.

She lives in a shared house in the town where she works. No need for a car as she is lucky to have got a job 10 minutes walk from her front door. Public transport is good though in the area she is living.

She has moved back to our old home town, Newport Pagnell and has been reunited with so many of her old school friends from her primary days.

When she dropped the bombshell half through our holiday that she wanted to stay, well as many of you can imagine, it was pretty hard to get my head around. But at 19 she has to do things for herself now. I brought her to Australia at the age of 10, and she has had pretty much all her teen years here, and really wanted to experience whats left of them and some early adult life in the UK. But hey that was what we always wanted for our kids....the choice! Dual citizenship allowing them to be where they want...Australia or the UK.

Yes my flight home on my own was pretty emotional and of course I miss her badly, but I wouldnt have it any other way now....Its an experience of a lifetime for her....Having left a school a year ago and not really sure what she wants to do, hopefully how ever long she is over there will help her to make some decisions.

Yes its tough financially...be prepared to have to support them. Fortunately while she was on leave she didnt touch 4 weeks annual leave pay so that pretty much paid for her first months rent and deposit...but i have had to support her until she gets paid...which is this week!!! Woo!!!

Hope this has helped.

Edited by lorluc

Thanks, Lorluc!

Nothing beats recent experience, so it was particularly good to read your, and Diane's, comments. :notworthy: Your daughter seems to have done brilliantly, Lorluc, to get so settled so quickly.

I guessed my thread might throw up stuff which, once said, would make perfect sense, but which I simply wouldn't think of! Tbh, I hadn't even considered he should take copies of his birth certificate, and I'd totally forgotten about NI numbers.

Thank you all for pointing out that he could use his expired UK passport. I didn't realise it was good for anything other than as a memory, but that will save some time and money!

Snifter and Rachiegarlo; thank you so much for highlighting what a great experience it could be for him. I believe I have become a helicopter-parent since they've grown up. After spending all those years trying to make them independent too!

I hope he goes. No, I don't. Yes, I DO! :wideeyed:

Thanks again,

LC