7 Months in Adelaide-PART 2

Guest Mrs NPB

Guest Mrs NPB

PART 2 - As post was too long!!!!!

The frustrations of life here in Adelaide are relatively simple, we find the customer service here is virtually non existent and as for trying to get jobs done on the house it is so hard to find anyone who does the whole job. Most jobs involve many people and not just one company who do the whole job as you would be used to in the UK. (I hope this isn’t too confusing!!!)

Shopping here is shopping and I personally find it a chore in just the same way as I did in the UK. We have found no problems with the supermarkets here as we have simply shopped for alternatives instead of looking for what we had in the UK. I find the staff in the shops very courteous and the quality of food is generally very good. We spend an average of $225 per week on groceries which for us, if converting

$2 to £1 is the same as we would have spent in Waitrose every week. As mentioned before I personally like the fact that Blackwood has every possible shop conceivable for OUR needs, now it may not suit everyone but it does suit our needs. We of course sometimes go to Burnside Village, Marion etc and those are good alternatives for larger items but for day to day things Blackwood fits the bill.

Well, 7 months on and so very much has happened it really has been a very exciting adventure. I remember some friends asking John & I why we wanted to leave the comfortable life we had in the UK and emigrate to Australia. At the time it was very hard to explain our reasons as we were not living here, now we are living here it is not hard, Australia has enriched our already wonderful lives and is giving us the opportunity to live in this (as the girls say) Awesome country. Yes, we have made sacrifices…are the sacrifices worth it?….so far yes, but long term who knows. All I know is that for now we have made the choice to emigrate because ‘we could’ and we are very fortunate that we were in a position to try something new. Would we change it, NO, would we ever return to the UK? Who Knows…. we will never say never but for now we are enjoying this wonderful change of lifestyle and we feel very blessed to have taken this opportunity and embraced every moment of it GOOD & BAD.

I hope that those of you who are thinking of emigration and those of you who are on the way will after reading my post, feel positive things rather than negativity from our experiences but please remember that these are my families experiences and no two families will have the same experiences, requirements, needs, funds etc etc.

I very rarely post on PIA and only come onto PIA very occasionally, however I have found this site useful and have had the pleasure of meeting some lovely people.

Thank you to the moderators of PIA who do such a super job keeping this site going.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my families experiences so far and here’s to many more happy years in Adelaide.

Nuala, John, Franchesca & Olivia

Guest weesp

Hi, I am so pleased you are enjoying life in Adelaide, it was all worth it then! We are coming on 10th June and have very good days and then bad days. I must say, after reading you post, I am confident again, thank you. I am now looking forward to my adventure again!

Lynn

Guest Trakki

Thankyou for an open and honest post, a really interesting read. Glad you are enjoying life and have settled so well and that your children have settled.

Thankyou

Guest jill wright

Wonderful to read this post espeicially as we too are hoping to go on SIR visa and have been feeling quite negative about it lately. Posts like these seem to come just at the right time giving us a boost although I do take on board the fact each families experience will be very different from the next depending on many factors. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience yousound to have had a very 'full' 7 months and seem to have done really well in what is a relatively short time. As I say we are very much in two minds as whether to carry on with our plans at the moment but to soin a phrase you've used a couple of times we are in a position where we 'can' which makes it hard to give up on a great oppurtunity. Hope everything goes well take care

Jillx

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi Npb, A good read , a lot of us are feeling down in the dumps , with house selling ect ?, so a nice pick me up cheers ATB Paul.

Hi Nuala,

What a brilliant post, very honest and well written. I enjoyed reading it and can relate to a lot of what you've said.

Here's hoping that life in Adelaide will continue to delight/surprise/frustrate us!

Karen

PS I was looking forward to catching up on Saturday, but now can't make it. Maybe have to meet up one Saturday for a coffee.

Guest Guest75

Thanks for the greats posts Nuala.

Of lot of people intending to come over will take on board your wise words and experiences.

Best wishes for the future :):)

Guest macu68

Lovely post again, thanks for breaking into 2 parts. You sound as though you have approached your migration as an opportunity with no preconceived ideas of how it should or could be and took everything on the chin as it has happened. This will have made the life changing events so much easier for your children to accept openly.

Thankyou for taking the time to tell us your experiences.

Guest The Pottertons

Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this!! It really helps and youve described Adelaide very realistically! I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you. Keep us posted though- we'll be expecting your 1 year post!!!!!!!!!!! Yvonne xxx

Part 2 ....another honest post from you Nuala. Its great to share highs/lows/good/bad opinions, thats what a forum is all about. Sharing......good luck & cheers to another few years down under.

Take care & once again behave at the Barossa !!

Angela x

Guest paul_smart

Lovelly post, it's actually really useful to read about others experiences, good and bad I think that what you have is what all of us are after, your right we are all different and the experience will be differnt for each of us, i'm not married and have no kids, and will be bringing very little money, but without the worries of children, maybe it will be easier, maybe not, either way we all have to follow our hearts and see what our destinies hold.

Thanks for the post!!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Nuala

Nice one - see you saturday. Thanks for sharing, you should do it more often!

Don't forget Keith's a chippie if you are looking for a tradie - not sure what work you are doing....

Lots of love

Sas

xxx

Nuala

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences of life so far. I found your post to be very heartening and positive, always nice to read after a bout of recent homesickness. Luckily I am now feeling much better thanks to some new friends who have been there and have offered support. We too are fairly new to life here and are looking forward to a time when we feel settled and are able to fully call Adelaide home. But for now we are taking each day as it comes and are really enjoying our change in lifestyle which for us is huge...

I hope you continue to thrive here and look forward to hearing more news from you when you get the chance.

thanks

Dette :)

• 1 year later...

Dear Mrs. NPB,

I also got 475 visa and intendted to come to adelaide in next few months. just wanted to know from you that what are the requirments of being lecturer in Tafe colleges. I am already teaching in university here in my country. is there any licence or registration for being lecturer in Tafe SA ? how do they advertise jobs, please let me know any other thing which may help me in getting teaching job in South Australia