Arrived and loving it

Pmckin14

Ok so we have been in Adelaide just over 2 weeks so thought it was about time I give an update as I know how much I enjoyed reading arrival stories.

So we flew from Dublin to Brisbane on the 3rd Jan via Dubai with emirates, the flight was fine a bit of delay due to weather but nothing too major, great service. Arriving at the airport we made sure to go through the que to get our passport stamped, glad we did as we’ve needed this a couple of times. Didn’t need any paperwork or anything just showed our passports, very quick and easy

We stayed with my uncle for 2 weeks in Brisbane, so we were able to pick up bank cards ( arranged prior to arrival with NAB), get sim cards and apply for our tax numbers up there, all very straight forward. Spent the rest of the 2 weeks catching up with family, applied for a few jobs but didn’t concentrate on it too much.

I got a phone call to offer me a temporary position in Adelaide starting on the morning of the 19th however we didn’t land until the evening so unfortunately they couldn’t wait as they required someone urgently but this meant we were able to spend the first week house hunting.

We had a hire car for a week, but we bought a car on the Thursday as my partner needs a car for work. My partner sat his white card on the Friday had booked this prior to arrival so was ready to start work; however the shipping company on this side have been awful. We had pre-arranged to collect his tools before the rest of the shipping but they were a nightmare to get hold off and just ignored calls & emails so we didn’t get his tools until Wednesday past. He started work on the Thursday however, so been great to get one of us started as we can live comfortably on his wage until I secure something.

We applied for a couple of houses, offered six months’ rent and 8 days after arrival got offered a house 15mins from the city that we both liked and allowed dogs. We move in tomorrow so we are really excited to get our own home and things will start to feel a bit less like a holiday. Unfortunately are shipping isn’t arriving until next week so might be a few nights on a blow up bed. Thankfully the lovely Claire & Tel have gave us the pay it forward kit for a week or so, so this will help us sooo much, it’s great.

Also, we are LOVING Adelaide, it wasn’t our first choice as we have family in Brisbane but needed the state sponsorship but we’ve both surprised ourselves that we much prefer it down here, so far anyway it’s still early days. Just hoping I get a job soon but not worrying too much yet its only been 2 weeks.

Paula & Charlie

Good to read :) And lovely that you are enjoying Adelaide so far. I do like it in and around the city, some lovely suburbs. I always loved when my hubby lived in the CBD and how close we were to everything the city had to offer. We used to shop daily at the Central market, eat out often, go for wanders round the parklands and botanic gardens and just embraced the city living Adelaide has to offer.

A decade on and 8 years of that spent in the UK we have embraced living in the foothills but both hubby and I still talk about how much we like city living in Adelaide.

Enjoy the unpacking, its like Christmas all over seeing things you've forgotten even exisited. And good luck with the job hunting.

THANKS EVERYONE :-)

Yeh snifter there is so much to do in the city, we havent even scratched the surface, looking forward to exploring the rest of what south australia has to offer but plenty of time :-)

Thanks Dan we're in Ascot Park (just south of the city) would love to meet up for a beer, our next mission is making friends lol. Were pretty busy the next couple of weekends but will give you a pm in a couple of weeks see if your free to meet.