Summers here

Guest vikkiann

Yup, the heat is here for sure :) We hit the beach earlier in the morning, last weekend down there by about 9am, tomorrow about the same, home around 11-midday then. Its lovely having a morning dip in warm water. Glenelg had handball games on last weekend which must have been hot going for them in the midday sun :unsure: Even worse today if they are playing.

My son loves the Slip Slap Slop song, he sings a longer version Slip, slap, slop, seek, slide. Tells me that is what they sing at school. Seek shade and slide on sunnies I think it means.

For those in the UK or elsewhere still, the song with short vid is on this page

http://www.cancersa.org.au/cut-my-risk/sunsmart-for-primary-schools/teaching-resources-for-primary-schools

Or the direct link to you tube vid as can't embed it atm for some reason

Thankfully night times are still a fair bit cooler. My partner has put a roast in the oven and our air con has stopped working lol.

:eek: at a roast lol. I just about managed to cobble together a cold wrap for lunch, the thought of cooking anything unless its hubby standing at the BBQ cooking it, no way, not for me today :cute:

I am living on Zoopers (we have 2 packs of 48 in the cupboard) and air con this afternoon. Oh and Arnotts mint slice are stashed in the fridge for emergency chocolate fix.

We've just got back from the outdoor pool at Norwood. I much prefer the pool on a really hot day as there is plenty of shade and no burning sand to navigate. And it's only 5 minutes away, unlike the beach that is much further for us.

@Blossom the forecast is for an overnight low of 27 tonight so could be a hot one without aircon. Hope you all manage to keep cool ok.

It will start working again by about 9/10pm. It's old and doesn't like the heat. Once the sun is off it and it's had a chance to cool down a bit we'll be good. :-)

Hi Blossom,

What type of aircon is it?

The swampies (evaporated systems) don't really handle this type of heat.

I had a reverse cycle ducted aircon installed that cost $8000. It also didn't like hot weather and used to trip out on really hot days. Turned out that the circuit breaker that they installed with the system was too small...simple problem and easy to fix. Just a thought?

Hi Blossom,

What type of aircon is it?

The swampies (evaporated systems) don't really handle this type of heat.

I had a reverse cycle ducted aircon installed that cost $8000. It also didn't like hot weather and used to trip out on really hot days. Turned out that the circuit breaker that they installed with the system was too small...simple problem and easy to fix. Just a thought?

It's reverse cycle. An engineer last year said 'it's just old'.

One a few weeks ago said the current is running too high and over heating it too soon. Needs replacing. Funnily we've not heard anything from the agent since then. I don't think we'll stay in this house another year.

It's reverse cycle. An engineer last year said 'it's just old'.

One a few weeks ago said the current is running too high and over heating it too soon. Needs replacing. Funnily we've not heard anything from the agent since then. I don't think we'll stay in this house another year.

My new system was pulling too much current during really hot weather but it was the circuit breaker that was too small.

I am shocked.

You should be raising hell!

Are you paying rent for a home that has a faulty aircon and the owner isn't replacing it.. and you have a baby...in this heat???!!!

My new system was pulling too much current during really hot weather but it was the circuit breaker that was too small.

I am shocked.

You should be raising hell!

Are you paying rent for a home that has a faulty aircon and the owner isn't replacing it.. and you have a baby...in this heat???!!!

Yes, but if I insist on a new one (which they've been told is the only way) then my rent is likely to go up. And by the time they get it done we won't need it anyway. We only use it on days like the last two (and then not for long really). We have decided to move when the lease is up anyway.

It's actually started working early today so all good. Me and baby had a nice cool bath (she loves baths) and she's been doing angel impressions in a wet muslin. :-)

My partner suffers far more than we do. Poor baby was shivering when we got out the bath because he was convinced she would be hot and not want a towel wrapped around her.

Yes, but if I insist on a new one (which they've been told is the only way) then my rent is likely to go up. And by the time they get it done we won't need it anyway. We only use it on days like the last two (and then not for long really). We have decided to move when the lease is up anyway.

It's actually started working early today so all good. Me and baby had a nice cool bath (she loves baths) and she's been doing angel impressions in a wet muslin. :-)

My partner suffers far more than we do. Poor baby was shivering when we got out the bath because he was convinced she would be hot and not want a towel wrapped around her.

I'm sorry Blossom but I don't see how they can put up your rent for replacing something that should be working as part of your lease agreement.

I rent out houses and try to fix things straight away.

I have a shed full of stuff...irons, kettles. toasters, a spare fridge, washing machine etc. Sometimes it's not possible to fix things straight away. A truck took out the telephone cables and knocked out the internet for 2 weeks whilst Telstra took their time to fix it. I saw it as my responsibility, my obligation to provide dongles as my guests had paid for internet.

I would expect that the services in the property are up to standard and that you are getting what you are paying for.

I'm sorry Blossom but I don't see how they can put up your rent for replacing something that should be working as part of your lease agreement.

I rent out houses and try to fix things straight away.

I have a shed full of stuff...irons, kettles. toasters, a spare fridge, washing machine etc. Sometimes it's not possible to fix things straight away. A truck took out the telephone cables and knocked out the internet for 2 weeks whilst Telstra took their time to fix it. I saw it as my responsibility, my obligation to provide dongles as my guests had paid for internet.

I would expect that the services in the property are up to standard and that you are getting what you are paying for.

Legally they can put the rent up every six months. On my last house they had to do something big, my rebt went up. They have to cover the cost somehow. It doesn't help when the first company they got out said that's just the way it is when it's hot.

Unfortunetly at this time of year they can't get air con fixed straight away even if they want to. I've tried companies myself. My partners mum has just had hers fixed (she owns) and that took a few weeks too. In a few weeks we won't need it. This is only the second block of weather since my baby was born (so 3.5 months ago) that we really could have done with a better working system. It's working right now though, so yay.

We put our tenants rent up only by a few dollars a year..when the lease is due for renewal...regardless of the cost of repairs. Good tenants to landlords are worth their weight in gold.

Guest Guest75

That is absolute bull poo!! a landlord cannot legally or even flipping morally put up your rent to replace something that should already be in place!!

He/she/it is micturating up your leg!!

That is absolute bull poo!! a landlord cannot legally or even flipping morally put up your rent to replace something that should already be in place!!

He/she/it is micturating up your leg!!

On having a read up it seems the laws have changed, so that they can't do it within a fixed tenancy.

Approx 5 years ago they certainly could as long as they hadn't put your rent up within the 6 months before. I had an agent firstly put it up just after renewal time. I contacted the tribunal who said they could as long as it hadn't gone up in 6 months before. Which i found on the Internet then too.

Then they tried to put it up after having to spend a fair bit on the house two months after. That time I had to get the law pointed out to them as they seemed to think they could change it whenever they liked.

That's great news that the law has caught up with common sense. It did always seem crazy to me that you have a contract with xx dollars on and that could just be changed when they felt like it, but you'd struggle to move out if you didn't like it.