Drive on beaches.....

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Guest Guest75

I don't want any more drive on beaches!!

Down South they just add to the charm.

We have many interstate visitors who just love the south for the Mclaren Vale wine region as they are cottoning on that the Barossa is over advertised / hyped - and they love the fact that the lovely drive on beaches are just minutes away!

I don't want any more drive on beaches!!

Down South they just add to the charm.

We have many interstate visitors who just love the south for the Mclaren Vale wine region as they are cottoning on that the Barossa is over advertised / hyped - and they love the fact that the lovely drive on beaches are just minutes away!

Hi, which beaches can be driven on currently?

Why would you want to drive on to a beach? I don't understand that. And why would you wan to be on a beach full of cars? Most beaches have car parks right by the beach front so it's not like you have to go far to get to the sand anyway.

I can understand the need to drive on certain beaches for access for surf spots or angling....but...I personally don't like the drive on beaches. We have local ones and on the few occasions that I have used them I am neurotic looking out for the small children with vehicles driving past them just a few metres away. I can't relax for a moment.

Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Yeah, part of Moana is drive on, the left side from the Deep Blue if you are looking out to sea. We haven't made use of the drive on beaches but I can see the attraction if you are setting up for the day. We took a trip down Goolwa way to see the barrage (lots of seals hang out on it) and took a walk on to the beaches of the coorong - heaps of 4x4s driving up and down just for the fun of driving on the sand - kinda spolit it for us.

On another point, Sellicks and Aldinga beaches are $6 to drive on during the summer IF the temp is between 26 - 38. Although this is charged under Onkaparinga Council, all the money goes to the local community groups who give up their time to collect the fees. Treat them with respect and just pay please :)

Why would you want to drive on to a beach? I don't understand that. And why would you wan to be on a beach full of cars? Most beaches have car parks right by the beach front so it's not like you have to go far to get to the sand anyway.

I'm not really a beach fan, but if we decide to go with our little one it will be to a drive on one, on a quiet day. We have a 4wd van, with an awning so we can have a nice big area with shade for bubba. And a fridge in the car for nice cool drinks.

I don't have to worry about carrying a nappy bag, beach tent, drinks, snacks, towels, baby... All far enough down the beach that we have a little privacy.

Goolwa wa beach has been better for privacy when we have been there. Silver sands can be uncomfortably packed.

Guest vikkiann
Yeah, part of Moana is drive on, the left side from the Deep Blue if you are looking out to sea. We haven't made use of the drive on beaches but I can see the attraction if you are setting up for the day. We took a trip down Goolwa way to see the barrage (lots of seals hang out on it) and took a walk on to the beaches of the coorong - heaps of 4x4s driving up and down just for the fun of driving on the sand - kinda spolit it for us.

On another point, Sellicks and Aldinga beaches are $6 to drive on during the summer IF the temp is between 26 - 38. Although this is charged under Onkaparinga Council, all the money goes to the local community groups who give up their time to collect the fees. Treat them with respect and just pay please :)

I've done beach ramp for both scouts and netball. We get one third of the profits. A few weeks ago I was on Sellicks beach for 7 hours, it was a 37 degree day and we made $200. The abuse I got from locals was unbelievable!

If you live in Onkaparinga, you just need to go to the council with your driving licence and get a beach pass.

If you live in the Onkaparinga area it is free..you just need to nip down the council and show your drivers id and you can get a season ticket.

Another bonus to living in the south!

Guest Guest75

Just be careful on Moana Beach. The drive on section can be pretty soft at times and I've towed countless vehicles out.

If all you see are four wheel drives on the day it may not be wise to go on in 2 wheel drive.

I can understand the need to drive on certain beaches for access for surf spots or angling....but...I personally don't like the drive on beaches. We have local ones and on the few occasions that I have used them I am neurotic looking out for the small children with vehicles driving past them just a few metres away. I can't relax for a moment.

Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

I do - we went on the beach at Robe a few years ago, the kids were having a surfing lesson, cars were driving up and down all the time, it wasn't relaxing at all. With small kids it would be a nightmare!

I've done beach ramp for both scouts and netball. We get one third of the profits. A few weeks ago I was on Sellicks beach for 7 hours, it was a 37 degree day and we made $200. The abuse I got from locals was unbelievable!

If you live in Onkaparinga, you just need to go to the council with your driving licence and get a beach pass.

Good point with the pass and yes, I've done the same. Most people were fine with it though I had a few rude ones, amazing attitude of some folk - $6 to drive on fantastic beaches in the sunshine - first world problems. I am surprised it's only a third that goes to the community group though - I'll ask the scout leader that, I was under the impression it was the full amount.

Guest vikkiann
Good point with the pass and yes, I've done the same. Most people were fine with it though I had a few rude ones, amazing attitude of some folk - $6 to drive on fantastic beaches in the sunshine - first world problems. I am surprised it's only a third that goes to the community group though - I'll ask the scout leader that, I was under the impression it was the full amount.

We wouldn't need to do any other fundraising for the year if it was the full amount .

Do you go to aldinga bay scout group?

We wouldn't need to do any other fundraising for the year if it was the full amount ?.

Do you go to aldinga bay scout group?

Yes I do, well, my lad does - but I don't mind helping out, they are a good bunch. I did a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago at Aldinga, that was a 37 degree day too and the night before was my leaving do from work so had had a bit of a night out......I went to be at 7:30 that evening! It's a full on job when you are talking 400+ cars in 3 hours.

I must know you then, I do loads of their fundraising and have 3 kids there

Oh cool! I was down at Port Noarlunga tonight with the rowing - I stayed to watch, lovely evening down on the river. I look nerdy according to my children (love them) - glasses, English accent (obviously), so come and say hi - I usually am the one that drops him down.

Edited by zebedee

I do - we went on the beach at Robe a few years ago, the kids were having a surfing lesson, cars were driving up and down all the time, it wasn't relaxing at all. With small kids it would be a nightmare!

Its Moana beach that is treaturous for small kids. You have a line of cars which are parked, two lanes of traffic and then kids playing in the surf. Avoid the place with the young ones.

Do you have kids? do they love walking a long way?

I dnt enjoy having to make heaps of trips to and from the car to carry Gazebo, chairs, esky, kids toys, body boards just load up the car and away you go.

HG