Largs & Largs North

Julia Skinner

We live in North Haven which is quite close to both suburbs. I imagine, like most places they suffer with crime, but in all, both are lovely places to live. Beach is gorgeous, not too far away at all, and they have a good mix of schools....main state school is Ocean View College, Le Fevre High School not too far away either, another state school, which both my boys attended, and loved it! For shopping...North Haven has a small shopping parade, which is fine for everyday things, and Semaphore Road is close by too, which has a good mix of shops and restaurants. We've lived in the area for 4 years, and wouldn't move...people very friendly and a lovely place to be.

Semaphore I think is lovely: Quirky, arty, and seems to have a real community feel - traditionally that north west corner has in the past had perhaps a lower socio-economic profile than some, and I've heard mixed opinions about the schools, but for me, that makes the people more genuine.

Semaphore I think is lovely: Quirky, arty, and seems to have a real community feel - traditionally that north west corner has in the past had perhaps a lower socio-economic profile than some, and I've heard mixed opinions about the schools, but for me, that makes the people more genuine.

Oh just one other thing, I have heard that people who suffer from asthma struggle living in that area and depending on wind direction, there can be a bit of pollution from the cement (?) factory up that way.

Oh just one other thing, I have heard that people who suffer from asthma struggle living in that area and depending on wind direction, there can be a bit of pollution from the cement (?) factory up that way.

Yep it's a cement factory - when we went on one of those dolphin boat trips it was one of the "sights"

Yep it's a cement factory - when we went on one of those dolphin boat trips it was one of the "sights"

LOL I have always wondered why the dolphins, given the choice of so many stunning places to live in and around South Australia, chose to settle in the Port River! I guess though there are dolphins that like unspoilt natural views, and dolphins that like something a little more industrial, in the same way that there are city people and country people....

There was a member on here the other day asking about hairdressers in that general kind of area, they might be able to provide a bit more feedback. I'll go see if I can find the name and post back.

Found it. @Nikianx73. I'm not sure how often she comes on here but you could try sending a PM

Edited by NicF

LOL I have always wondered why the dolphins, given the choice of so many stunning places to live in and around South Australia, chose to settle in the Port River! I guess though there are dolphins that like unspoilt natural views, and dolphins that like something a little more industrial, in the same way that there are city people and country people....

I always wonder the same! We are guaranteed seeing them if we go fishing that way. The water does seem a bit warmer, probably from the factories, so maybe that's why?

Interesting about the astma.

It is a good place to be, as has already been said semaphore road is good and lively, there are also a few shops and a cafe/restaurant on jetty road at largs bay which is good, we have 3 children at Le Fevre and they are all doing really well.

Also the old police academy site on Strathfield terrace is going to be redeveloped so that can only be good for the area.

On the asthma thing, 2 of our children had mild asthma in the uk, but since being here one no longer needs to carry an inhaler and the other although keeps it on her hasn't used it for a couple of years.

There was a member on here the other day asking about hairdressers in that general kind of area, they might be able to provide a bit more feedback. I'll go see if I can find the name and post back.

Found it. @Nikianx73. I'm not sure how often she comes on here but you could try sending a PM

Hi, it's me. Tbh, because we're in Largs Bay the factory doesn't really bother us apart from a bit of dust on the car. From the articles I've read the main problems seem to be in the Birkenhead area. My son is mildly asthmatic and he's not needed his inhalers for months. Try not to let the industrial area put you off too much as it's a nice, quiet, safe area and we'll worth a look ;) xx

You'll have to forgive my double posting. My laptop has packed up and I'm using my phone - with a smashed screen so I'm finding a bit tricky reading all the posts on here lol! In a nutshell, Largs is lovely. I've got no complaints with the school, both of mine are at Largs Bay Primary. The beaches are lovely and there are some lovely places to eat between here and Semaphore and I've never not felt safe which is important to me as my husband works in Moomba. Please feel free to pm me if you want to :) x