How big is Australia

Ktee

A lot of people don't realise how large Australia is and think you can get from Perth to Melbourne in a couple of hours. So I've attached two maps, one showing Australia over laid with Europe, I'm sure most will have seen something like this before and the other is over America.

image.jpg

image.jpg

When we look at population density Australia has around 2.7 people per sq km

I don't think people really comprehend the distances involved here in Australia, partly because there are really only several main cities that people are aware of. My eldest son yesterday found out his best friend in the UK is off to Naples in Italy with school and he made a comment about how far it is. When we looked it up it's only about 200km further than going from Adelaide to Brisbane.

I need to show this to my mum, she started worrying about us coming over as there had been cyclones on Gold Coast and Darwin. She told me I needed to have a cellar/shelter just in case!! Honestly, she doesn't realise just how far away that is from Adelaide. Who knows an equivalent distance from Adelaide to say Darwin or Gold Coast compared to Edinburgh to somewhere in Europe? I need to put it into perspective for her.