Across Australia the following has been listed
In a media release Hays director Nick Deligiannis says hiring in many sectors is back to pre-GFC levels leaving many employers “bracing for a skills shortage”.
He says both part time and full time hiring has increased.
Deligiannis says the skills most in demand include:
• Accountancy & Finance: Business Analysts, Financial Accountants, Management Accountants, Commercial Analysts and Change and Project Managers are in high demand. Bookkeepers and Accounts Payable candidates are needed to cope with GFC backlogs. Accounting firms will continue to seek experienced Accountants across business services, tax and audit. Larger firms will be active in graduate recruitment.
• Architecture: There is a push to secure candidates with Revit software knowledge. Business Developers, Health Planners and Senior Healthcare Architects are sought.
• Banking: Mobile lending candidates are needed as banks and non-banking institutions attempt to capture a tough mortgage market. Credit-focused Analysts, Stockbrokers and Dealers Assistants, Relationship Managers, Business Development Managers, Financial Planners in retail and Paraplanners in the non-retail space are needed.
• Construction: Contract Administrators and Estimators are the key hotspots of demand. Also in demand are Building Supervisors due to increased demand for housing, Contract Managers as businesses get new projects ready and Project Managers for building and civil construction.
• Contact Centres: Frontline customer service candidates and Telesales candidates are sought by employers in most industries.
• Education: Demand remains high for Diploma qualified Early Childhood candidates and Early Childhood Teachers. Demand also exists for qualified Secondary Teachers in mathematics, science, languages and design and technology.
• Energy: Transmission and Distribution candidates, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, Design Managers, Construction Managers and Reliability Managers are all needed.
• Engineering: Civil Engineers for road and highway projects are a prime hotspot of demand. Consultancies are also seeking Senior Engineers and Principals with business development skills. Mid to senior Electrical Engineers and building services professionals with a focus on sustainability in addition to their main discipline are also sought.
• Facilities Management: Facilities professionals with a trade or engineering qualification are in high demand. Facilities Managers, Drafters and Engineers with HVAC and mechanical services experience are also sought.
• Healthcare: Enrolled and Registered Nurses, ICU specialists, emergency department Nurses and Midwives are in demand. Within allied health, there is ongoing demand for Nurses in the aged care sector and in mental health. Sonographers, Radiographers, Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists are also in demand.
• Human Resources: Executive Learning & Development candidates and Culture and Leadership candidates are sought, while Generalists are needed as confidence returns. OHS specialists are needed to harmonise existing policies and drive performance.
• Information Technology: Business Analysts, Project Managers, Solutions Architects and Network Engineers are sought. Microsoft technologies remain popular and ASP.NET is on the rise. Demand for Helpdesk and Desktop candidates is growing.
• Insurance: Commercial Brokers, Underwriters, life insurance sales professionals, Claims candidates, Liability Loss Adjusters and Account Executives are all needed.
• Legal: For in-house positions, banking and finance lawyers with top-tier experience are in high demand. Within private practice, commercial and corporate lawyers are wanted, while litigation, contentious insolvency and insurance areas remain very busy.
• Logistics: A general increase in freight volumes has seen demand rise at the operator to mid-management level across transport, warehousing, supply chain and international trade sectors. Fleet Controllers, Warehouse Supervisors and Inventory Planners/Replenishment Coordinators are also needed.
• Manufacturing & Operations: As manufacturing ramps up, Middle Management and Engineering candidates are needed. Demand is also very high for Technical Engineers, Electronics Engineers and Project Managers.
• Office Support: Experienced Administrators are in high demand in departments that are becoming increasingly busier and are growing. Corporate Receptionists, Personal Assistants and entry-level candidates with one year of experience are also sought.
• Oil & Gas: Demand exists for Geoscience candidates, Project Managers, Business Development Managers, Engineers of all disciplines, Petroleum Engineers and Development Geologists.
• Pharma: Clinical Research Associates across all levels, from CRA I to Senior CRA, are in demand. There has also been an increased demand for professionals within Health Economics/Health Outcomes and for Medical Advisors.
• Policy & Strategy: Skilled Policy Officers as well as Secretariat and Program Officers continue to be in demand. In the not-for-profit sector, Project Managers with professional qualifications are required.
• Procurement: Indirect Category specialists are in high demand as organisations increase their spending. Solid Purchasing candidates and high-end Expeditors are also in short supply.
• Property: Property professionals with strong retail development experience are needed as major retail landlords prepare to deliver their development pipelines for 2011. Strong Account Managers are also needed.
• Resources & Mining: Demand exists for Mining Engineers, Electrical & Mechanical Engineers, Design Engineers, Geologists, Maintenance Engineers, Supervisors and Trades, as well as Project Controls candidates.
• Retail: Retail Executives are needed as retailers change their internal structure. Merchandise Planners remain an ongoing area of high demand and short supply. Visual Merchandisers and Store Managers are seasonal needs for the peak Christmas period.
• Sales & Marketing: In response to Australia’s strengthening economy, employers are adding to their sales teams and are looking for Business Developers with a proven ability to generate new business. Demand is also evident for sales candidates with construction and related services knowledge.