Sell Adelaide to me!!

Ktee

Ok as you know I've never been to Adelaide so my opinion is formed from what people say on here and how some people behave. I better not say what my opinion is lol:unsure:

If I think this then I bet the poor families wanting to migrate to Adelaide are petrified, people did this about Cairns yet I absolutely love it here so I am really glad we all have different opinions.

So please people sell Adelaide to us, it can be with photos, areas, things to do, schools, suburbs, weather, anything

In the last two weeks I / my family have:

scuba dived at Noarlunga

walked to morialta waterfall

had a surf lesson at Middleton

Ate fish and chips on the beach at victor harbour

sailed a houseboat down the Murray river

been fishing (although we didn't catch anything)

ate ice cream and fresh doughnuts at Brighton beach

swam in the sea

taken a picnic to belair park

did some wine tasting in Mclaren Vale

walked along hallett cove conservation walk......

and tomorrow we're off to the museum in the city.

my parents are over from the uk so obviously we're busier than normal but honestly if you're going to move somewhere why wouldn't it be here? (It's a rhetorical question please don't feel the need to let me know why!) xxx

In the past two weeks we've done ... Ummm .... ERrrr ..... well .... not a lot really. Other than the usual day to day stuff like working, washing, shopping, taking kids to sports clubs and visiting the mother in law. But we've done it all in (mostly) glorious sunshine with lovely surroundings.

There are lots of things I love about Adelaide. I love that there are miles and miles of lovely beaches stretching from Semaphore in the North West to Sellicks Beach in the south west. If you felt that way inclined you could almost walk from one end to the other with just the odd river mouth to cross on the way. Once you are on the sand the beaches are pretty much the sameand it's what's before the beach that makes one beach a favourite over another beach. There really is something for every taste in beach here.

I love the CBD and the fact that it is surrounded by parklands. I love that the shopping area is big enough to have everything I need and yet not so big that you can't get around easily. I love that even after numerous visits and living here for over 2 years there are still parts of the CBD that I haven't explored yet so there is still something to look forward to going to see. I love being able to park in town and cut through Adelaide Uni to the river and then walk along the river to Adelaide Oval.

There are loads of other great things as well but my OH wants me to help rearrange some furniture. I will post back later with some more of my favourite things about Adelaide.

I'm married to an Aussie so its a bit different for me but here goes following on from Rachael's post

Pics below

1,2 and 3 - Walked up and along Waterfall Gully

4, 5 - Glenelg beach and Glenelg itself are not bad places to hang out. Always lots going on in spring, summer and autumn. It'll be time for the outdoor cinema next to the beach soon I think.

6 - Out in the Adelaide hills. At a certain time of year, the hills look like this, stunning to see :)

7 - And Mt Lofty has a pretty nice view.

8 - And who doesn't love blue birds! Superb Fairy Wrens really are superb :)

More to follow when I can dig out the pictures :smile:

IMG_8577.jpg

IMG_8605.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

IMG_8418.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

Edited by snifter

Can someone please tell me how easy it is going to be to get around in a wheelchair please, also where the dog friendly parks and beaches are that I can use my power trike to take the dog for walks. I know he is an assistance dog so he gets to go anywhere with me but I still like him to have fun and be a dog. He loves the water so the beach is looking like it could be his favorite place!!!

Many thanks

Can someone please tell me how easy it is going to be to get around in a wheelchair please, also where the dog friendly parks and beaches are that I can use my power trike to take the dog for walks. I know he is an assistance dog so he gets to go anywhere with me but I still like him to have fun and be a dog. He loves the water so the beach is looking like it could be his favorite place!!!

Many thanks

There are lots of dog friendly parks around, including specfic dog parks. Most of the parks/reserves I go to are probably fine for a power trike to go over. They all have paths along them, plenty of space and so on.

It probably will depend on where you live really as to what facilities are around. I know where we are you could wander any number of trails and paths for a long long way (some of it is a cycle/walk pathway and lovely to wander along) in a wheelchair but it is rather hilly. Also a dog park and big reserve or 2 are nearby but again, the big reserve is a bit up and down, some wooden bridges to go over and all that, but defo could be managed.

I'm not sure how you would manage beach access. All the beaches we go to are soft sand that then gets firmer once you reach the tide mark. Some of the conservation park has a boardwalk on it but also lots of steps to get to the next section. Plus I don't think dogs are allowed on it. I'd have to have a look at them next time we go. Hopefully others can fill in more on their local beaches for you :)

Don't worry overly though, there will be plenty of places to walk your dog. However, how far you will need to travel will be dependant on where you live. Lots of the city suburbs on the flat have small reserves near roads and there are specfic dog parks for off leash play where lots of dogs and owners meet up. I did think it was rather limiting in terms of woodland trails and all that down there. There are not many nice long walks, at least not from where we were living in Glenelg. Sure there were some walks, but not the kind of dog walking I know and love. We now live in the foothills and there are far more options. Even doing the walk to school in the morning I have 27 different routes I can then wander back with trails, reserves, paths and more to choose from.

Pics 1 & 2 Hallet Cove which has a lovely conservation park we like to hike through, runs along the coast and inland. The Sugarloaf is in the first pic :) Not a great beach at Hallet Cove in terms of sand and swimming, other beaches are far better for that sort of thing, this is more a walking the dog type of beach or rockpooling.

3,4,5 and 6 are of Port Noarlunga beach on a winters afternoon.

7 - Thrown in a pic of Christies beach from last summer.

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

My minds gone blank, but a few pictures out and about.

Adelaide Oval from across the river.

image.jpg

Some parrots having a bath in a puddle. This was taken in the middle of summer when there was hardly any water around. I'm not sure where the water came from, possibly someone watering their garden, but the puddle attracted loads of parrots. Most flew off before I got close but some were brave enough to keep bathing while I took a picture.

image.jpg

Mount Lofty botanic gardens one autumn.

image.jpg

The CBD from a distance.

image.jpg

If you start to hanker after some autumn colours, Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens can tick that box for you on an autumn day. Pack the backpack and a packed lunch, put on your walking shoes and away you go :smile:

The pics are not the greatest quality as it was quite overcast the day we went. We wandered for about 3 hours from the top of the gardens to the bottom and back up again. Was stunning to see it all. We visit all year round and every season is different.

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

The wildlife, all within a couple of hundred metres of our front door. Most of it in or around our garden.

Some of the birds, including a galah, kookaburra, a lorikeet.

Then we have an echidna, a house gecko found in our house one evening, one of the blue tongue lizards living in our garden and lastly a koala in the backyard :) They don't live in the coastal suburbs but are found in the hills where we live and beyond.

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_5114.JPG

15353862921_615afdd743_o.jpg

Adelaide as a city is compact enough that you can get around it easily in a day - beach in the morning, hills for lunch and halfway to the outback for tea... There are some great places to eat (that are family friendly and reasonably priced), there's all sorts of world class entertainment - sporting, music, opera, ballet etc, as well as "stuff" to fill school holidays (Bounce, The Beach House, bowling, swimming - indoor & out, ice skating), museums and the Art Gallery which are just big enough to spend the day in but have exhibitions and displays so you want to go back. The festivals, the Royal Show, Mylor midwinter fireworks and the Christmas Pageant - where else does Christmas start at the beginning of November? There's so much around the city too - the Hills, the walks in the foothills (Morialta, Belair), the beaches, the great play parks wherever you stop and the views - from the Hills across the city to the sea and the other way coming into the city with the Hills behind.

The first photo is the view from our house in Devon (and that was a nice one!), the second from our house in SA. The third is the view from the corner of our road in Devon, the fourth from the corner of our road in SA.

garden3.jpg

garden4.jpg

garden2.jpg

garden5.jpg

Edited by flossybeth
spelling

What a great post to start ktee! Finally some good points about Adelaide! We know we're making the right decision and hopefully more and more pictures surface from other members aswell to show off what Adelaide has to offer! Looks amazing!!

Well I must admit posts like this are selling Adelaide to me, it looks stunning.

I really like Adelaide. Starting from the CBD, as has been said it's good as it's compact and surrounded by the parklands. Means you can have city and green space with ease and lots of cafés, shops and places to explore. The Botanic Gardens are also lovely to spend time in. plus the uni, museums and more.

Things like the fringe festival, Clipsal 500 (car racing), Tour Down Under cycle race, the Adelaide Oval for cricket, Aussie rules and more. Theatre, cinema, entertainment centre, all there. Then there are all the other festivals and events in and around the city throughout the year.

Beaches, lots of lovely beaches, made that bit better as Adelaide is in a gulf. Golden sands, mile upon mile of it along the coast. Yet an hour south drive is Victor Harbor and the great southern ocean. Cooler, rougher waves and stunning coastline.

Suburbs on the flat vary. There are a noticeable amount of new build sub divided houses being built in a number of suburbs to cope with demand. Personally, the modern Aussie long house on a narrow block isn't at all appealing to me, not with a $500,000 price tag attached and we found much more for our money further out in one of the suburbs in the Adelaide hills. However, lots of older or well kept properties to be found in these suburbs but many new builds are squished in.

Love the eastern suburbs, large roads, sidewalks, leafy tree lined roads, some lovely shopping streets and easy access to the city and hills.

Not so familiar with north of the CBD but hear good things about quite a few suburbs heading out from the CBD. QuIte a few of our members live in some of those suburbs and speak highly of them :)

I love the farmers markets, like to visit the Stirling one as it's a lovely town to visit and having the market there just adds to it. Also Hanndorf for a day out or lunch with friends is lovely. Always enjoy a wander round the shops there.

Clarendon has one of the best bakeries I've found here. Our Saturday morning ambles take us out that way and am always happy to stop off there.

We always have plenty to do. Lots of that is family stuff. Hubby has caught up with old friends and made some new ones since he has been back. I've made quite a few new friends, a few ex pats and quite a few Aussies.

Its what you make it. We made it home without much of a hitch. No homesickness, no 2 year period or anything to feel settled needed for me, for us. We landed and pretty much have not looked back. Just got on with living our lives here. Our son loves it, is very happy, loves his school and has made some really good friends. He does lots of sports and we are often at our local oval or BMX track of an evening. Hubby cycles lots, races too. We go out all over on weekends and holidays.

All good from our little corner of the world :)

I love Adelaide. It's been a great place to bring kids up; no regrets there at all from them, or us.

I like the friendliness, the way people are so connected (try wagging school, chances are someone will spot you and dob you in!), I like the way people greet one another when passing in residential areas, or on the beach, etc.

I love the beaches, the reserves with bbqs, play sets for the kids, bmx tracks, skate parks, open air pools, open air cinemas, the view from the city...

All in all, 'my' Adelaide is a big-small place, where you can find things to do, or look forward to, during the year. Where we have a city near enough (assuming you live in Adelaide or the suburbs lol) to travel easily to in the evening, with a fab art gallery, museum, beautiful buildings, a sense of history, mateship, and community.

Plus we can travel to other states for what they can offer, whilst being able to come home and be smug!

:cool: LC

PS. Well done, Ktee, I think you finally got your all-positive thread! :notworthy:

Wow, really can't wait. September's visit can't come quick enough now.

Thanks Snifter for the update on the walks for the dog etc... Going to head to east of the CBD probably looking to be out Norwood or Glenunga by the looks of things.

Think the final decision will be made when we come over in September.

Cheers for this wonderful thread.

Our visa entitled us to live/work anywhere in Australia without restrictions and we chose to come to Adelaide because we felt it would be a good 'fit' for us. We enjoy living here and feel on a day to day basis we have a higher standard of living compared to where we lived in the UK.

We live a 10 minute drive into the city and 15 minute drive to the nearest beach at Glenelg. We came home from work one night last week and we couldn't decided what to have for tea, so decided to go out instead. We drove to Glenelg and had tea there, then had a lovely walk along the seafront and the jetty in the evening sunshine. What a great way to enjoy the evening after a busy day at work.

The Adelaide Fringe is on at the moment, so we are enjoying the fringe events and the buzz around the city.

I'd echo Jessica's thoughts. Our standard of living here is higher than in the UK but I also agree with Jessica in that Adelaide seems to make it very easy for you to step out of the day to day hum drum and have some quite spectacular and unexpected moments. Adelaide does that very well, beaches one side, hills the other and not too big or busy. We are also reasonably close to the Outback as well - it's not a massive drive and your into the Flinders and beyond. Only made it to the outback once so far but it's rather awe-inspiring (this is near Coober Pedy - about 8 hours away):

10552265273_8990ec7ac7_k.jpg

Edited by flossybeth

Clipsal 500...

A day of car races, or do the 4 days.

Where else can you watch porches, american stadium trucks, v8 super cars, Ferrari, classic GT cars, AND a Ferrari F1 car.. All going flat out racing around city streets.

You can spend all day watching the races, and stay for the night concerts, all for the sum of $99..

The foo fighters are in town tonight too, I can here the bass I tiny bit in the distance.