Marks and Spencers - Wanted Down Under!

Jessica Berry

I have noticed a few comments on PIA about Marks and Spencers and as a M&S fan I thought I would email them to let them know we are missing them out here. If they can open a M&S in Singapore and Hong Kong, why not Australia?

So if you are interested, perhaps you can add to the thread and then I can email M&S back again and direct them to our comments and you never know!

This is my email to M&S and their response:

I emigrated from the UK to Australia in March 2007.

Have you considered opening a M&S in Australia, preferably Adelaide where I live?! We had to get our 'M&S fix' when we holidayed in Singapore recently and I think there would be a big demand for M&S here, especially in Adelaide as it has a large number of UK migrants and missing M&S often gets a mention on the internet forums.

Response from M&S:

Thank you for writing to us with your suggestion for a new M&S store in Adelaide. I am pleased that you have contacted us about this as our customer's views are very important to us.

Although I am unable to confirm that we will locate an M&S in Adelaide I have passed your suggestion onto our New Stores Development team at Head Office. They are continually looking for possible new sites and I know they will be happy to give your comments careful consideration.

Thank you again for getting in touch. It is always pleasing to hear from customers who are keen to enjoy shopping with us.

Laura Chaloner

Customer Services Advisor

Retail Customer Services

Tel: 0845 302 1234

Guest graandjac
I have noticed a few comments on PIA about Marks and Spencers and as a M&S fan I thought I would email them to let them know we are missing them out here. If they can open a M&S in Singapore and Hong Kong, why not Australia?

So if you are interested, perhaps you can add to the thread and then I can email M&S back again and direct them to our comments and you never know!

This is my email to M&S and their response:

I emigrated from the UK to Australia in March 2007.

Have you considered opening a M&S in Australia, preferably Adelaide where I live?! We had to get our 'M&S fix' when we holidayed in Singapore recently and I think there would be a big demand for M&S here, especially in Adelaide as it has a large number of UK migrants and missing M&S often gets a mention on the internet forums.

Response from M&S:

Thank you for writing to us with your suggestion for a new M&S store in Adelaide. I am pleased that you have contacted us about this as our customer's views are very important to us.

Although I am unable to confirm that we will locate an M&S in Adelaide I have passed your suggestion onto our New Stores Development team at Head Office. They are continually looking for possible new sites and I know they will be happy to give your comments careful consideration.

Thank you again for getting in touch. It is always pleasing to hear from customers who are keen to enjoy shopping with us.

Laura Chaloner

Customer Services Advisor

Retail Customer Services

Tel: 0845 302 1234

:arghh::arghh:come to oz and leave the uk behind:arghh::arghh: cheers Graham

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Singapore 4.5 million population - 699 sq km

Hong Kong 6.8 million population - 1042 sq km

South Australia 1.5 million population - 983,482 sq km

This could be a potential marketing problem,

Guzzler

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Jessica,

I'd like to add my support to your campaign. We are moving back to Adelaide in November 2008. I lived in Adelaide until 1995 and know what life is like without M&S. It's one of our favourite shops and our whole family will miss the convenience, pricing and quality. It's great for lazy shoppers like me because they do all the hard work for you.

They will more likely open inthe eastern states if at all, You would probably have more luck with getting them to open a concept store in someone else's store, some where like Myers. They might however provide access to their Singapore store by internet.

Good luck with trying though.

Guest ozzy wannabe

Hi

I emailed Next last week with the very same suggestion, they emailed back to say that they were sorry that I felt the choice and quaility of clothing in oz was poor and that they had no immediate plans to open a store here, but that they would send my comments on to the powers that be!!

Maybe if we all email they may consider it?

Vicky

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Personally i'm off Gra's opinion too.....!!

I couldnt see the fuss with M and S in uk.....overpriced....and looking round shops here have seen nothing wrong with the clothes available!!

Dan

Not too far off there Dan, never bought anything from there other than underwear, but can find just as good here!

sarah

Guest Django
hell to M&S bring on tesco, asda, sainburys thats what adelaide need..i remember seeing woolworths for the first here and thinking what the hell are they doing selling food? i thought it was like woollys back in the uk

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest thelincolns
Singapore 4.5 million population - 699 sq km

Hong Kong 6.8 million population - 1042 sq km

South Australia 1.5 million population - 983,482 sq km

This could be a potential marketing problem,

Guzzler

I think you are spot on, Keith :err:

There simply isn't enough market for them to justify set up costs (and the shipping of stock!!)

They could be more likely to offer the option of shipping from Singapore, as Rachel suggested... they might consider that? Dunno abouty duty though :goofy:

Maybe a few shopping gals could simply team up to put up a list of shops on a thread here with good quality shops that can replace the bits that M&S is good for?

Definetely worth trying to make an effort to map out what is readily available... I'm sure it just takes some finding?

Sorry-can't see M&S wanting to embark in such an expensive operation :err:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
hell to M&S bring on tesco, asda, sainburys thats what adelaide need..i remember seeing woolworths for the first here and thinking what the hell are they doing selling food? i thought it was like woollys back in the uk
Huh? Are you joking??!!

Guest Rob and Clare

I would never say never to any Uk retailer coming over, with the poor economy in the UK at the moment if any retailer wants to expand it will have to go overseas, and if it wants to take their brand with them then Canada / Australia / France / Spain are the obvious choices with so many ex pats....

Specsavers have just arrived in practically every shopping centre in Adelaide within the last couple of months, so what's to stop the others...

Everything is all down to supply and demand, if the demand exists then the supply will follow, and as for shipping of stock etc... It's all made in China and Asia, so the shipping will be cheaper into Oz... they would use a 3PL and franchise out the brand to save set up costs....

Guest thelincolns
they would use a 3PL and franchise out the brand to save set up costs....

M&S is very image conscious and still see franchising very unlikely- but hey ho- hopefully they might agree with you :)

Guest Libby1971

I can understand missing the familiarity of shops in the UK, I missed them too when I first got here and it took a while to get used to Aussie style shopping. But then I came here to be an Aussie and live in Aussie shops, buy Aussie food, and live an Aussie life. I doubt I will ever be a surfer chick as my a*se wouldn't fit on a surfboard to be honest but once I take my glasses off I can't see anything anyway, much less a moving expanse of blue haze!!!!!:biglaugh:

Personally I came here to get away from overpriced cr*p made in China.

I do not think it likely that there will be a Next here any time soon or an M&S. To be honest, it isn't financially viable. Hell if Tescos won't/ can't open a shop here what chance do Next or M&S have.

For those struggling to cope with Aussie shops, I feel for you, I really do but feel you may just have to get used to it.

Libby