Adelaide Time Zones...what's your view?

There is quite a bit of debate (and conflicting opinions!) about our time zone.

Does anyone have any views on their preference?

[h=1]Councils split over possible change to South Australia’s time zone[/h]

• LAUREN NOVAK POLITICAL REPORTER
  • The Advertiser
  • April 08, 2015 7:35PM

128894-ea75ebd4-dd98-11e4-bf00-4d5fe57f7b86.jpg

Roadhouse owner Brian Pike, 70, is not fussed because: “We run our own time to suit our business.” Picture: Sarah Reed

DEBATE over changing the time zone has South Australians torn as residents on both sides of the state push for moves in opposite directions.

Some have even suggested the state split into two time zones, although this is not an option being considered by the State Government.

In the South-East, Mt Gambier Mayor Andrew Lee argues it would make sense to turn the clocks forward half an hour and join the eastern states.

On the West Coast, Ceduna Mayor Allan Suter would prefer to shift half an hour back, lessening the gap with Western Australia.

There have been more than 2400 submissions to public consultation on a possible change, and submissions close tomorrow.

Tonight, Investment and Trade Minister Martin Hamilton-Smith will lead a public debate on the pros and cons of three time zone options being considered: to move 30 minutes forward or backward, or maintain the status quo.

[h=3]SA's time zone change[/h]

3Gduepif0T1UGY8H4xMDoxOjBtO_wVGe&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc

A panel representing the business, farming and entertainment sectors will take part.

Mr Suter will represent West Coast residents’ concerns that turning the clocks further forward would harm their health by forcing them to wake in the dark.

“Our preference is to move to true Central Standard Time, back half an hour,” he said.

“Preference No. 2 would be to leave the zone as it is.

“If business is truly being hampered by the half-hour time difference (with the eastern states) it’s a pretty small matter for business to adjust their operating times.”

098218-time-zone-map.jpg

On the border with WA, roadhouse owner Ben Pike, 70, will be keeping Central Western Time or “middle time”, no matter what.

“We run our own time to suit our business, not to suit someone in the city,” he said.

On the other side of the state, Mr Lee said SA had “more connection with the eastern seaboard”.

“It makes sense to join their time,” he said.

Mr Hamilton-Smith said he expected to release a summary of consultation findings by the end of the month and hoped Government would settle on a preferred option in May.

It would then consult again on that position.

“The Government will be looking at the quality of the arguments, rather than the noise,” he said.

Mr Hamilton-Smith said the Government had also commissioned independent modelling on the economic impacts of a time zone change.

Liberal Deputy Leader Vickie Chapman said the Government had failed to provide any independent modelling on economic or jobs benefits during the consultation period.

“How can the Government say this is a real debate when they have failed to supply this sort of basic but essential information?” she said.

For more information, go to yoursay.sa.gov.au/timezone.

I get the businesses saying its awkward with regard to their doing business with the eastern states that are on a different time. I dont see the need to change the timezone for this reason though. Surely people can stagger their working day, some coming in for an 8am or 8:30am start and leave that bit earlier to work with them. Others start a bit later to work later for Adelaide timings.

Farming could be an issue but then you tend to work in daylight hours regardless of the time and in the dark when needs must. When I was on the farm looking at the clock to work out our daily jobs or when to do them wasn't high on our list :cute: It was more sun was up, it was light, you get to work.

All in all I don't mind the timezone here but if they wanted to change it I'd probably soon get used to it :)

I don't really have any strong opinions about the time zone in SA as it wouldn't really effect me that much. I'm with you Tamara about wanting the most useable daylight and thinking about it I think I would prefer longer evenings to brighter mornings but I also like not going to work in the dark.

I'd like more light at the end of the day, not work related but just for social reasons, dog walking, taking kids out to kick the footy, potter in the garden after work.

Having a longer chunk of useable daylight at the end of the day to unwind would be lovely. One of the things I appreciate about the UK is the longer summer evenings.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Yep light evenings for me too......the only thing (apart from people) we've ever missed from the uk is a summer evening in a pub garden when it is light til nearly closing time:biggrin: