A Cautionary Tale

The Monaghans

We're back! We've been offline for a week as our hard drive died, hope I haven't been too technical there for you! Obviously I have a week's worth of threads to read but before I get stuck in can I just remind you all of the importance of backing up all the info on your hard drive thingy on a regular basis. We didn't, and unfortunately we've now lost every picture that we've taken since we arrived in Australia. We're absolutely gutted, all the pictures of the our parents visits, gone.:sad::sad: Suffice to say I will be backing up now, lesson well and truly learned. Thank you to Justin and Chris who gave us help and info when the thingy wotsit packed up and if anybody knows of a data retrieval expert who won't charge the earth, please let us know.

Poor you, my daughter's laptop died in its sleep last week(not good as she's in the middle of yr 12), it was 4 1/2 yrs old and has been nursed along trying to see this year out. Sorry can't help with finding you some one to retrieve your stuff, cos the school's IT tech person got pretty much all her stuff off the dead one onto discs, including all her photos(a lot). Hopefully someone will come up with an idea for you. Commiserations in the mean time, sometimes comps need to be reminded who is in charge!

Guest Django
we've now lost every picture that we've taken since we arrived in Australia. We're absolutely gutted, all the pictures of the our parents visits, gone.:sad::sad:

What a kick in the teeth, You can replace most things but photos are not one of them. :( Tracey puts our photos onto disk but it isn't done as regularly as it should be.

Hope you find someone who can help you out.

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Oh Liz, how terrible to have lost all those memories!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to warn others of the importance of protecting their info. I must admit, I don't think I have backed anything up at all since we got here. Going to do it asap!!!

Thinking of you hun

Libby xx

Guest caoimhe
We're back! We've been offline for a week as our hard drive died, hope I haven't been too technical there for you! Obviously I have a week's worth of threads to read but before I get stuck in can I just remind you all of the importance of backing up all the info on your hard drive thingy on a regular basis. We didn't, and unfortunately we've now lost every picture that we've taken since we arrived in Australia. We're absolutely gutted, all the pictures of the our parents visits, gone.:sad::sad: Suffice to say I will be backing up now, lesson well and truly learned. Thank you to Justin and Chris who gave us help and info when the thingy wotsit packed up and if anybody knows of a data retrieval expert who won't charge the earth, please let us know.

ok there are two ways to do this....

1. Can you see the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) from the 'My Computer' display.....

if not then this could need professional help.....

2. If you can see the HDD that bore all the photos you have lost. then all that is required is a wee programme call 'Easy Recovery Pro' install and run.... i swear by this software... believe me it will save you hundreds of dollars....

the programme is self - explantary

If you have msn add me, and if you have any problems I can talk you through it -stevie@ch1p.co.uk

Guest Guest75

Ouch!!

So sorry to hear about that.

We are all guilty of becoming complacent at times.

Hopefully you may recover the pics.

Orraljet?? On here is a PC buff,perhaps he can suggest something.

Welcome back Liz, I hope you all had a great day with Hattie yesterday, tell her Max sends his love.

Sorry for being thick but by back up do you mean putting onto a disc from the hard drive?

I hate computer technology its full of weird & wonderful words LOL.

Angela

Guest Guzzler&Sas

oh you poor things - any photos I have, next time I have a sort out, I will email to you. I try and copy mine from the computer to disk every few months just in case something happens to the computer and also because my husband is a nag!!!! hahaha!

See you soon

Sas

xxx

Ouch!!

So sorry to hear about that.

We are all guilty of becoming complacent at times.

Hopefully you may recover the pics.

Orraljet?? On here is a PC buff,perhaps he can suggest something.

Thanks for the sympathy guys, it helps but we're still pretty gutted. I spoke to Justin (Orreljet) who gave me the info about data retrieval, it's pretty costly depending on who you go to. I'm afraid it's very much at the bottom of the list for now, paying the gas bill seems slightly more important!:confused:

Guest stufi1997

paying the gas bill seems slightly more important!:confused:

YOUVE GOT GAS!.......ooooooh envy!:huh: As far as photos you should have a bebo site too ,add all your fave photo's so all your family and friends at home can see them too. or facebook...it's always another free backup.....just a thought! Stu.