Headlice

Rachiegarlo

Yes well sitting on a sat night here waiting to go out n pick up youngest from cinema, filling in the time procrastinating on PIA and this thought just pops into my head.....

As a kid in England No one I knew ever got headlice and we were regularly lined up for checks by the nurse, quaking that one of us might have them. My kids when they were in primary school all had these head lodgers at some stage and it was a regular ocurrence for outbreaks in the school. Very annoying.... but not shameful at all just accepted. These pesky lodgers are getting harder to evict, due to tenancy acts favouring them, so anyways I got to thinking whether Headlice were now also more prevaslent in UK schools or maybe they like the weather better here.:biglaugh:

Guest Django

Sophie is always coming home with them. We spend a fortune getting rid of them only to send her to school for the next generation of lodgers to move in. :mad:

Since they stopped the schools from doing the'nit nurse' thing, due to the infringement of the child's human rights, :rolleyes: they are rife in schools around here.:sad:

Pete

Guest Libby1971

I was intrigued by the title of your thread as this is one of those taboo-ish sort of subjects. Everyone knows they are out there but no-one wants to talk about them.

Bl**dy vermin are everywhere...what annoys me is when there is always one kid in the school whose parents do nothing to get rid of them and who keeps spreading his/ her delightful little chums around the place.

:arghh::arghh:

Libby

Hattie's only had them once (so far...) and that was when she was about 18 months old so it was a nightmare getting rid of them, she cried and cried. I know that they're doing the rounds again at her new childcare centre so I have the lovely job of checking her tomorrow. Her hair is almost down to her waist now so I'm not looking forward to it at all....:sad:

Headlice are a nightmare - my eldest has had them a couple of times (luckily not for a long time though!) - since they don't have a "nit nurse" at school anymore its just never ending.

I use tea tree oil and dab a bit at the back of her neck on the hair line where nits seem to thrive and since I've been using it - no nits!! :)

Guest Guzzler&Sas
My sis in law puts a bit of teatree oil in her kids shampoo, it deters them from taking up residence, without resorting to fumigation.

Hi,

Sas does something very similar, she's made a solution up of water and tea tree oil and sprays the girls hair every morning before brushing, so far so good

Guzzler

Guest Guest75
Yes well sitting on a sat night here waiting to go out n pick up youngest from cinema, filling in the time procrastinating on PIA and this thought just pops into my head.....

As a kid in England No one I knew ever got headlice and we were regularly lined up for checks by the nurse, quaking that one of us might have them. My kids when they were in primary school all had these head lodgers at some stage and it was a regular ocurrence for outbreaks in the school. Very annoying.... but not shameful at all just accepted. These pesky lodgers are getting harder to evict, due to tenancy acts favouring them, so anyways I got to thinking whether Headlice were now also more prevaslent in UK schools or maybe they like the weather better here.:biglaugh:

:biglaugh:

The stuff your mind throws up when it wanders!!

My "wander" moment yesterday was thinking about the best meal my Mum uses to make.

Had to be Thick ,flaky haddock shallow fried in breadcrumbs( home done not frozen),New potatoes and Parsley sauce.

Yuummmm!

Guest Nick11

A school opposite where I work did a on the spot headlice check of all students R to 7 last term, which resulted in 140 pupils being sent home with headlice!

No kidding - wouldn't happen in the uk - the amount of times I told parents to check heads as head lice was doing the rounds - and nothing happened - you could see them dancing around their hair as they worked!

Hi all,

thankfully none of my kids have had them yet, but I used to work in their school as a classroom assistant and it was the same kids all the time!

They would get the nurse to phone them and would offer to come out to the house to show them how to get rid of them, without too many chemicals, but the parents would decline and hey presto! The horrible little things would be doing somersaults in the same kids heads the next week!

I bought a solution from boots chemist and spray it on my kids hair everyday, I brought an extra bottle with me just in case I couldn't get it here, it's a preventative measure and again I think it contains tea tree oil.

I used to be terrified talking to the kids that had the nits in the school and would be talking to them at arms length as my hair is long and curly!! the little vermin would love it and think they were on holiday!! The staff new of my phobia of these little things and never used to tell me when an outbreak was in the school again, but I got to the point of watching to see if a childs head was moving if I was talking to them!! Sad eh?

Guest mOZzy

:chatterbox: the are in oz too :goofy:

i thought you had to leave everything living at the border?!?!?!?!?!?

very annoying little beasts!!!

we've got a combe now which works great!!

i might have to get a spare one .. or two :shocked: