It's that time of year again..

Diane

... so if you're out and about walking this autumn and spot some strange round holes in the ground - often around the base of a gum tree - or some weird, strangely phallic objects lying on the group next to said hole..... fear not, it's just the crysalis of a rather large moth that hatches out at this time of year (and also in Spring)! I want to say it's a sphynx moth but someone more knowledgable than I probably knows for sure...

IMG_1580.jpg

Yup, we have those appearing everywhere round here. I was rather bemused when I saw my first one as they are pretty big and you never see the moth, only the husk.

I did some research when I found them and came across the same page you linked to. I've been keeping my eye open at night for the moths but as yet have not seen one.

First time we came across one of the moths when we first arrived I thought it was a bat, was so big! Also as they hatch out when it rains, if we have heavy downfalls I have often seen dozens of them battered on the floor at the local shopping centre - at least we haven't had hail like in NSW though - would be hard for a moth to fly in that!