Sydney NYE2015

Sophie91

Hello

Me and my partner want to go Sydney New Years with my parents who are visiting at the time. We think it will be a great way to round off our first year living in Australia. Any one done this before and got any advice and a good afforadable area to stay the night and not to far to see the fireworks at midnight and maybe a good area to watch them from. Thanks

Hi,

Went there 15+ years ago with my husband when we were both twenty somethings and again this year with our family of five and my sisters visiting family of five. Would thoroughly recommend it - aussies certainly know how to do a firework display. When we went as a couple we went in to the city and hung out for the day. Watched from the botanical gardens and was a great atmosphere, can't remember where we stayed but was probably somewhere cheap on the outskirts with public transport to and from the display. This time round (2014/2015) we stayed in North Bondi and didn't go all the way in. We went to Dudley page reserve - north of north Bondi. Reason we chose here was that it was a 20 min walk / 5 min bus ride from our accommodation, family friendly and still a great vantage point of harbour bridge etc. So if you are young and sprightly and prepared to do public transport I'd go in for the atmosphere. If you can't face the hassle but still want a good vantage point chose one of the options further out - see the website for more info -http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/. Re accommodation its pretty expensive. We used Air bnb and that worked out really well for us. Booked flights one or two months before - didn't break the bank! Good luck & enjoy.

Hi we went four years ago if we went again we would book a hotel within walking distance of the CBD .loads of viewing areas near the bridge / opera house ,but you have to get your spot early it's cordoned off and only a certain amount of people allowed in these areas (on the TV it looks like plenty of room but when they have the quota you can't leave and return) take plenty of supply's .we had to take the train after the fireworks ,packed and scarey never again .Enjoyed the event it's a thing to do but it's a long day .

We did it last year! I think there were six or seven families in total, we drove to Sydney and camped there for a week rather than book a hotel. We stayed at Lane Cove River Tourist Park, if you didn't want to camp you could consider booking a cabin there maybe? Not sure how much they were but our powered site cost us $260 for the week! For NYE we booked Bradley's Head which is the next headland to Taronga Zoo. It was split into two areas, one was for families and we all took chairs, rugs and picnics. This area didn't allow alcohol though. The other area which was inside a kind of clubhouse had a full bar and a band playing. Again, not sure how much that option would be but our area was about $35 each and tickets were limited so that it wasn't too crowded. Thoroughly recommend you do it, it was definitely one off my bucket list!