Recommendations for cycling trails and walking trails with (almost) 3 year old?

Karen S-D

We're coming over for a 3 week holiday/reccie in July and I've been looking at the trails SA website trying to get ideas on what would be a nice cycle trail to do and there are so many options I wanted tips from those who have done them. Something around 8 miles max, preferably circular. Also, any walking trails suitable for a 3 year old which could be recommended would be great (4-5 miles max).

If cycling, we'd be looking to hire two adult bikes, one with a toddler seat and helmets for us all, does anyone know a good place to hire from?

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Hi,

For walking part I would recommend:

Belair park - lorikeet loop walk, there's a great children's playground with BBQ, picnic tables etc about 3/4 of the way round. There are also cycle paths so could be an option for that as well - bikes are still on our list of things to purchase. We've seen koalas and kangeroo's while walking there.

Hallett Cove Conservation Walk - it's a beautiful walk along the coast line - you can walk as far as you want and then turn back. We have walked to Brighton and got the train back but our 2 year old was carried on my husbands back for 90% of it and we live near the train station.

Morialta conservation park - waterfall walk - both my 2 year old and 4 year old can do it fairly easily -(although of course slowly) Can play pooh sticks along the way on the bridges and again look out for Koalas.

have fun - hope the trip goes well x

Cycling trails could prove interesting. In all honesty, there are lots of cycling routes and lanes around. Its more a case of if you just want to see the city, cycle along the river, to Glenelg and back or some such.

I'd look to hiring in the city somewhere or if they hire in Glenelg from there and then cycling from one to the other and back. Its a flat route, dedicated bike route for most of it and if you then cycle round the parklands surrounding the CBD you can soak up the city. Anything away from the flat central area of Adelaide is of course going to involve hills :) Lots of hills.

Have a look at this webpage for cycling maps and suburbs etc.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/cycling/cycling-maps

There are a number of cycle shops around, not sure if they hire bikes. I'm sure there will be somewhere in the city that hire.

There is this too http://www.bikesa.asn.au/AdelaideFreeBikes

The cycle track between McLaren Vale and Willunga is fairly flat, straight and runs through the vineyards - it's very easy and pretty and there is bike higher in McLaren Vale:

http://www.thecarriagecafe.com.au/file/Bike_Hire.html

Just another option.

I'd forgotten about the Mclaren Vale route. Once you get down there it is pretty flat and lovely scenery. Hubby enjoys his bike rides out and down that way, though he goes up int the hills first and drops down into there after.

When we came on holiday we hired the free bikes from the city and rode down the linear trail to the beach. You can now pick up the free bikes from a number of places and they have better bikes now too. You just leave a passport for security, you get helmets and locks too. All for free.