Favourite Australian books?

Karen S-D

I'm currently under the weather recovering from a virus so I've just been taking it easy reading my kindle the last couple of days. I stumbled across a website (link below) about Australia's favourite homegrown reads and downloaded a few of the books mentioned. I finished reading 'Made In Australia' by Chris Kennedy yesterday which I enjoyed and made me laugh and cry, and I'm currently a quarter of the way through 'Cloudstreet' by Tim Weston. Immersing myself in the imagery conjured up by the authors descriptions of the landscapes is making me long to be back in Australia!

My next reads are 'The Harp in the South' by Ruth Park and 'We of the Never Never' by Aeneas Gunn.

Just thought I would share the link for any other bookworms and prompt a debate about any other recommended books?

http://www.betterreading.com.au/book_list/australias-top-100-favourite-homegrown-reads/

Well I haven't read any of the book you mention but one of my favourite things about living here are the Australian books in the library - books I'd have never have read if we hadn't moved because for whatever reason they never seem to make it out of Australia. Not that I can tell you any but I'll use that link and get ordering from my library.

Been meaning to chime in on this thread.

A friend of mine had the idea of starting a book club and so asked a few friends if we'd be interested. About half a dozen of us said yes, up for that and here we are a year or so later and still going strong.

We have a couple of book lists, plus we read the ones the library has to offer. Anyways, there is this fab Aussie author list I've attached and we've all read a fair few from the list. I enjoyed The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. All the book club ladies are Aussies apart from me so most of them know a fair few more Aussie authors and books than I do but its been good to have this list to mull over.

100 1.jpg

100 2.jpg