The Torrens to Torrens upgrade has a capital budget bigger than the Southern expressway and the Adelaide Oval.
It's estimated to create 450 jobs.
It will be disruptive!
Travel time for south to north and vice versa is said to be reduced by 4 minutes when completed.
My trip home from Hindley Street, CBD to Port Noarlunga took 28 minutes on Wednesday evening (9:30) and it took the same time last night from Gouger St.
Three years of traffic disruption in the Darlington area but I quite like the city trip taking me less than 25 minutes in the future...and this upgrade will reduce peak traffic times.
Torrens-to-Torrens South Rd upgrade: Updated plans, extension for road
- LAUREN NOVAK POLITICAL REPORTER
- THE ADVERTISER
- APRIL 29, 2015 1:35PM
Fly over the new South Road
THE non-stop section of the planned Torrens-to-Torrens upgrade of South Rd has been extended by 600m in new plans revealed today.
It comes as an alliance of contractors is awarded the work on the $896 million project.The State Government has also reiterated it has no plans to charge a commuter toll on the road, or any future road projects.New plans for the upgrade of South Rd between Torrens Rd to the River Torrens show a new exit point to the north of Hawker St has been identified for the non-stop motorway portion of the project.Assistant Federal Infrastructure Minister Jamie Briggs said the changes would mean motorists could travel further without interruption, but it would not increase the overall cost of the project.
A screengrab from a new video showing the planned Torrens-to-Torrens upgrade. Here, the traffic heads under a new purpose-built rail overpass that will take the Outer Harbor Line over South Rd.
The upgrade involves a 3km section of non-stop road between Torrens Rd in Ridleyton and Ashwin Pde in Torrensville, with a 2km of lowered road.The lowered section has been extended by 600m, according to new plans released today.The lowered non-stop motorway will provide three lanes in each direction, set about 8m below the existing surface of South Rd, enabling motorists to avoid intersections with Port Rd, Grange Rd and Hawker St, and the Outer Harbor rail crossing.State Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan said more than 180 properties had to go to make way for the upgrade and negotiations concerning “all but about 15” had been finalised.
A screengrab from a new video showing the Torrens-to-Torrens upgrade.
“We’re working very hard to make sure that we can reach an amicable settlement with all property owners along the corridor,” he said.Mr Mullighan said the new road would cater for more than twice the volume of traffic that uses the road.“Today up to 52,000 vehicles a day use the road but once completed this section of the north-south corridor will be able to cater for projected growth of up to 115,000,” Mr Mullighan said.“This project will also increase safety for pedestrians and cyclists with improved footpaths and improved connections to cycling routes such as the Outer Harbor Greenway.
The new South Rd upgrade goes under the overpass.
“It will cut travel times for motorists and other road users while improving traffic flows and reducing congestion on Port and Grange roads.”Construction is due to start mid this year and be complete by the end of 2018.The tender for the upgrade will be awarded to an alliance of Leighton Contractors, Aurecon Australia and South Australian company York Civil.The federal and state governments are each providing $448 million to deliver the upgrade.Mr Briggs said the works would improve traffic flow and create hundreds of jobs.“We are getting on with building better projects at less cost to taxpayers,” he said.State Opposition infrastructure spokeswoman Vickie Chapman said work now must be done on a plan for developing the entire north-south corridor.“For years, the Weatherill Labor Government has had a disjointed approach to transport andinfrastructure that has failed to deliver outcomes for South Australians,” she said.
Adelaide's Lunchtime Newsbyte 29 April
“The Weatherill Labor Government needs to take advantage of the Prime Minister’s offer anddevelop a plan to ensure that an upgrade to the entire corridor becomes a reality.”Mr Briggs said a complete overhaul of the north-south corridor over a decade would “in the end” require investment from the private sector, “particularly the heavy vehicle sector”.Mr Mullighan said the State Government had not changed its opposition to commuter tolls — which he said “don’t stack up for SA” — but was discussing other options with the heavy vehicle industry.“I can absolutely rule out a toll,” he said.“What we’re saying is, of the heavy vehicle taxes that we levy at the moment, is there a better way of doing that and can we more directly and more transparently tie that to future road funding?