Students worth billions to Adelaide

International Uni student numbers a billion dollar boom for Adelaide

• AMELIA BROADSTOCK
  • THE CITY
  • MAY 05, 2015 12:00AM

157412-b854a83c-efba-11e4-a26a-54db2090c4d5.jpg

Malaysian international student Sabrina Ng has chosen to study at Adelaide University. Picture: Roy Van Der Vegt

ADELAIDE’S growing overseas profile is behind a spike in the number of international students choosing to study at the city’s leading universities, academics say.

International enrolments at city universities increased to 13,626 students at the end of March, up from 12,875 at the same time last year.The 5.8 per cent increase comes after Adelaide was listed as the fifth most livable city in the world, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Index, and in at No. 24 on the The New York Times list of the 52 places to go in 2015.Education Adelaide chief executive Karyn Kent said Adelaide’s profile was rising, making it an attractive place for international students to study.“Adelaide is the fifth most livable city in the world and one of the places to go in 2015 … and the city’s profile is rising,” she said.index

“Everyone in Adelaide knows it is one of the best places to live, but making those lists certainly helps us sell the city.“Adelaide is attractive to international students because of its accessibility, affordability and our reputation for safety.“We also have some great universities and a reputation for great education, so it’s no surprise students want to come here to study.”University of Adelaide Pro Vice Chancellor International Shane Thomas said Adelaide’s reputation as one of the best places to live and study was growing each year.“We have a beautiful city, we’re known for our friendly nature and safety record, which are big considerations for parents sending their children overseas to study,” he said.“Adelaide’s profile is only helped by the inclusion on those lists … it’s something everyone who lives here already knows but it’s a great selling point.“We are greatly enriched by the diversity of the students. They’re not just here to study — they live, entertain and shop in our city.”China continues to be our biggest proportion of international students, followed by “other nationalities”, Malaysia and India.Full year figures for 2014 show international enrolments in SA grew 8.5 per cent to 30,726, including 1824 school students.While the figures were still being finalised, it was expected the value of international education to the state would reach $1 billion for 2014.Sabrina Ng moved to Adelaide last July to study an Advanced Bachelor of Science at the University of Adelaide.A friend convinced the 20-year-old to move to Adelaide and Ms Ng said she loved it.“I love Adelaide so much, it was the best choice I ever made (to move here),” she said.“I’m not only getting a great education, it’s a beautiful, friendly and safe city.“I would encourage any international students to consider Adelaide when making a decision to move to Australia to study.”Federal Education Minister Christopher Pyne said: “Australia hosted the largest number of international higher education students we have ever seen last year, and these early 2015 figures suggest this year will be even better.”

not sure about that Tamara;

http://indaily.com.au/opinion/2015/02/04/adelaides-uni-city-dream/

Dream might be over, and as a mentor to a number of masters overseas students from 2012 through 2013, I'd agree with the article I posted, you can only commoditise education for a short period before the market moves away, and in adelaide's case , it has. It's cheap to live and study in adelaide, but all the Uni's here have lost out to online delivery because of myopia, lack of vision of just plain adelaide sloth, pity really, but too late.

Advertiser as usual is on the ball, but about 18 months to two years too late with the scoop, which is about normal lag for the rag.

Sorry @deryans but I'm not sure how an opinion piece about UCL closing it's small Adelaide campus in 2017 is relevant to the fact that there were 8.5% more international student enrolments in 2014 compared with 2013.

Tamara I think it's great for Adelaide that the total number of International students has increased but the feeling where I work is that it is going to be difficult to continue to grow international enrolments going forward. Universities would certainly like to take in many international students as they bring in far more money than the domestic ones.

because Uni's literally have a "scorched earth" fee regime with foreign students, which is a joke, the chaps I mentored on the masters program for Uni SA spent 56K over two years, or was it 18 months ?, the locals spent about 14, bet not many of those foreign students are out there in singapore and germany recommending Uni SA.

because Uni's literally have a "scorched earth" fee regime with foreign students, which is a joke, the chaps I mentored on the masters program for Uni SA spent 56K over two years, or was it 18 months ?, the locals spent about 14, bet not many of those foreign students are out there in singapore and germany recommending Uni SA.

But international fees have been high for a long time and yet the students still come. 8.5% more in 2014 than 2013. And the really good students, especially at higher degree level, can get scholarships that pay for fees and some living costs. The other Universities in Australia also charge large international fees, so it is not unique to Adelaide. I believe the Unis in the UK also charge high international fees so it's not even unique to Australia.

Just to add, those students you mentored, had they done their masters with UCL in Adelaide they would probably have paid even more - fees for UCL masters students are currently around $32k a year.

Edited by NicF
added some

The article says that international student numbers are up to 13626. Don't you think that this is worth a fortune to the local economy?

It also says that the profile of the city has been enhanced by being listed as the 5th most liveable city in the world.

It adds “Adelaide is attractive to international students because of its accessibility, affordability and our reputation for safety"

It's a real pity that you didn't like your time here and that you see fit to counter any positive aspect with a negative one.. I loved my busy 6 months that I spent in London and wonder where you find the time to dwell on your negative Adelaide experiences. I trust that the people, job, and environment in your present world will provide you with utopia. :smile:

Lets step back , from the distance the big picture becomes more understandable.

First, Australian tertiary education is not about education.Education is supposed to underpin industries, but decent industries (that is - not agriculture and mining) never really existed on a half decent scale, and even that is rapidly disappearing.

Second, international value of Australian education is 0. Australian diplomas are not recognised in any country except Australia itself.

http://www.unesco.org/education/studyingabroad/tools/conventions_eur_member_states.shtml

Third, the cost of studies is obscene for both international and domestic students. You can get internationally recognised diploma for much less in any country from the list above that is a member of UNESCO convention.

Fourth, Australian education is all about immigration. Got Australian diploma - then your permanent residency will be pretty much rubber stamped.

If you quadruple the fees - number of students will be still growing. Money is not the issue.

Population growth in Chindia already put them on the brink of a food crisis. They will come here because they need to buy agricultural land, because they are allowed to buy agricultural land and they have no other choice.

And our intelligent Government instead of creating the situation where we can control these (not exceptionally friendly to us) countries securing the future food supply works hard to give these countries control over us in the future.

It is illusion that they are paying us. This is us stealing from our grandchildren.

"This is us stealing from our grandchildren."

Appropriate from someone who seems to relish in nothing but property investment.

Yeah, right.

Property investment is stealing from children and grandchildren.

And we (property investors) must be shot on a first sight.

Where would you get rental accommodation - nobody cares.

And we perhaps import all those bricks, cement, timber houses made of. And building sites are overcrowded by Chinese and Indians.

My friend, if you think for a minute (just a minute - stop yapping at a pub how much you have been hurt by your bloody landlord) - you would notice that apart from residential building there is pretty much nothing left to move the economy.

There are a few misconceptions about international students in this thread. Getting a diploma far from rubber stamps your pr application. They have made it near impossible after most courses (and I speak as someone who got their PR after doing a diploma just as the worst of the changes were coming in).

Also, online courses are not eligible for student visas.