Entertainment book, Adelaide 2015/16

snifter

Got my mits on ours this morning :biggrin: Wasn't sure which forum was best to post this in, its a bit of everything, so thought here was the best option :)

We already have a fair few vouchers we want to use from it and both hubby and I are hoping that having our own book this year (instead of sharing with family) means we might make more use of the vouchers and offers, visit a few more places, meals out and so on.

I ordered ours through the school so they get 20% donated to them iirc. Ordered it one day, picked it up the next.

Anyone else got one on order or considering buying one this year? I wish I'd gotten one last year but as the family got organised ahead of me, I ended up not doing so. This year decided to give it a try ourselves and see if its worth it to make it a regular thing.

For new arrivals or those arriving soon who might not know about the entertainment book, here is the blurb on it for you :smile: It costs $65 for the book btw. Make sure it has the gold card inside to go with it. Covers Adelaide, the Adelaide Hills, Kangaroo Island, Clare Valley, Barossa Valley, Mclaren Vale, Voctor Harbor and more. Runs from June 1st 2015 to June 1 2016.

http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/about/Tell-me-More/Adelaide

We are excited to announce the 2015 | 2016 Entertainment™ Memberships are available now!

Discover hundreds of valuable up to 50% off and 2-for-1 offers for many of the best restaurants, cafés, arts, attractions, hotels, travel, shopping and much more – choose your way with the following:

Available now, the new 2015 | 2016 Adelaide Entertainment™ Memberships still sell for just $65 and you’ll receive over $20,000 in valuable offers you can use until 1 June, 2016.

MEMBERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

CONTEMPORARY DINING - All offers 2-FOR-1 or 25% OFF! - Imagine over 150 offers for the finest restaurants like...

fine-tell-me-more.png

• Georges on Waymouth
  • Jolleys Boathouse Restaurant
  • The Lenzerheide Restaurant
  • The Lion Hotel
  • The Grill @ The Stirling Hotel
  • Mesa Lunga
  • Rigoni’s Bistro
  • Botanic Gardens Restaurant
  • Celsius Restaurant & Bar

• The Victory Hotel
  • Grace the Establishment
  • T-Chow
  • Orientai
  • Curious Squire
  • Miss Perez
  • Ding Hao
  • The Stag
  • Beyond India
  • Gusto Ristorante
  • Parlamento

and many more..

CASUAL RESTAURANT AND FAMILY DINING - All offers 2-FOR-1 or 25% OFF! - Discover over 310 offers for the best pubs and casual restaurant like...

casual-tell-me-more.png

• The Alma Tavern
  • Mawson Lakes Hotel
  • Largs Pier
  • Hackney Hotel
  • The Gully Bistro
  • Oakden Central
  • General Havelock
  • Seacliff Hotel
  • Belgian Beer Cafe
  • Hotel Crown

• TGI Friday’s
  • Bracegirdle’s House of Fine Chocolate
  • Caffe Acqua
  • The Clubhouse
  • Billy Baxter’s
  • The Colonnades Tavern
  • Alberton Hotel
  • The Espy
  • Empire Hotel
  • Exeter Hotel

and many more...

INFORMAL DINING AND TAKEAWAY - All offers 2-FOR-1 and up to 50% OFF! - Enjoy over 60 offers for the most popular takeaway chains like...

informal-tell-me-more.png

• McDonalds
  • Hungry Jacks
  • Boost Juice
  • Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar
  • McCafe
  • Salsa’s Fresh Mex Grill
  • Wokinabox
  • Red Rooster
  • Oporto
  • Coffee Club

• Cheesecake Shop
  • KFC
  • Wendys
  • Hudsons Coffee
  • Zambrero
  • Donut King
  • Marcellina’s
  • Movenpick Icecream
  • Pasta to Go Go
  • Cold Rock Icecream

and many more...

ARTS, SPORTS AND ATTRACTIONS - All offers 2-FOR-1 and up to 50% OFF! - Enjoy over 90 offers for the most popular arts, sports and attractions like...

A26-Zoo.png

• Wallis Cinemas
  • AMF Bowling Centres
  • Hoyts
  • Port Power
  • Womad
  • Adelaide United
  • Thredbo, Falls Creek, Hotham
  • Reading Cinemas
  • SA Jet Skis
  • Event & Greater Union & Birch Carroll & Coyle & Village Cinemas

• Adelaide Zoo
  • Sealink
  • Palace Nova
  • Monarto Zoo
  • Mt Barker Golf Course
  • Flagstaff Hill Golf Course
  • Kingpin
  • Ice Arena
  • The Beachouse
  • Adelaide Aquatic Centre

and many more...

TRAVEL, LEISURE AND ACCOMMODATION

Valuable and exclusive leisure offers for over 1,700 resorts and hotels across Australia and New Zealand, airlines, car and motor home hire, theme parks, travel insurance, cruises and much more.

travel-tell-me-more.png

• Emirates
  • Crown Towers
  • Hyatt
  • Sea World
  • Dreamworld
  • Hamilton Island

• Virgin Australia
  • Hertz
  • Europcar
  • Avis
  • Apollo Motorhomes
  • QBE World Assist Travel Insurance

and many more...

RETAIL AND LOCAL SERVICES - Popular online and local retailers, including discounted gift cards, magazine subscriptions, florists, fashion, jewellery and more...

retail-tell-me-more.png

• David Jones
  • Chemist Warehouse
  • Drakes Supermarkets
  • JR’s surf & Ski
  • Autobarn
  • SportsPower
  • Shoe Shed
  • Lana Lang Shoes
  • Innerware
  • Charlesworth Nuts
  • Dreamland Bedding

• Woolworths
  • Anytime Fitness
  • Hypoxi Australia
  • Midas
  • Marshall Batteries
  • Ezyflix.tv
  • Renniks Hire
  • Indica Spa
  • Tip Top Dry Cleaning
  • Karl Chehade Dry Cleaning
  • Price Attack

and many more...

@NicF Flicking through, the cinema deals, Kangaroo Island and Port Adelaide footy ticket deal more than cover the cost of the book for us. Plus the wildlife parks and zoos and also the dolphin cruise and a few other things. Can save on all those if we all go or if its two adults going along to some things.

I'm interested to see how many we do actually use and what we are left with at the end. Its a bit of an unknown and I'll keep track of what we use. I have a friend who buys one every year and pretty much makes use of everything she can in it or passes on what she doesn't use. She won't miss buying one and sings its praises so it'll be good to see if it stacks up.

@samandcraig Its a bit of a door stop isn't it :cute: Hopefully you'll get some good use out of it and also it may give you ideas of places to go or things to try, restaurants, trips and stuff you might not know exisited. That was one of the incentives for us getting it this year. Hubby and I have been a bit slack getting out for nights our or meals together since we bought the house so we are hoping that we can put the food ones to good use and just do a bit more. We have a good social life but seem to slack on date nights and all that as most of the time its family things or friends with kids too.

Only problem for new arrivals is that you have to buy it through a community organisation such as school, SLC etc.

Perhaps people could 'promote' where to get one which would assist new arrivals without connections and also help whatever club etc the person recommends?

Only problem for new arrivals is that you have to buy it through a community organisation such as school, SLC etc.

Perhaps people could 'promote' where to get one which would assist new arrivals without connections and also help whatever club etc the person recommends?

Fair point.

As I said, we got ours via the school who sent home a letter with the info and the URL of where to order online. Then could either select to have it posted ($10 or so) or collect from the school where they have a pile in stock. I'd hope asking around at local groups or places you visit or services you use would probably find you able to get one. For those with kids in school ordering via the school would hopefully be the easiest option. Our school some of the parents organise it each year.

If I find any local groups offering it I'll be sure to post back here which ones.

On the website it says

Entertainment™ Books, as well as the Entertainment™ Digital Memberships for smartphones, are sold throughout the community as a fundraiser. These include:

• Charities
  • Schools
  • Day Care Centres and Kindergartens
  • Rotary Clubs and Lions Clubs
  • Sporting Clubs
  • Religious Groups

• Hospitals
  • Corporate Social Clubs
  • Research Foundations
  • Scout and Girl Guide Groups
  • Surf Lifesaving Clubs
  • Local Community Services Groups

and many others

In order to support the fundraising organisations, we are unable to sell books directly. To purchase your copy of the Entertainment™ Book or Entertainment™ Digital Membership, you will need to select a fundraising organisation that you are affiliated with, or would like to support, and contact them directly. Your purchase helps them with their fundraising with 20% of every sale going directly towards their cause!

If the organisation you support is not selling, or you are having difficulty in finding a book, please contact

your local office for assistance. Alternatively, you could choose to distribute the Entertainment™ Book as a fundraiser or member benefit for your organisation.

Good idea if you are going out to keep your book in the car as well - that way if you fancy something to eat, you can look up anywhere nearby that has a voucher.

The other thing people do is swap vouchers with others (often through the forum) so that if say their favourite local restaurant has a voucher and they have used theirs, they can swap a voucher for somewhere they are unlikely to go to themselves with one for their favourite place. North/South for instance.

I can't believe people are still buying the book!

If you download the App, you get to register it on multiple phones, you get updated offers throughout the year with newcomers to the scheme, and you don't have to worry about forgetting to take the book everywhere with you.

Our kids have it on their phones, 1 pays at the aquatic centre while the other gets in free. We get our money's worth 10 times over every year!

If you download the App, you get to register it on multiple phones, you get updated offers throughout the year with newcomers to the scheme, and you don't have to worry about forgetting to take the book everywhere with you.

Our kids have it on their phones, 1 pays at the aquatic centre while the other gets in free. We get our money's worth 10 times over every year!

But how does that help the charity or fund raiser?

Not much use use to me - I don't have a smart phone.

We thought about downloading but went with the book as we are going to give some vouchers to family and friends. I don't mind not having another app on my phone but do appreciate that it's usually always with you so handy in that respect.

I love the digital. I got it this year. In the past I've bought the book and while I got my money back on the $65 it is too bulky to take with you and so a lot of them went unused. The digital one for those who can have it on their phone is great. You can tap it and it will immediately pick the local offers nearby or within a certain area. I got mine online from the Seniors Information Service. Just paid on line and had it immediately.

I buy one every other year generally, save more than the cost of the book, and give vouchers I won't use away. Makes you go places you might not try without a voucher too. thinking about online version this year as I do agree that otherwise there are vouchers you may have used but don't Good to read people are liking the app version, I believe it also keeps track of what you save?

Looks like those who get it do save using it. And that the app is working well :)

I've already earmarked a heap of vouchers for family so am happy I can pass those on from the book version at least.

I'm sure we'll keep getting it each year now but will perhaps try the app next year if we don't get on with the book.

Someone bought us the book when we came last year and we got their mo day back. Also I buy the wish cards at 5% discount then use them for shopping. Easily got cash back from that alone can use in lots of places. Was thinking about the digital version for this year. Good to know that hubby and son can have it too as that did make me wonder as he often takes a voucher from the book. All the updates are on line any way so I found myself searching in two places.

We use the phone app, it calculates how much you save...........$625 this year just on restaurants and bars. We have used it at Stella at Henley about ten times. It can be installed on 3 devices.

Good to know how many devices it can go on. It'd only be hubby and me if we got the app next year but I'd consider letting one of the other family members have it on their phone too if I could trust they wouldn't use the vouchers I really want :cute:

Good to know how many devices it can go on. It'd only be hubby and me if we got the app next year but I'd consider letting one of the other family members have it on their phone too if I could trust they wouldn't use the vouchers I really want :cute:

Its worth putting the spare one on a friends phone who doest live near you and they put you on theirs, this way you get to use ones near you that they don't use and visa versa.......

Edited by snifter
fixed quote tags

Its worth putting the spare one on a friends phone who doest live near you and they put you on theirs, this way you get to use ones near you that they don't use and visa versa.......

Ooo good idea. Thank you.

Most of the family are within 20 minutes or so of us but there are a couple living 45 mins away who may use the book/app. And some friends also far enough away to not often cross paths with. I'll ask around and keep it in mind for next time.

I sat down yesterday evening and had a good browse of the vouchers on offer. Lots we can make use of or family/friends will. I'm liking the zoo and wildlife park ones. And the Port Adelaide and soccer games. Cinema, paintball and other things, all good. And Foodland ones will come in handy when I shop. I don't shop there too often but will make an effort to visit more than I do now (which is a couple of times a month). The big one is of course the Kangaroo Island ferry voucher. We are planning on going sometime in the next 8-9 months so it will defo come in handy.

I can see there are some we won't make use of, some meal deals or 25% off the bill type ones in areas we never really go and are too far just for a meal out one evening. A few places we won't visit either. And some other stuff. Oh and the skydiving ones. Yeah, nope :nah: Not even a discount is going to persuade me to jump out of a plane strapped to someone who is strapped to a parachute :biglaugh: I'll check with family and friends if they want them and if not I'll offer them to people here :) Happy if people want to swap in return also but am fine to just pass them on so no worries :smile:

I found a lot of the retail ones not much use as they only discount off full price goods, I just wait for a sale and get them cheaper. Similar with the holiday ones. When I look for a deal through the book I can usually get a better one without it!

not saying I didn't get value for money though I sure did, just not everything is good.

One year when my parents were visiting, the Ents Book had a two for one voucher for a four day Murray River cruise. They were intending to do that anyway so I got the book for them, and using the voucher saved LOADS - can't remember if it was $1,000 but pretty close to it from memory - so they got a four day, all food included cruise for effectively half price.

Perhaps anyone considering doing something slightly out of the ordinary - skydiving, vintage plane flying, trip to somewhere, etc etc - that doesn't yet have a book could post on here before booking, and see if there is a voucher available for them in the book, then on the basis of that either get the book or negotiate with someone for the use of their voucher.