Salvo's doorknock appeal this weekend...

This is a good thing to support.

$800.000 in one weekend...

It's not an easy job knocking on doors and asking for money.

Salvation Army SA hopes to raise $800,000 from the Red Shield Appeal doorknock weekend on May 30-31

• ROXANNE WILSON
  • THE ADVERTISER
  • MAY 29, 2015 11:57PM

401090-7866a056-05c5-11e5-be88-d6033706b750.jpg

Matisse is ready for this weekend’s Red Shield Appeal. Picture: MIKE BURTON

FOUR-year-old Matisse will be one of many smiling faces rattling buckets for the Salvation Army’s Red Shield Appeal doorknock this weekend.

Salvation Army SA public relations secretary Rod Reeve said it is hoped the doorknock weekend — now in its 50th year — would raise $800,000 locally.The national fundraising goal is $9.5 million.“We’ve gone very close in the past so we’re really hopeful people get behind the cause,” Mr Reeve said.“It is needed now more than ever before because we have a growing number of people who are coming to us for assistance and we want to be able to help them.index

“I think life is getting very tough for a lot of people out there.”Mr Reeve said last year more than 15,000 people came to the Salvation Army’s SA division for emergency relief.“The fact is we never know what is around the corner for each of us — there might be issues of job loss, there might be issues of illness,” he said.401118-f6b0bbea-05c5-11e5-be88-d6033706b750.jpg

Matisse is ready to help in the Salvation Army’s Red Shield Appeal. Picture: MIKE BURTON

“People who haven’t come to us before could in the future.”Mr Reeve’s son Matt, 37, said his family — including daughter Matisse — would take part in the doorknock weekend.“For me, it is more about getting kids to be aware of the needs of other people in the community,” the Felixstow resident, who also works for the Salvation Army, said.“This is a really practical way for them to see the needs of our community.”Donations to the Red Shield Appeal can be made by calling 13 SALVOS (13 72 58) or online at salvos.org.au

Oh I remember this from last year. Happy to donate if they knock :smile:

We'd not long moved into the house when we had a lady from the next street knocking on our door introducing herself and I thought how lovely she was taking the time to come over like that. She chatted for 5 minutes then flashed me the card and tin asked me for money, saying it seemed a bit cheeky as we'd just moved in but it was the collection day. Never seen her since lol. I wonder if she'll be back this weekend :cute:

Edited by snifter
added a bit

I had a guy turn up yesterday, just as I was feeding the baby, so was covered in food. So I had to grab her out of her highchair, getting covered in slime to go to the door. I had no cash anyway, so said sorry no. The poor guy said he'd had that from a lot of people. It couldn't have been much worse timing for us though.

I've nothing but a few 20 cent coins in my purse. The down side of using a card to pay for most things these days is that I rarely carry cash.

I've raided the piggy banks and found a few dollars that I didn't know I had in a pen pot so have put that to one side in case they call round.

Edited by snifter
typo

That's a good idea, Snifter!

I am going to do the same thing - I honestly never thought of it; how silly is that?

Mind you, I'd be surprised if anyone comes round here. I did it for three horrible, awful years, until last year I told them I simply couldn't bear it, but would collect at work. Where I made as much with little effort.

It wasn't that people were rude to my face or anything, I just hated asking, or the times I knew they were in, but ignoring me. It wasn't a good feeling :frown:.

That's a good idea, Snifter!

I am going to do the same thing - I honestly never thought of it; how silly is that?

Mind you, I'd be surprised if anyone comes round here. I did it for three horrible, awful years, until last year I told them I simply couldn't bear it, but would collect at work. Where I made as much with little effort.

It wasn't that people were rude to my face or anything, I just hated asking, or the times I knew they were in, but ignoring me. It wasn't a good feeling :frown:.

I can apprecitate that LC and think its great you did it for a few years and helped collect. Good on you.

I think door knocking companies trying to sell stuff has really put people off answering the door in recent years. Back in the UK when we moved to a town I used to get fed up the amount of sellers calling just as I was about to sit down to eat tea or when it was kids bathtime or some such. I know its the time when most people are home but really, do they expect anything other than harrassed parents or people tired after a long day at work to be answering the door saying 'Sure, I've got half an hour to sign up to donate and ensure you get paid a finders fee'. Not in our house.

When we lived rural we never had a soul doing that sort of thing obviously. And thank goodness.

Its not been so bad here but we do see one every now and again calling at all the houses. Last time was some guy saying he was from some garage or other and trying to drum up business. Hubby told him he wasn't interested as we have someone service our car already thank you :) And that one of the franchises of this company charged extortionate prices and we were put off ever using any of them therefore. Other ones I've just said thanks but no thanks. I never pretend I'm not in nor am I rude but if I'm busy I make sure to say so and get back in as quick as possible :cute:

I can apprecitate that LC and think its great you did it for a few years and helped collect. Good on you.

really, do they expect anything other than harrassed parents or people tired after a long day at work to be answering the door saying 'Sure, I've got half an hour to sign up to donate and ensure you get paid a finders fee'.

Yes, I agree. I wonder what the future of fundraising will be. I mean, the whole door-knocking thing must cost money.

The Salvos (for example) don't pay their collectors, but I wonder whether they pay the people who phone around trying to source collectors? Then there's the sending material out, the material itself, follow-up calls and texts, and the thank you letters once everything's in.

I know there are charities that already pay a finder's fee, but I'm not always sure which ones. Since there are so many registered charities now, I tend to be like you, I open the door, explain we donate to our chosen charities, so thanks for the opp, but goodbye.

As for the collectors outside shops, how many people actually carry cash nowadays? I feel their good nature and time is being ill-used, but perhaps that's just because I have no idea how much they raise.

Anyhow, back to the topic! The Salvos do fantastic work, so let's support them all we can :notworthy:

LC