Where to go for Snow?

etch123

Hi All,

We've promised our kids that they would experience snow (for the first time). Was thinking of heading down to Melbourne during the school holidays and going to mt. baw baw. But I was wondering if there are any spots in SA where it usually snows in the winter? don't need to ski, just maybe enough to have a toboggan ride and build a snow man etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Very sadly snow is not one of Australia's finer points. I really miss skiing. I took my kids to Mt Buller for a weekend just to see if it was worth booking a ski holiday. It wasn't. I'd seen better snow on the Malvern Hills back in the UK. It was grey, slushy, sloppy and wet. Easy to rent toboggans but take a wet suit. However, friends ski at Falls Creek and enjoy it although they do say the weather / snow is a bit hit and miss and its not good to good early. From memory staying in the resorts is expensive. I stayed in a small cottage near Mansfield just found through the web. Everything was good apart from the snow.If there is proper snow the mountain roads are closed unless you have snow chains - they can easily be rented at local petrol stations.

Sorry - just saw your bit about snow in SA. It doesn't exist unless you fancy waiting for the 1 in 50 year flurries around Mt Crawford. I'm in the Barossa which is near to what must be one of the coldest parts of SA - Mt Crawford / Williamstown / Springton and its not snowed in the 5 years I've been here.

Edited by spanners

I remember that Mount Lofty had a little snow...can't recall whether it was 2 or 3 years ago? I was going to take the kids but the traffic alert said that everyone was clogging the roads. I don't think that it was snowman building stuff? but maybe good for a few snowballs. I am sure that many PIA members commented on it....

I remember that Mount Lofty had a little snow...can't recall whether it was 2 or 3 years ago?.

Yes, I remember listening to it on the radio. I did a quick search, and found this:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/snow-at-mt-lofty-more-wild-weather-coming/story-e6frg6n6-1226493307107

If you ignore the pics of Hallett (nowhere near Hallett Cove btw), you can see how little snow excites people here. Even my kids have forgotten what snow is really like, but one day, we will get to the snow!

I remember being at school one day when the skies threw down a huge amount of hail. The kids rushed out to look at it, but then it came (I think) not too long after our water shortage had become pretty dire.

@etch123, I hope your kids have a fab time wherever you end up going. I couldn't advise you, but I do know there are usually vouchers / offers on sites like Groupon, etc so they might be worth a look?

:cool: LC

Yes, I remember listening to it on the radio. I did a quick search, and found this:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/snow-at-mt-lofty-more-wild-weather-coming/story-e6frg6n6-1226493307107

If you ignore the pics of Hallett (nowhere near Hallett Cove btw), you can see how little snow excites people here. Even my kids have forgotten what snow is really like, but one day, we will get to the snow!

I remember being at school one day when the skies threw down a huge amount of hail. The kids rushed out to look at it, but then it came (I think) not too long after our water shortage had become pretty dire.

@etch123, I hope your kids have a fab time wherever you end up going. I couldn't advise you, but I do know there are usually vouchers / offers on sites like Groupon, etc so they might be worth a look?

Thanks!

So it was snowman building stuff! Last time my kids saw snow was when we spent a winter in Weston Super Mare...that was in 2000! Now it grandchildren and maybe Mount Lofty will grace us with snow this year! :smile:

I remember that day well - we were camped at Wilpena Pound, trying to pack up the tent that morning was a nightmare as our hands were like blocks of ice! We had enjoyed 30 degree heat a couple of days before at Arkaroola and hadn't packed for Antarctic weather conditions!!

I remember that day well - we were camped at Wilpena Pound, trying to pack up the tent that morning was a nightmare as our hands were like blocks of ice! We had enjoyed 30 degree heat a couple of days before at Arkaroola and hadn't packed for Antarctic weather conditions!!

Sounds like Adelaide. All 4 seasons in one day. I remember walking on the sunny beach one morning and getting pelted with hailstones in the afternoon!:biggrin: