I could use some help/advice on how best to re-inform the inlaws that we are moving to Adelaide in 10 and a half weeks.
That sounds really bad - so let me explain a bit more.
Hubby and I started the visa process in November 2013 but decided to keep everything quiet until the visa was granted as we knew it would upset his parents. They aren't the most adventurous people (his dad's family all lived in the same street for gernations and generations!) and don't like change, there was huge drama when hubby's older sister moved to a town 20 miles from where the parents live (to be fair though she does have a little son); however there wasn't too much upset when hubby and I moved 80 miles from Exeter to Bristol.
The visa was granted to us in early December and we weren't going to see his family until Christmas so we decided to tell them on boxing day that we were planning on moving to Oz this September. We also said that our honeymoon in March was also going to be used to decide the city we wanted to live in - at that stage we thought we'd end up in Melbourne as there are a lot more jobs. Hubby's parents were really upset, lots of tears, shouting and of course the "I'm not happy with you". We were fully expecting that.
So we went on honeymoon/recci in March had a great time, didn't like Melbourne as a city to live in, and instead settled on beautiful Adelaide. When we got back from the honeymoon we told the in-laws all about it and were totally honest saying we didn't like Melbourne but found Adelaide beautiful and imagine it would be a great city to live in.
Nothing more is said about the move for a few months. We then booked our flights in mid-May, meaning we knew for definate when we are moving (2nd of Sep). The in-laws were going on a cruise for 2 weeks at the end of May and hubby was unsure if it would be better to tell them before or after the holiday, so he spoke to his siblings and they all agreed that it would be best to tell them when they got back, which is what we are planning on doing this weekend. However, hubby's sister has said that the parents have told themselves we aren't going ahead with the move as we didn't like Melbourne! We did think things had been a bit too calm, but just presumed they were getting to grips with it, not going into denilal!!
Hubby and I are absolutley dreading this weekend now, it is going to be hideous. We expect shouting, crying and almost full temper tantrums! I imagine they will say "but you said you aren't going" and "why are you only telling us 10 weeks before you go" "we'll never see you again!"(we are going back in Oct 2016 for brother-in-laws wedding and have deicded to come back for Christmas 2017) etc etc etc.
Does any one have any ideas on how we can break the news gently to them? Anythnig that may soften the blow? We have already bought father-in-law a place on a fear of flying course (he has never been on a plane and thinks it is an unnatural way to travel). I know there is never going to be an easy way to break the news but any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the essay