2 weeks in LOOOOOOONG Post

Guest ali@51

Guest ali@51

Hi All,

We’ve been here just over 2 weeks now so I thought I’d let you know our 1st impressions. So here goes:-

FLIGHTS: - Singapore airlines were excellent I couldn’t sing their praises enough. Nothing was too much trouble. The 1st 12hour flight was fine the kids were very well behaved and I was proud to be their mum. The only problem was the idiot in front who looked at me sat their with 3 kids on my own and pushed his chair back so far I couldn’t even see the TV. He didn’t get much sleep though as we kept banging the back of his chair and swinging off it as we got in and out(we couldn’t help it honest!!!!!) As for the young lass in the next seat who followed his example she just succeeded in bringing her hair within Pippa smear distance. I kept thinking oh no she’s just had yogurt /sweets /dinner! I bet her next hair was interesting. The 2nd flight was not as pleasant the older 2 slept for most of it but Pippa made sure no one around us got any sleep.

AIRPORTS:- Manchester was busy and dirty but they did notice I was on my own and provided a nice man to help me get the kids and bags to the plane without being asked so I was impressed with that. Singapore was ace and the transport hotel was worth its wight in gold it ment we could have a few hours sleep and we had somewhere to leave the travel bags whilst we went for a swim and a wonder. The swimming pool was an amazing experience swimming outside in the warm with the planes taking off around you. Adelaide airport was smaller than I thought it would be but still very spacious. I did wonder weather we would be allowed into the country as both the girls decided to through paddies and I kept expecting a hand on my shoulder and to be invited to get on the next flight back.

HOUSING:- The OAA is basic but dose what is required it is in a reasonable area and is very centrally located. It has 3 bed rooms 2 have 2 singles in each one and the main bedroom has a double bed and a cot. The only issue I have had is where to put clothes ect as their is a lack of storage. We have just hered that we have got a 4 bed rental in Greenwith. The only one we have looked at. We feel very lucky to have got it as it is in just the right area and not many 4 bed rentals come up. Whilst we could have managed with a 3 bed a 4 bed will be much better for my sanity! When we went to look round we were one of 5 families in the 1st ½ hour. We must have done something right however as they rang us to offer it to us today.

DRIVING:- We now have 2 cars Mine is a kia Carnival(Sedona) same colour and age as the one I had in the UK and Morgan’s is a Kia Sportage. So we are all Kia’d up! The roads here are big wide and pleasant but the speed limits are very low and the Australians seem to obey speed limits. The roads are great but you have to drive them like your grandma. Speed limits here seem to be just that and not a target to aim for !!!!! Morgan has learnt this lesson the hard way as he managed to get a speeding ticket within a week of being here.

JOB:-Morgan has a job for a firm that has not had a accountant before and he is to start part time at the beginning of July for 4/5 months and then to go full time. He is really excited about the challenge and I am happy that he is going to be around to help us get settled.

WEATHER:-this has been very pleasant to say it’s winter. We celebrated the first day of winter by going swimming and playing in the fountains at Glenelg. It dose however get cold at night.

SCHOOLS:- We went and looked round 5 schools 3state and 2 private. In the end we settled on Golden Grove State Primary. It has 600 pupils but the facilities and space were amazing and the head was very impressive. The kids start on Tuesday. Our second choice of school was Golden Grove Lutheran school (private) but as we liked them both for different reasons and couldn’t find anything wrong with GGP we decided to go for the cheeper option and reassess in 12months.

CHURCH:- We managed to find a great bible based church in the centre of Adelaide. It was one we had been told about before we came to Adelaide and we feel very comfortable their and their are excellent facilities for the children.

GENERAL:- We feel as if we have got a lot of practical things done so far but we have also managed to find time to enjoy ourselves. We saw a Dolphin just of Glenelg beach and that was worth the journey on its own. Me and the kids also spent a very enjoyable Sat afternoon in the park were we met a very nice PIA family. The kids all had a water fight and I took them home in the nude again. Thanks Shonagh , Jason and Amy we had a great time and will be in contact soon.We are very happy here so far but I think we will have a better Idear as to weather we want to stay or not when normal life has been going on for a while. When Morgan is back working the kids are at school and things have settled down. So far we love it but it is very much a honeymoon period so we are going to be a little reserved and say so far so good!

I can’t think of anything else for now but if we can help anyone with more detail let us know.

Ali

Guest moonraker1959

Hi,glad to hear you are reasonably settled!My twin lives in Greenwith (I am still in the UK but am looking forward to coming home)and she really likes living there.You are close to Tea Tree Plaza,which is a great place to shop,also close to Tea Tree Gully Swimming Pool (where I practically lived during my teenage years)and close enough to the foothills (I used to live way over the top of them in a small town)if you want to experience the countryside!You should meet quite alot of poms around that area as lots settled there and in surrounding area's a few years ago.Good luck and hope it all works out for you!

Guest isandev

You deserve a medal for getting you all there without any breakdowns!! Sounds like you are settling in just fine. Good luck and keep us informed.

Guest Django

Well done Ali. Good to see things are going well. Love the bit with Pippa on the plane. That'll teach those in front to tip the seat right back.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Guest cunnah10
Hi All,

We’ve been here just over 2 weeks now so I thought I’d let you know our 1st impressions. So here goes:-

FLIGHTS: - Singapore airlines were excellent I couldn’t sing their praises enough. Nothing was too much trouble. The 1st 12hour flight was fine the kids were very well behaved and I was proud to be their mum. The only problem was the idiot in front who looked at me sat their with 3 kids on my own and pushed his chair back so far I couldn’t even see the TV. He didn’t get much sleep though as we kept banging the back of his chair and swinging off it as we got in and out(we couldn’t help it honest!!!!!) As for the young lass in the next seat who followed his example she just succeeded in bringing her hair within Pippa smear distance. I kept thinking oh no she’s just had yogurt /sweets /dinner! I bet her next hair was interesting. The 2nd flight was not as pleasant the older 2 slept for most of it but Pippa made sure no one around us got any sleep.

AIRPORTS:- Manchester was busy and dirty but they did notice I was on my own and provided a nice man to help me get the kids and bags to the plane without being asked so I was impressed with that. Singapore was ace and the transport hotel was worth its wight in gold it ment we could have a few hours sleep and we had somewhere to leave the travel bags whilst we went for a swim and a wonder. The swimming pool was an amazing experience swimming outside in the warm with the planes taking off around you. Adelaide airport was smaller than I thought it would be but still very spacious. I did wonder weather we would be allowed into the country as both the girls decided to through paddies and I kept expecting a hand on my shoulder and to be invited to get on the next flight back.

HOUSING:- The OAA is basic but dose what is required it is in a reasonable area and is very centrally located. It has 3 bed rooms 2 have 2 singles in each one and the main bedroom has a double bed and a cot. The only issue I have had is where to put clothes ect as their is a lack of storage. We have just hered that we have got a 4 bed rental in Greenwith. The only one we have looked at. We feel very lucky to have got it as it is in just the right area and not many 4 bed rentals come up. Whilst we could have managed with a 3 bed a 4 bed will be much better for my sanity! When we went to look round we were one of 5 families in the 1st ½ hour. We must have done something right however as they rang us to offer it to us today.

DRIVING:- We now have 2 cars Mine is a kia Carnival(Sedona) same colour and age as the one I had in the UK and Morgan’s is a Kia Sportage. So we are all Kia’d up! The roads here are big wide and pleasant but the speed limits are very low and the Australians seem to obey speed limits. The roads are great but you have to drive them like your grandma. Speed limits here seem to be just that and not a target to aim for !!!!! Morgan has learnt this lesson the hard way as he managed to get a speeding ticket within a week of being here.

JOB:-Morgan has a job for a firm that has not had a accountant before and he is to start part time at the beginning of July for 4/5 months and then to go full time. He is really excited about the challenge and I am happy that he is going to be around to help us get settled.

WEATHER:-this has been very pleasant to say it’s winter. We celebrated the first day of winter by going swimming and playing in the fountains at Glenelg. It dose however get cold at night.

SCHOOLS:- We went and looked round 5 schools 3state and 2 private. In the end we settled on Golden Grove State Primary. It has 600 pupils but the facilities and space were amazing and the head was very impressive. The kids start on Tuesday. Our second choice of school was Golden Grove Lutheran school (private) but as we liked them both for different reasons and couldn’t find anything wrong with GGP we decided to go for the cheeper option and reassess in 12months.

CHURCH:- We managed to find a great bible based church in the centre of Adelaide. It was one we had been told about before we came to Adelaide and we feel very comfortable their and their are excellent facilities for the children.

GENERAL:- We feel as if we have got a lot of practical things done so far but we have also managed to find time to enjoy ourselves. We saw a Dolphin just of Glenelg beach and that was worth the journey on its own. Me and the kids also spent a very enjoyable Sat afternoon in the park were we met a very nice PIA family. The kids all had a water fight and I took them home in the nude again. Thanks Shonagh , Jason and Amy we had a great time and will be in contact soon.We are very happy here so far but I think we will have a better Idear as to weather we want to stay or not when normal life has been going on for a while. When Morgan is back working the kids are at school and things have settled down. So far we love it but it is very much a honeymoon period so we are going to be a little reserved and say so far so good!

I can’t think of anything else for now but if we can help anyone with more detail let us know.

Ali

Hi Ali,Morgan and kids!

Fab post!your amazing doing that flight on your own!great to know you are a family unit again!

must have been very difficult for you all!

Hope you find everything that you are looking for!

Good luck on your adventure!

GILL

X

Guest salisbury massive

You won't go far wrong with Golden Grove Primary, there are plenty of English families that go there and its a well respected school locally. There are quite a few of us in the Golden Grove, Greenwith area and I think you've done really well to get a rental there with the market being so tight at the moment.

if you need any help - give us a shout.

Jo