Our first week in adelaide....

Kerriandcarl

Hi we arrived in adelaide just over a week ago and thought we would let people know how we are getting on. It is currently winter here and is very cold, seen rain the majority of our days here, however it has had a couple of nice days with the sun shining but really cold on a night and gets dark very early. Other than the weather we have achieved a lot, we set up Medicare, bought a car and sorted out our driving license. We are currently staying in Christies beach in a short term rental, we had a drive around areas and we really liked the look of hallet cove, however we couldn't find many rentals in that area so we viewed two properties in seaford which we also liked the look of. We put in an application for one of the rentals and it was accepted- we get the keys next weekend :-)

My partner had one job interview and got the job, he is a carpenter, he starts on Monday. (not sure if it was luck but it only took him one week to find a job), me on the other hand hasnt found work yet, I've applied for two jobs but not heard anything as of yet, I'm looking for office work. We are still looking at some schools for my 6 year old, I haven't found the right one yet. Other than that things seem to be going well for us.

Either of us have never been to Adelaide before.. I will be honest about our first impressions (Bare in mind we have arrived in winter).. We find it it quite old fashioned, I do feel like I have gone back in time slightly but in a way I kind of like it. It is hard to say if Adelaide is for us yet.. I Feel summer time will be good here but to be honest winter is not that good, but much better than our UK winter, we spent the day in the park the other day and it was beautiful. . It is a huge change for us and we are taking one day at a time, it's early days yet but we have been successful in what we have done so far and I have a feeling things can only get better... Excited to see what awaits us over the next few months x x

Also.. I am really missing family and friends back home and do feel quite lonely at the moment.. Does anyone fancy meeting up? I am 26 and my partner is 28, we have a 6 year old daughter. We are happy to go bowling, our for tea, meet in the park or just have a few drinks at home or anything really. My partner starts work next week and I am worried about not having anything to do so I would be also up for joining any groups, gyms or just meet for a cuppa? X x

It's great to hear how you are doing! I think you'll actually enjoy spring and autumn way more than summer! Last summer wasn't too bad, but we have some shockers. It can be upto 45c which is no more fun than winter.

That's great news about your partners job. It's good to hear it isn't always so bad finding work. Many of us haven't looked around for a long time, and can only go on the media (which of course is doom and gloom).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there :)

I've been away and am just getting caught up with things on the forum and so have only just seen your post.

Glad to hear some of the big things have fallen in to place for you guys so early on. Finding a rental and a job are two of the big things to get sorted so having managed that so early on, well done on you both.

Don't fret on your job hunting too much atm. Of course, keep looking and applying but I'd focus a bit on making sure your daughter is settling well, sorting school out for her and then finding your feet there, perhaps getting to know some of the other Mums and being there at drop off and pick up and so on. That way you'll hopefully get chatting to a few others there, perhaps make a few friends. I did this and two of the Mums I got to know at my sons first school here have become great friends and although two out of the three kids now attend different primary schools the friendship bonds for kids and parents have well and truly taken root and we see a fair bit of each other.

Adelaide can have that stepping back in time feel to it. I think its part of its charm, a bit like visiting old towns and villages in the UK. But it has its modern side in terms of buildings and goings on. As you find your feet and your way round you'll see lots of difference aspects to the area I am sure. Winter is never the greatest time to arrive so try to keep positive about the weather and the rain :) It will pass and warm sunny days are on the way. I find spring lovely here and its probably my favourite time of year. Also it can help lift the spirits about a move the other side of the world once the sun comes out a little more.

Keep us posted. I always like to hear how things are going for new arrivals, postives and negatives. I am coming up on 2 years here soon and will be doing another write up to share how things are going for us. All in all, its been a really good move for us a family and we've no regrets. A few niggles along the way but we've overcome those and are living our lives here :)

Hi Kerrie,

I am moving over on January with my wife and 4 kids as my work have offered me a position in Adelaide. My wife is very nervous about coming over and leaving everything we have built over here in the last 7 years. Live in Norfolk, but moved up from London. We're both 31, and it would be good to meet some people who have been/are going through the same experience when we get there.

Im coming over in September for a couple of weeks to have a look around and suss out the areas. Kat can't come as its too long to leave the kids, so have to do the reccy by myself, and make a start on my new role. Don't know if you and your other half would be interested in meeting up for a drink so i can pick your brains on your experiences and the areas etc???

thanks

Alex

Hi Kerrie,

Hubby and I are moving over in 4 weeks. He's 30 and I'm 23. It's really good your husband found a job in a week! We've kind of had the wind taken out of our sails following a call from the recruitment agency we've been using. They told us that the bottom has dropped out of the finance market (we both work in accoutnacy) and we'd struggle to even secure temp posistions at the moment :(. We are going to give it 4-6 weeks and if after that time there are no jobs on the horizen we'll probably head to Brisbane. BUT if we do manage to get work in Adelaide we will be moving to the south of the city, Port Noarlunga, Seaford.

It sounds like it was easy for you to secure a rental, did your husband have his job by then or did they just accept you on basis of work prospects/savings?

We visited Adelaide for a reccy in March and loved the feel of the city, it feels very small and close knit. Everyone seemed so friendly, helpful and relaxed, it didn't feel like a major city. We did laugh as when we went to the bank and the teller was moaning it was cold - it was 19c outside, in England there would be some moaning it's too hot!!

I'm sure you will end up to love the little city :) If we end up staying in Adelaide we'd be happy to meet up for a few drinks/coffees etc

Zee xx

Hi alex

Its normal for your wife to be feeling nervous, I was exactly the same, it is such a big thing to do and moving away from everything you have always known is difficult but I just had to keep positive and think back at why I wanted to make the move in the first place.. And I feel less nervous when I think that it doesn't have to be forever if it doesn't work out. We are experiencing winter here so it's not great but I know come summer it will be totally different and I'm really excited for it. There seems to be so much to do and see in Adelaide which we haven't done yet so lots to look forward too.

Send us a message once your over in sept and we will be more than happy to meet you for a beer / tea out and offer any advice. Good luck with everything, your brave coming over to do your reccie on your own! Everyone seems really friendly though so I'm sure you will be absolutely fine x

Hi Kerrie,

I am moving over on January with my wife and 4 kids as my work have offered me a position in Adelaide. My wife is very nervous about coming over and leaving everything we have built over here in the last 7 years. Live in Norfolk, but moved up from London. We're both 31, and it would be good to meet some people who have been/are going through the same experience when we get there.

Im coming over in September for a couple of weeks to have a look around and suss out the areas. Kat can't come as its too long to leave the kids, so have to do the reccy by myself, and make a start on my new role. Don't know if you and your other half would be interested in meeting up for a drink so i can pick your brains on your experiences and the areas etc???

thanks

Alex

Hi zeebeth,

That doesn't sound good with regards to you job roles!! Hope you can secure something, this is our 4th week now and I haven't managed to find work either. I would try and stay longer than 4-6 weeks if you can afford I'm sure something will come up eventually. Would you consider doing another type of job whilst something came up?

My partner is now working but neither of us had jobs When we applied for the rental. We went to the bank and printed out a bank statement to show we had enough money to cover bond and rent. We also shown mortgage statements from when we was in the UK to prove that we was decent payers too and they accepted our application straight away without any questions.. I think it might depend on which rental you find and how many applicants might of applied but we was worrying about it and it all worked out fine. We wa also worried about my partner finding work too and he was offered a job within the first week.

Let eat us know once you arrive and we will meet up, we are in seaford :-) good luck with everything and see you soon x x

Hi Kerrie,

Hubby and I are moving over in 4 weeks. He's 30 and I'm 23. It's really good your husband found a job in a week! We've kind of had the wind taken out of our sails following a call from the recruitment agency we've been using. They told us that the bottom has dropped out of the finance market (we both work in accoutnacy) and we'd struggle to even secure temp posistions at the moment :(. We are going to give it 4-6 weeks and if after that time there are no jobs on the horizen we'll probably head to Brisbane. BUT if we do manage to get work in Adelaide we will be moving to the south of the city, Port Noarlunga, Seaford.

It sounds like it was easy for you to secure a rental, did your husband have his job by then or did they just accept you on basis of work prospects/savings?

We visited Adelaide for a reccy in March and loved the feel of the city, it feels very small and close knit. Everyone seemed so friendly, helpful and relaxed, it didn't feel like a major city. We did laugh as when we went to the bank and the teller was moaning it was cold - it was 19c outside, in England there would be some moaning it's too hot!!

I'm sure you will end up to love the little city :) If we end up staying in Adelaide we'd be happy to meet up for a few drinks/coffees etc

Zee xx