Royal Adelaide Show

snifter

It's starting Sept 4th

http://www.theshow.com.au/index.jsp

Recent arrivals might fancy a day trip to see what it's all about. I liken it to a County show in the UK, although it has some things not seen at those. Livestock showing isn't as big as what I am used to but still a fair amount.

I really enjoyed the the wood chopping (yes, men really do chop wood) and some of the live acts. Show jumping was good too. As was the dog agility.

And of course the show bags! It's a thing here. Me, I thought much of it was overpriced tat but hey :cute:

Lots of kid friendly stuff and things for the grown ups too. Food and drinks can be pricy there. Am taking a lunch and drinks for us this year. Not paying $15 for a plate again this year.

Also schools close on a weekday and have a show day. Lots of pupils attend the show on their given closed day. We did this last year and will go again on the closed day this year. Check newsletters or school calendar to find when yours are off.

I didn't get to go last year due to a family illness but this year it should be fine!:smile:

You can save some money by pre-purchase of entry and activity tickets. (IGA / Foodland)

Does anyone know of any other ways to save a few $?

Her's some of what's going to be there...

Royal Adelaide Show | Two Full Weekends | 4 to 13 Sep 2015

The-Show-2015-banner-630x630.jpg

There’s plenty to get excited about at the 240th Royal Adelaide Show. Taking in two full weekends and running for ten days in total, this year’s Show promises to be bigger and better than ever.

From the theatrical extravaganza The Magical Gift of Mother Earth – a celebration of agriculture and those that live and work on the land that’s been exclusively created for the Show, to the glorious horticulture displays in the Goyder Pavilion, the 2015 Royal Adelaide Show will showcase the best of South Australia.

New in 2015 is Canstruction® – an amazing display where local engineers construct all manner of things from food cans, all of which are donated to charity after the Show. There will also be the Racehorse to Showhorse competition in the Main Arena, the Year of the Soil exhibition in the Grains Pavilion and checking out the thousands of artworks on display as part of the Royal Adelaide Art Show.

From Cookery and Craft to Poultry and Pigs, competitions are a big part of the Show and they keep going from strength to strength. The 2014 Show broke the record books, attracting 33,688 entries across 64 sections – 2,400 than the previous record set in 2013. Make sure you check out some of the winning entries on display or soak up the excitement of the judging ring when you’re at the Show.

Old favourites like the exhibition pavilions, a jam-packed entertainment program, great food, carnival attractions, showbags and the nightly fireworks will return, and there’s an amazing array of free things to do at this year’s Show – many of which are covered in the Show Magazine and theshow.com.au.

Show bags, rides, games, animals, exhibitions, entertainment and delicious, sweet sugary food all in a single days outing! For TEN days this September thousands of people will head to the showgrounds each day to take in the sights of this magical event. There is something to keep the entire family entertained at the Show, both young and old, day and night!

Plan your Day at the Royal Adelaide Show

To help you plan your day out, the Royal Adelaide Show have put together sample itineraries for three different groups of Show attendees – families, adults and young adults/teenagers. All of the things to see and do on these itineraries are completely FREE! These are just suggestions though – if you find yourself with more time or one of the things listed isn’t for you then you can easily see or do something else! Click here for all details. They have also put together a list of the top 100 Free Things To See & Do! Click here for the list. For Younger Kids

The Kids Carnival, located north of Jubilee Pavilion, is the Show’s largest dedicated children’s area providing parents with a pleasant place to relax and an exciting array of entertainment for younger thrill seekers. Appealing to families with children aged up to seven, the Kids Carnival features quality games and novelties and junior amusement rides as well as a kid’s rest and play area in the middle. royal-show-kids-rides-630x630.jpg

What’s Hot this year!

Major Attractions and Displays

• Canstruction® is a global build competition to construct fantastic, giant sized, structures made entirely out of full cans of food. The competition not only proves the engineers’ creative ability, but also reveals their philanthropic side, with all cans of food being donated to Foodbank. Canstruction ®, will be built on Monday 7 September and be on display for the remainder of the Show.

Show-Canstruction-630x444.jpg

New Entertainment for 2015

• The Magical Gift of Mother Earth. Click here for more information.
  • The Treble Men – Acappella group
  • Rooftop Express – First time in SA, livestock stunts with true blue showmanship and comedy
  • Concours D’elegance – parade of harness horses on the Main Arena
  • Dog entertainment during lunchtime (except Sundays) – Howling Huskies, Yard Dog display
  • New to the Coke Stage: Pip Comic Magician – Direct from Las Vegas; The Dress Up Box – storytelling out of the box; Honey Remixed – female singers with a female DJ and drummer taking entertainment to the next level.
  • New to Kids’ Corner: Funny Farmers – comical, musical, educational farmers; The Boom Stars– funky foursome of entertainment for the children

show-mother-earth.jpg

New Rides for 2015

Kids love the fairground rides and this year there are four new rides added to the line up.

• New Ghost Train ride – The Spook
  • New Red Baron ride
  • New Dodgem track
  • Double decker carousel

royal-show-rides-day-630x630.jpg

The-Show-at-night-630x449.jpg

Things the kids will love…..

• Kids’ Corner in the Goyder Plaza featuring children’s entertainment from 11.30am to 4pm daily
  • Kids’ rest and play area in the middle of the Kids’ Carnival
  • BankSA Farm Walk
  • Golden Grains Pig Racing
  • Diving Pura Milking Barn
  • Yellow Brick Road
  • The Learning Centre
  • BankSA Farmyard Nursery Show Train
  • Dog Pavilion
  • Kids’ Boat Building
  • Kids’ Carnival Pet Centre
  • Nightly firework displays

The Jubilee Pavilion has more than 300 exhibitors showcasing their innovative products and services and offers after 7pm Specials. There is a section especially for the kids with everything from children’s clothing, a wide range of remote control toys, fairies and fairy clothes, to having your child’s photo taken with a character. There will also be a magician and face painter to entertain the children.

In the Goyder Pavillion the ABC Radio Stage is back with live broadcasts, Horticulture, Fashion Health & Beauty, Arts & Crafts, Millinery, Quilting, Embroidery and Cooking all in one place. The Goyder Pavilion will be an irrestible, must visit destination at this year’s Show.

The Learning Centre is always a family favourite with lots of interactive and informative activities for families and children of all ages in a safe and supervised environment.

To view or download a copy of the Main Arena Program, click here.

royal-show-utes-bikes-630x630.jpg

The-Show-fireworks-630x630.jpg Admission

Click here for admission prices. Tickets are on sale now!

Pre-purchase ticket entry options are a saving of up to 15% and ride coupons are a saving of up to 20% when compared to gate prices. Pre-purchased ticket entry and ride coupons can be pre-purchased up to and during the Show (not at the Show gate) and can be redeemed any day of the Show. Ticket and ride coupons can be pre-purchased at IGA & Foodland Supermarkets, Ticketek and via theshow.com.au. Family Value Pack cost $145 per pack

Valued at over $200 per pack. Family Value Pack Includes:

• Show entry for 4 people
  • Food & drinks for 4 people
  • 2 Showbag vouchers
  • $40 of BankSA Discounted Ride coupons
  • Parking at the Netball SA carpark excluding Saturdays when it’s at 1 Richmond Road (includes FREE Shuttle bus to and from the Showground).

Extra child tickets are $45. Up to 3 additional Child Value Pack tickets can be purchased in conjunction with the purchase of the Family Value Pack.

You can pre purchase Family Value Packs from IGA/Foodland supermarkets and Ticketek www.ticketek.com.au up to and including the duration of the Show.

Please refer to The Show website for all details plus terms and conditions.

Royal-adelaide-show-Family-value-pack-630x449.jpg

BankSA Discounted Ride Coupons

Pre-purchase up to and including during the Show ride coupons from Ticketek, theshow.com.au, IGA or Foodland for use on ANY DAY for all carnival rides. $40 worth of ride coupons for $35 or $100 worth of ride coupons for $80.

Discount Days

On Wednesday 9 and Thursday 10 September 2015 from 9am until 1pm, adults, pensioners and students can enter the Show at the child price of $15. Remember, all children under 5 years are free. NOTE: After 1pm all entries will revert back to the normal gate price.

If your child is at school, check which day they have off for ‘Show Day’ so you can plan ahead and perhaps take the same day off work. A great tip that was circulated last year is to take a photo of each child before you get to the show – if the worst scenario happens and they become lost, you’ll have an exact image of what they are wearing to show authorities. Another friend of mine always writes her mobile phone number in permanent marker along her child’s arm…(not sure how long it takes to wear off)! Also if you have a skateboard for your stroller it’s worth using it for an older child who may still find it tiring to walk to and from the car and all over the showgrounds. show-under-5-free-630x445.jpg

For everything you need to know about The Show head to the official Show website or follow their Facebook page.

What: Royal Adelaide Show 2015

When: 4-13 September 2015 | Gates open 9am daily | attractions operate until 10pm every night (weather permitting), except Saturday 5 & 12 September and Friday 11 September when they close at midnight and Sunday 13 September when it will close at 9.30pm.

Where: Adelaide Showground | Goodwood Road, Wayville

Who: All Ages!

All photographs are the personal property of the Play & Go Adelaide Editors.

At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.

You can also save on ticket prices if you are an RAA member.

I do agree that it is expensive for a family, but there is nothing else like it in SA, and the children seem to enjoy it. We do the Yellow Brick Road and as many of the free entertainment things as we can, buy a showbag and are usually gone by 5.30, but for those who stay late there are fireworks each night.

Parking is difficult and expensive as well, so it is often cheaper to use the train or tram.

We'll be going again - oldest is showing with school again; steers and orchids and this year 3 of us have entered the open cookery category; I'm doing a sponge, the oldest is doing a veg cake and brownies and the youngest has gone for the healthy lunch box. The boy just wasn't joining in (but he'll have a show bag thank you very much :) ) and I'm hoping to convince my husband to do the men's cake next year (he's back in the UK for this one)...

Funnily enough, we don't actually get an official show day from school, even though the high school actually has entries. I think this year I might take the youngest two out of school on the day the oldest is showing rather than run a Saturday on my own.

We have parked under the SA Power building (I think it is) for the past couple of years and have only paid $10 for the day - and the money goes to charity.

You guys are doing it wrong if you're spending that much lol. we are a family of 5 and it has never cost us more than $100. Kids aren't allowed on rides (too expensive and after last year, my reasons were proven!) but we've never even had time. So much free entertainment, animals, main arena events. We eat food samples, spend on treats and take a packed lunch. The kids have $5 for a showbag and if they want a more expensive one they have to use their pocket money - but as others have said, mostly its overpriced crap so they don't tend to bother. I remember doing the whole day for less than $50 when some of the kids were free to get in.....

• 2 weeks later...

Right with you on that jo_marnes....we avoided it last year and this year I'm going just me and the kids as hubby working we sometimes allow a cheap show bag but generally say they can have a set amount each to buy something less krappy at the shops instead of a show bag ...last time we went they got a skateboard each with their money..,we always take lunch and lots of drinks this year were even getting in for free so a bargain and no never do the rides we never have time but I don't like them anyway....part of the reason we missed the show last year was cause of what happened it kind of took the fun out of it and I thought it respectful not to go I knew ppl that went the following day after not sure how they could

You guys are doing it wrong if you're spending that much lol. we are a family of 5 and it has never cost us more than $100. Kids aren't allowed on rides (too expensive and after last year, my reasons were proven!) but we've never even had time. So much free entertainment, animals, main arena events. We eat food samples, spend on treats and take a packed lunch. The kids have $5 for a showbag and if they want a more expensive one they have to use their pocket money - but as others have said, mostly its overpriced crap so they don't tend to bother. I remember doing the whole day for less than $50 when some of the kids were free to get in.....
Edited by snifter
fixed quote tags

We've already been for this year :)

Paid the family of 4 pre purchased ticket which was a whole $1.50 cheaper than buying 2 adult and 1 child PP tickets.

Son bought a proper show bag this year. He used his own money and he spent ages narrowing it down :goofy::SLEEP: But got there in the end. Hubby went hardcore and got a Warhead one. Lots of face pulling at the sour sour sweets contained within.

We went in the on train, got there about 11:30, took a packed lunch and headed for the main arena to watch the cars and motorbike stunts while we ate (and to help lighten the load being carried :cute:). Then took off for an amble, checked out the kids farm, animals, tech and Goyder pavillion and other things. Saw a few small shows on various stages, enjoyed the artwork on display. Had a wander round the fun fair, checked out the dog showing arena. Son wanted to go on a fun fair ride so we found one that stayed close to ground level that looked ok and he was made up with it. It was 2 for $15 or per person $10 each so we did the $15 option for the fun fair ride. Saw the woodcutting for a while too.

By about 6pm we were pretty much done but headed over to watch the dog agilty for a while till it was closer to our train departing. Didn't stay for the fireworks, we were all knackered.

All up a good day. We didn't spend more than about $120 all up including entry. The $15 for the fun fair was what took us over the $100. It would have been less still but hubby wanted a show bag. And I needed a coffee so had to splurge $5 on that :confused: And bought a few goodies from the food hall. Making a curry tonight with the curry spice mix I bought there.

We took all our own food and cold drinks. If we had had to buy food also we'd have spent a heap more. Chips were $5 a small portion and a 500ml fizzy drink about the same. Not cheap.

All up, had a good day. Happy we've been and done it for this year :)

I'm refunding to take the kids this year. The eldest just isn't bothered about going, although he would probably enjoy going with friends and the youngest just wants to go for the show bag. He quite likes the animals but isn't really interested in much else and he hates the noise and the crowds and last year he was ready to go home after a couple of hours. I'd quite like to go without the kids and have a good look round everything but I don't have a day when I could go by myself. Maybe next year.

I will be in the UK next year.

As a comparison the Yorkshire show prices are:

about double the cost?

2015 Ticket Prices:

[TABLE=class: responsive, width: 700]

[TR=bgcolor: #E8F1F4]

[TH=bgcolor: #6EA343, align: left][/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #6EA343, align: left]Gate Price 2015[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #6EA343, align: left]Advance Price 2015[/TH]

[/TR]

[TD=align: left]Adult[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£26.00[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£23.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Concession (age 60+ & students)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£25.00[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£22.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: left]Child (age 5 - 18)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£12.00[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£10.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Family (2 adults & 3 children)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£64.00[/TD]

[TD=align: left]£56.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

NB: Tickets are valid for any one day.Advance Great Yorkshire Show tickets will also be available from the following outlets until Monday, 13th July: